C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 Windshield Frame with 56 Door Posts

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 60 Windshield Frame with 56 Door Posts

OK, now that I am in the final stages getting ready to assemble things while I was ordering door trim and seals I figured out that I have a 60 Windshield Frame and 56 Door Posts.

Has anyone used this combination in the past and are there any issues other than a mismatch of seals?

It is strange, when I look at the repro windshield frame from CC they use the same frame 56 -61. Not sue which posts they have reproduced but I will also give them a call.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:37 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

I just had a talk with Mike at CC and he said older door posts will work with newer windshield frames but not the other way around.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I had a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago when I bought rechromed posts for my 60. When I went to put my window channel in, I noticed that my left post was a 59-61 style and the right post was a 56-58 style.

I certainly didn't want to put 2 different weatherstrips on the car, so I studied the difference and determined that I could remove the "cap" on the right post (56-58 style) so it would match the left post (59-61 style). So, I got out my dremel and, with great trepidation, cut the cap off the right post. I took my time so I didn't cut off too much or make a bad cut or mar the new chrome. It turned out extremely nice. Both posts match and I can use the 60 weatherstrip for both sides. Before the weatherstripping goes on, all you can see is about a 1/16" line on the two top corners where the material was removed. This will be covered once I get the weatherstrip on.

IMO, you can use your posts as is and just get the appropriate weatherstrip, or you could do to both posts what I did to my right post so you essentially have 60 posts on your car.

Terry
Old 06-02-2015, 02:03 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 427390HP
I had a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago when I bought rechromed posts for my 60. When I went to put my window channel in, I noticed that my left post was a 59-61 style and the right post was a 56-58 style.

I certainly didn't want to put 2 different weatherstrips on the car, so I studied the difference and determined that I could remove the "cap" on the right post (56-58 style) so it would match the left post (59-61 style). So, I got out my dremel and, with great trepidation, cut the cap off the right post. I took my time so I didn't cut off too much or make a bad cut or mar the new chrome. It turned out extremely nice. Both posts match and I can use the 60 weatherstrip for both sides. Before the weatherstripping goes on, all you can see is about a 1/16" line on the two top corners where the material was removed. This will be covered once I get the weatherstrip on.

IMO, you can use your posts as is and just get the appropriate weatherstrip, or you could do to both posts what I did to my right post so you essentially have 60 posts on your car.

Terry
WOW, I guess I need to look at both of my posts to make sure they are the same

Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:07 PM
reedkona
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the easist way to tell if your windshield is new or older version?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:20 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reedkona
What is the easist way to tell if your windshield is new or older version?
I found this document at the CC blog that helps:

====================

"There are two variations of windshield frame posts. The 1956-58 version has a square notch relief for the door post with the upper window stop. The 1959-62 version has an angled notch to allow for the later style door weatherstrip, which features a built-in stop and continues over the door post."

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...529.1429462198

Get notified of new replies

To 60 Windshield Frame with 56 Door Posts

Quick Reply: 60 Windshield Frame with 56 Door Posts