C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette C1 pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM
serginho
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette C1 pain

Hi again

Where can i find information of which colour is under the body, engine compartment, etc from the car?
The original colour is blue, but in the engine compartment for example i find black, so i would like to know how they were originally painted.

Thanks

Sérgio
Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM
rengawdor
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sergio,
The NCRS Judging Manual has that information.
Rod
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

You seem to be struggling with this. There's 2 answers to your question.

1. The simple answer is that it's your car, and you should paint it anyway you want. You can just paint the body in a gloss color and the engine compartment matte black. The underside of the car is unpainted natural fiberglass. If you can get the car painted cheap; you're in a hurry to drive it; and, you don't intend to have it judged, then just paint it and forget about how correct it may be.

2. The hard answer is that this information will take a fair amount of research and the answers are mostly contained in the NCRS Judging Manual.

I agree with #2. In the United States, if you take most of the trim off the car; and it doesn't need much body work; and, after begging, you get one of the good shops to agree to do your car; and you wait a long time; and you get lucky and they really don't screw it up, it'll cost about $10,000 USD for a good base coat/clear coat paint job. And then forever after the paint is what people will see when they look at the car. For all that money, time, and effort, I want it right. Not 99.9% right. But dead-nuts right-on 100% right. I want all the fussy little stupid anomalies that the factory did. I want the paint demarcation lines on the underside of the hood right. I want some of the clips in the engine compartment to have paint under them and I want some to be unpainted underneath. (Some were installed when the car was painted. Some were not.) I want evidence of overspray (just a little) in the right places. I want some (just a little) of the glue for the weatherstrip to show. I want to see where the plates in the trunk were not completely installed and painted and left a ghost image on the trunk floor. I want runs in the frame paint, and I want them to run up. There's lots of little things like this that only certain people care about. If you choose to care about these things, then you're going to have to research them.

Consider joining your local Corvette car club and local NCRS chapter. These guys will help you out. Consider slowing your project down. This is a hobby. You don't need this car to drive to work do you? Part of the hobby is the research, meeting people, buying parts, fixing subassemblies, going to shows, etc.. Some people spend years restoring their car. But it's your car. You decide how you wish to enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C1 pain

Quick Reply: Corvette C1 pain