C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 Overheating & fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Michael 59' corvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 59 Overheating & fuel problem

Hi C1's
I have two problems with My 59 282 single quad First it gets very hot when in traffic but as soon as I drive it cool down. I changed the thermostat same problem. New aluminum radiator same problem. I have a original 4 fan blade. Should I put a auxiliary fan assembly?

Second problem; I could drive my car all day at a normal rate of speed but if I put the petal to the metal it pops , bogs down & wants to stall, when that happens I have to go in the slow lane, slow down for a minute or two than I can continue. Fuel pump, Vapor lock ?

History of motor; Complete rebuilt 2013

Thank you
Michael
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Michael 59' corvette
Hi C1's
I have two problems with My 59 282 single quad First it gets very hot when in traffic but as soon as I drive it cool down. I changed the thermostat same problem. New aluminum radiator same problem. I have a original 4 fan blade. Should I put a auxiliary fan assembly?

Second problem; I could drive my car all day at a normal rate of speed but if I put the petal to the metal it pops , bogs down & wants to stall, when that happens I have to go in the slow lane, slow down for a minute or two than I can continue. Fuel pump, Vapor lock ?

History of motor; Complete rebuilt 2013

Thank you
Michael
First problem could be an inaccurate temp sending unit; verify temps you are seeing with a cheap I/R temp gun (Harbor Freight) has them...shoot the thermostat housing...you might not have an overheating problem at all. If that verifies your problem - might be time to look at your fan clutch and a few other things...

Second problem could be spark plugs, plug wires misfiring under load, ignition coil, sticky advance weights, fuel delivery/fuel filter and a few other things.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
esema
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

Overheating at low speeds or idle could be a timing issue. Start at 10* to 12* advance. If you have a vacuum advance distributor you should be at 20* to 25* at idle with the vacuum can connected. Make sure your advance can is connected to a non-ported source at the carb. You should be "all in" at 36 to 38 degrees at 2500 to 2800 rpm.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a fan shroud? Can you feel air moving into the grill?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Michael 59' corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
Do you have a fan shroud? Can you feel air moving into the grill?

Yes I do have a shroud but a 1959 has no clutch.

thank you
Michael
Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Michael 59' corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
First problem could be an inaccurate temp sending unit; verify temps you are seeing with a cheap I/R temp gun (Harbor Freight) has them...shoot the thermostat housing...you might not have an overheating problem at all. If that verifies your problem - might be time to look at your fan clutch and a few other things...

Second problem could be spark plugs, plug wires misfiring under load, ignition coil, sticky advance weights, fuel delivery/fuel filter and a few other things.

Yes I do have a shroud but a 1959 has no clutch.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Regardless of any other problems, you would be a lot better off running a 60 style 5 blade fan and fan clutch assembly instead of the original 4 blade fan. I do that in my 59 and it really helps. Zero issues cooling even on a hot day idling in traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Overheating & fuel problem

Quick Reply: 59 Overheating & fuel problem