C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SWC find thanks to fellow CF member

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice build!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

The C7 chassis arrived yesterday, I had to post the obligatory wooden wheels photo, I am quite excited to begin to bolt things and and begin the fitting process:
Mike at SRIII sure does an excellent job, not to mention, he is also nice to work with.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

What a blast to be following this incredible build!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow! Very cool, Brian!
Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Beggers
Pro

My bell-housing finally arrived which had slowed me down, installed the engine and trans in the chassis. I had to first take off the lower tail fin off the Tremec to allow it to sit down on the cross-member. Some of these transmissions come with this some don't:

All set now:

Sat the body down a number of times adjusting and setting it up before it sat just right:

Took the wheels off my C7 (background picture) to see if they would fit, 20s (12" wide) in the rear and 19s (9"wide) in the front and they fit just fine under the stock outside body, what do you think, is this too pimped out or do these larger wheels look good? I personally like them but no final decisions yet:

Installed the VA front runner system as well, function and form:

also installed my ABS power brake pump which sits inside the lower driver fender out of sight.

The car is starting to come together now, lots more in front of me though, Brian

Old 09-27-2015, 07:06 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Well done tires look good do a tight turn on front check stops if you have them .
Nice cant Wait to see the paint.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:55 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Love it !!!
Looking forward to seeing this SWC come to life.

Dan
Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I'm in the big rim camp on a car like this.

First time I've seen ABS installed on a resto. I'd like to know what's involved in setting that up.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Beggers
Pro

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I'm in the big rim camp on a car like this.

First time I've seen ABS installed on a resto. I'd like to know what's involved in setting that up.
Zoomin, I probably should have described this better, ABS is the product name for an electric high power master cylinder that does not use a large ugly diaphragm, nor does it use any engine vacuum or hydro-boost. Its a very attractive and dependable way to have power brakes without the extra lines and hardware that clutters the engine compartment. A number of guys have recently used them here on CF, it came out of the hot rod world, here is an article from Hot Rod magazine with some more detail. Thanks for the comments, Brian
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis...-brake-system/
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Probie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great progress. Love the direction you're taking and the big wheels on these coupes look just right IMHO.

Curious .... what size tires are you running on those 12" and 9" wheels?

Reason for asking .... I spoke with Mike @ SRIII a while back and he advised that a 12" wheel and tire wouldn't fit without using GTS or other wider quarters when using the 9 inch centre section. Maybe that was the old C6 size with a 345/30/19 tire and the new C7 chassis/suspension/wheel combo is different?

[QUOTE=Beggers;1590581720]
Took the wheels off my C7 (background picture) to see if they would fit, 20s (12" wide) in the rear and 19s (9"wide) in the front and they fit just fine under the stock outside body, what do you think, is this too pimped out or do these larger wheels look good? I personally like them but no final decisions yet:
Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I hope you checked the alignment of the bell housing. My last reproduction of the 11" housing was so off that I could not even align it with offset dowels. I had to send it back for a refund and find an original unit.
The c7 Control arms look pretty much identical to the C5/C6, which are really the only parts we are using off of the modern Corvettes.
One last note...glad you are happy with the chassis! Mike really is a great guy to work with!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Beggers
Pro

[QUOTE=Probie;1590588403]Great progress. Love the direction you're taking and the big wheels on these coupes look just right IMHO.

Reason for asking .... I spoke with Mike @ SRIII a while back and he advised that a 12" wheel and tire wouldn't fit without using GTS or other wider quarters when using the 9 inch centre section. Maybe that was the old C6 size with a 345/30/19 tire and the new C7 chassis/suspension/wheel combo is different?

Originally Posted by Beggers
Probie, the tires are actually 245/35/19 in the front on 19 by 8.5 wheels with 285/30/20s in the rear with 20 by 10 wheels. There is still room for another 1.5" wider in the rear inbound. The fronts are at their limit without rubbing. Brian
Old 09-29-2015, 07:29 AM
Beggers
Pro

Originally Posted by 65silververt
I hope you checked the alignment of the bell housing. My last reproduction of the 11" housing was so off that I could not even align it with offset dowels. I had to send it back for a refund and find an original unit.
The c7 Control arms look pretty much identical to the C5/C6, which are really the only parts we are using off of the modern Corvettes.
One last note...glad you are happy with the chassis! Mike really is a great guy to work with!
Thanks Chris, yes I saw that on your thread, I used an American made bell housing that alined well as a result, thanks for looking out for me. The control arms are hollow on the C7, very lightweight, they also seem to have more rake than the C5/6 units that provide plenty of wheel clearance. although I havent measured them. Brian
Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM
SWC Tim
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Although I love correct NCRS types, i can under stand why Brian is restomoding this car considering its condition. HOWEVER, the good news is the seats, see pics in OP, became donors. I have a nearly correct 63 SWC (top flight @ KC Nationals) that were redone in leather, not correct. These original seats (stored in a house when the car was parked) are now in my NCRS SWC. Brian, I had a vinyl restoration service repair the small tear and remove the blemishes, unnoticeable
Thanks and good luck,
SWC Tim
The following users liked this post:
Beggers (10-01-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:20 PM
Probie
Intermediate

Thanks Brian. Look forward to seeing the final wheels you decide upon.

[QUOTE=Beggers;1590591440]
Originally Posted by Probie
Great progress. Love the direction you're taking and the big wheels on these coupes look just right IMHO.

Probie, the tires are actually 245/35/19 in the front on 19 by 8.5 wheels with 285/30/20s in the rear with 20 by 10 wheels. There is still room for another 1.5" wider in the rear inbound. The fronts are at their limit without rubbing. Brian
Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Beggers
Pro

Quite a bit of progress since my last post, I have been pre fitting and mounting all the components prior to primer and painting, I set the ECM and GM fuse box inside and behind the driver side wheel well, routing all the wires, setting clamps and brackets to hide the wiring:

I also installed the Painless fuse box on the bracing backing plate panel I made for the hydraulic clutch, pre-routed the wiring to hide and organize. Mounted the Power steering cooler,clutch, brake, and throttle pedals as well.

Mounted the Vintage Air unit, routed the hoses out of the way and out of sight. Very easy to do when its torn down to its bones:

Installed the ABS master cylinder and the Wilwood Hydraulic clutch cylinder:

Got the big C7 Brembos installed and ready for bleeding:

Meanwhile Dynamic has been doing a fine job on preparing the glass, here the inner fender-wells have been lowered to match the new chassis and the custom firewall looks great:

A couple of removable inner fenderwell extenders have been ruffed in to keep the engine compartment clean and simple, I am happy with the progress. Most of the prefitting is now complete, just lots more blocking and sanding prior to primer. Brian:

Not sure why many of my photos are turning sideways, I apologize.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:52 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

WoW, what an incredible build. Would love to see this go down the road (or even better get to ride shotgun) and watch all the heads turn. Keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To SWC find thanks to fellow CF member

Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I love this build. Keep the photos coming!!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
"Too excited to sleep I went out in the shop before work this morning and started to remove some paint, not really in the order of things but I wanted to see under the paint."

That will fade after about the 20th hour of stripping the paint.
enjoy the ride. it is not to often that we find the body has not been all hacked up.not saying that replacing body panels is a bad thing but nice to see some original glass, this car is going to cost u a bundle to restore but seeing how it is a one year coupe it should work out. good luck
Old 10-25-2015, 11:00 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Brian, I have a question about the removal of the cross brace on the hood . Was it done for clearance or looks ? Also thanks for the pictures of engine compartment . Now I see that corvette accessory mounts , water pump , and balancer are the only game in town .

Quick Reply: SWC find thanks to fellow CF member