C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

First Serious Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM
L72copo
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 63 Posts
Default First Serious Corvette

I grew up in the 60’s and had my share of hot rods and then Viet Nam, marriage and family put the whole car thing on hold. In the early 80’s kids were about gone, job was going great and had some extra time and money.

Got into restoring muscle cars and still continue today. I have been fortunate to own some very desirable cars to include a Z-16 Chevelle, a couple 69 Z-28’s, a 67 Z-28, 4- LS-6 Chevelles, a Yenko Camaro and a Yenko Chevelle a 67 Z-28 Camaro, a Hurst/Olds and 4 GTO’s. And many many lesser cars. All of the above were purchased from true basket cases to a few that were unrestored original cars. I performed all the restoration work, excluding body and paint, myself.

Through out the years all of the above have been sold except one 66 GTO. Having sold all the cars and the majority of a 30 year parts collection with the intent of never working on another car I got bored and wanted a new project.

Never wanted or desired a Corvette until a few years ago when I stumbled on one a few blocks from where I lived. It was a 67, 350HP convertible that needed everything including a new from end. I learned real quick that I would never have a quality car without a substancial monetary investment and lots of unrecoverable labor hours. Decided to sell it and search for a better C2 example.

I’ve been the Concours judged car show, trailer queen, magazine feature car route and I think I’m done with that. Even sold my enclosed trailer. Now I want something that is correct and original in appearance but I intend to drive and enjoy it.

After a year long search here’s what I bought.

65 Convertible Ermine white w/black-white leather interior
Both Tops - tan convertible top
L-76 365 HP
A/C
Power windows
Power Brakes
Power steering (Added by PO)
All tinted glass
Teak
Tele
Posi 3:70
Knock offs not original
Muncie
C & C group
AM/FM

NCRS Documentation with build date of 1-12-65, Trim Tag date F11, delivered to Fletcher Jones Chevrolet, Los Angeles, CA
Black plate California tags still on car.

Odometer shows 44,096 which I believe is original. Over all condition is very good, no signs of rust anywhere, body is very nice with excellent lines and gaps. At least one repaint. Chrome and stainless all very good. Chassis/Frame looks to be untouched and rust free.
VIN stamped on frame above drivers rear tire, very readable. All other major components are number matching with dates aligned correctly.
Based on 30 plus years of experience documenting and verifying other GM muscle cars, I believe it is all matching numbers, (born with).

The Corvette Trim Tag style is new to me. But after reading the NCRS trim tag book I believe it is also original. I have attached some photos that anyone can examine and comment on. Also photos of engine pad.

When purchased, the PO had started disassembling the car for new paint and underhood detail. The paint is not perfect but is very good.
The entire interior has been replaced with Al Knoch stuff. He had to assemble the car for shipping so most everything is just bolted on without gaskets alignment etc.

So the question is, put it back together and drive it for a year or so. Do a body on restoration now, or go with a full blown frame off. I have no desire to compete in any judged events or NCRS standards. However I do want a super nice driveable car.

After having the car a month I have spent right at $1,000 on parts and really can’t see spending much more than an couple thousand. It just doesn’t need that much. Naturally body and paint will be the big nut. Probably not as much as some of my metal car restorations.

I have been on this forum for the last six months and am truly appreciative of the knowledge and insight of the members. Any comments. pro or con are welcome and I have a very thick skin. Also any thoughts as to, as is, value and future value after restoration are also welcome.

Thanks,
Don Stowers

Last edited by L72copo; 05-21-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,040 Likes on 675 Posts

Welcome Don - Nice find to uncover a 65 365 Horse A/C Vette. Can't remember the total production numbers but it's around 200-207 or something like that.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

My suggestion would be to make it drivable and enjoy it. While you're enjoying it you can decide if you want to do a full blown restoration. Just keep in mind that process always cost more and takes longer that you think. The car looks great in the pictures. It has nice colors and great options.
As far as value goes if it's the type of Corvette you dreamed of finding then it's priceless.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Terrific find!!! LOVE the color combo. My suggestion would be to screw it back together and drive it for awhile before you tear into her. You may find that you'll enjoy (drive) it much more that way. Either way, welcome to the madness
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Welcome Don - Nice find to uncover a 65 365 Horse A/C Vette. Can't remember the total production numbers but it's around 200-207 or something like that.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Hi Don,
They made 138 convertible 365hp with air conditioning. I know two people that may have owned that car over the years. If you PM me I will share. It is probably one of one with the color and driveline. DRIVE AND ENJOY. Let the family store it and show it after you are gone.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Welcome to the Forum

Hello there Don. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning such a nice Corvette. You have a winner there for sure, beautiful car and I can't wait to see it. I strongly suggest you not worry about restoring this car. It is plenty nice enough as is. Reassemble it and then enjoy it. You can easily fall into the old trap of making it too nice and then you're afraid to drive it. Enjoy it just as it is right now. Drive it, drive it, drive it , drive it!!!

Is that GTO in the background the same one Verne and I helped you carry the frame into your shop a few years back when you did a frame off on it? That was a nice car too.

I've sent you a PM.

Thomas
Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Cool A Yeti!

Love the White/White... If it were me, I'd get a white Vert top...

Anyway.
That is a very high optioned neat car you have. I can see your dilemma... it almost begs to be a top flight type car. But that would strain the bank account.

You wanted a driver, so my advice is do the things you have to do and drive it. As the things that "need fixing" come up (which you know they do!) do it "properly" with correct parts and technique.

Revisit the question again this time next year. If you want to go all in... then do so. If having the driver satisfies you... keep on keeping on.

Corvettes aint your bag? Cash out.

Value. As she sits and if as described (assuming frame/birdcage are sound - and Matching numbers). Mid - upper $60s would be my guess.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
L72copo
Racer

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Hi Don,
They made 138 convertible 365hp with air conditioning. I know two people that may have owned that car over the years. If you PM me I will share. It is probably one of one with the color and driveline. DRIVE AND ENJOY. Let the family store it and show it after you are gone.
PM sent
Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,473 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

That car is very nice as it is. Invest time into making sure everything is safe, functional and reliable, then drive it. I would not take it to the next level as I believe it will only decrease your driving pleasure. Show the rest of the world what a great time piece you have by driving it. Dennis
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Don, and welcome. I never expected to see you in a Vette, but you sure picked a good one. I have a soft spot for those rare solid lifter versions with A/C.
Try to make the upcoming picnic at Tom's. You'll have a great time.

Verne
Old 05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Welcome Don, and thank you for your service. You have great taste in cars.....GTO's are pretty classy. I've had my '65 and '67 goats for over 30 years. Just got a much rougher than yours '61 a month ago, and am simply doing a mechanical go-through. I'm leaving the tired paint, but have cleaned it all up. I used to like frame-off cars the best. Now, they interest me the least. All of the cars history has been erased, patina removed, and it's a blank slate again. Cars that have a human history and show the honest wear and tear of a life well lived (not hidden away in a trailer under a cover) are the cars that appeal to most of us. If I were you, I'd square it away mechanically and drive it. I would not even consider a frame off restoration on that car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

67 Convertible Ermine white w/black-white leather interior........

I think you mean 65 Convertible. It is a great car, with history to the 70's as I remember. You have PM mail to help with the history.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 838 Likes on 457 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Don:

I sent you a PM.

Charles
Old 05-21-2015, 12:56 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
That car is very nice as it is. Invest time into making sure everything is safe, functional and reliable, then drive it. I would not take it to the next level as I believe it will only decrease your driving pleasure. Show the rest of the world what a great time piece you have by driving it. Dennis

Drive your wonderful new Vette and love it. Avoid turning it into a static display of how nice an old car can look after cash is poured over it.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:20 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 413 Posts

Looks like you're going to have a great car! Get everything running well and have fun on the road!! Don't make it too perfect or else you won't drive it enough!! :-)
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Is this really St Louis convertible body #21? In a February 1965 car?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
L72copo
Racer

Originally Posted by jimgessner

67 Convertible Ermine white w/black-white leather interior........

I think you mean 65 Convertible. It is a great car, with history to the 70's as I remember. You have PM mail to help with the history.
Your right, should be 65.

Thanks for the heads up.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To First Serious Corvette

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 PM
L72copo
Racer

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Is this really St Louis convertible body #21? In a February 1965 car?
Considerable later. At this point I'm trying to protect the pertinent numbers, so painted out the last two.

Don
Old 05-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet Cub Cadet.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:16 PM
L72copo
Racer

Originally Posted by Lou64
Sweet Cub Cadet.