C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 newbie: how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 AM
V8Heart
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2 newbie: how does it work?

Hi all,
after almost 2 months of shipping I finally received my 67 corvette coupe!
It is my first mid year after several C3 and even though I own a 68 that share the same chromosomes, several things are new to me.
I know that this car will need work, but my intention is to start a slow process of restoration to enjoy the car in the meanwhile.

For those who wander the net in search of new cars, you may already know this one: it was the DARE program 67 for sale few months ago.
Said so, I'd like your expert eyes and help to figure out how to bring some of the parts back to original or at least correct condition. I will put pictures as soon as I can.

In the meanwhile, how are the headlights supposed to pop up? Just pulling the light **** or pressing the switch that says headlights? Tried both but they didn't work...

Last edited by V8Heart; 05-03-2015 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:31 AM
movinup
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Headlight switch

Below the headlight switch is another switch you pull towards the driver with your finger and the buckets should open. It also should be marked Headlights.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

The headlights don't pop up. They roll over slowly. You hold the headlights switch (under the dash, spring loaded, pull for roll over, push for roll down) until the headlights roll completely over. If stock, takes about 5 seconds of holding. Also if stock, there's a blinking red light on the dash that flashes "lights" until both buckets are completely rolled over (if you have the headlight switch pulled on). The light doesn't flash if you don't have the headlights on. It works this way with or without the ignition switch on.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:08 AM
V8Heart
Instructor

Will try...
What if they don't work? Is there a way to test the headlights motors and switch?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 AM
V8Heart
Instructor

Just to have a better idea of the car, here is the link to the sale ad
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

If neither bucket moves at all when you pull the switch under the dash toward you, you probably have either a dirty switch (from non use) or a bad circuit breaker (mounted on the left kick panel). You can easily determine where the issue is if electrical. Measure for 12v going into the switch, then coming out on one of the other wires (there are only three) when you push, and on the other when you pull. If you don't have the 12v on any of the wires, check the voltage on both sides of the circuit breaker, If you do have the 12v there, check for it coming out of the firewall connectors below the master cylinder. If you have a mechanical problem, you'll have to get help from someone else, I don't disassemble the motors or gears unless it's an emergency and I haven't had one of those. If they try to move and growl or grind or vibrate, you have a mechanical issue. Check the voltage first. The rollover switch is a common place to lose the voltage if they haven't been used much. If you use Google and search C2 headlight rollover switch repair" you should find several sources for taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts. It's nearly impossible to find a good replacement switch, so be very careful disassembling and don't brake the plastic. It's a very simple switch and easy to remove (two screws), but make sure it's bad by measuring the voltage in and out. If it's there on the center wire, but not on the other two when you activate the switch, it's definitely the problem. Here's a 65 diagram, but the 67 headlight switch system is the same.
Name:  65 Wiring one page.jpg.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  667.9 KB
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

The motors can be bench tested, I would check the wiring first. Although removal isn't fun, installation is difficult with the hood on, or I should say uncomfortable in the position you have to be in.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Another quick way to see if the voltage is there and the switch working is to watch your battery gauge (ammeter) on the dash. When you push or pull the rollover switch, the gauge will deflect to the left if you have the voltage and the switch is working. Keep in mind that the voltage must pass through one of the two connectors on the firewall just below the master cylinder. Save the diagram I posted and then open it up and zoom in on the bottom where the headlamp switch is located and you can see the colors of the wires in question.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,991 Likes on 4,809 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would first check to see if you can roll them over by hand to make sure everything is free and not seized up. and sometimes that's all needs to be done. if you open the hood the feel around the center of the noise you should feel two "star" wheels. start rotating them. its going to take a while. also buy a owners manual, and a assembly manual
Old 05-03-2015, 09:17 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a nice car, well done
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM
V8Heart
Instructor

I tried to charge the batt and now seems they are working, slow and uneven but working.
Will appreciate a guide on how "fine tune" them.

I already bought an assembly manual just in case.

Another question is about the interiors. The previous owner started a complete restoration and did a really good job. At the moment the only two things I'd like to work on is the different color of the needles in the instrument and the different shades of blue in my dash. I've already seen other cars with the same "issue", but are those differences of color something coming with the age? Is there something I can do to make everything of the same color?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The dash pads appare to the correct color along with the rest of the dash. The speaker grile and radio side panels are way to bright.

What's wrong with the neddle colors
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
V8Heart
Instructor

Btw my interiors are bright blue/white
Old 05-03-2015, 06:42 PM
V8Heart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What's wrong with the needle colors
The speedometer and clock -restored- are of a bright orange compared to the faded one on the others.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by V8Heart
The speedometer and clock -restored- are of a bright orange compared to the faded one on the others.
That's going to be a lot of work to get to them. If you have hobby stores over there with plastic model cars the paint for them will work very well to correct that. But if you have it that fair I would send it out to be restored
Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The headlight motors are a cinch to rebuild (I have a good article on the procedure).
Usually the main drive gear is galled (repros are available) and the grease has congealed into yellowish-white clay.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It's nearly impossible to find a good replacement switch, ...
Of course exercising care to not break the original switch is the right thing to do, but Zip and and Long Island Corvette show a replacement headlight rollover switch for $99 or so. I don't think Paragon lists it. Does the repro switch have a bad track record or substandard appearance?

Just curious.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To C2 newbie: how does it work?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:19 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 677 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by SI67
Of course exercising care to not break the original switch is the right thing to do, but Zip and and Long Island Corvette show a replacement headlight rollover switch for $99 or so. I don't think Paragon lists it. Does the repro switch have a bad track record or substandard appearance?

Just curious.

Steve
I recently purchased the replacement switch from Zip for our '66 and it's pretty decent looking...Not quite the quality of the original, but a pretty good replacement...and it works!

Be sure to keep any original takeoff parts for future restoration since they're usually better quality than replacements and can usually be rebuilt...
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 AM
V8Heart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The dash pads appare to the correct color along with the rest of the dash. The speaker grile and radio side panels are way to bright.
Anything I can do about it? Respray grille and side panels?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes, Corvette America and others sell the paint.

Quick Reply: C2 newbie: how does it work?