C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any Experience with Ecklers front disc for C-1s

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Any Experience with Ecklers front disc for C-1s

Does anyone have any experience with Ecklers front disc brake conversion/upgrade kit for the C-1 cars, including the dual master cylinder and proportioning valve (in my case a 62). I'm wondering about the spindle adapters (to allow for a roller bearing), and how much if any change to the wheel track with regard to the different hub (setting the tire inside or outside from stock tire track) Also any knowledge of issues of "run out" on the disc

Thanks Wade
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 798 Likes on 545 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If their kits use the chevelle rotors it sets the wheel out 1/4 " . Willwood sells a kit (Alum hubs) I am pretty sure keeps stock track. I'm sure you want to keep rotating weight to a minimum if you are racing.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Ecklers front disc brake conversion/upgrade kit for the C-1 cars looks like Master Powers kit, if so, it pushes out the wheels 1 ". If it is the Master power kit, The MC and proportioning valve work well as I can run laps at 120 without brake fade. jim
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

I changed to front discs in 2005, and the kit I purchased was from JMT. At the time, he was suppose to be the supplier to Ecklers. I found that the kit pushed the fronts out about 5/8" per side. Not a problem in my case, but...........and I have been pleased with the braking performance since then.

Below is what I wrote back then:

The disc brake kit is from JMT Engineering in Holiday, Florida. Suppose to be the suppier to Ecklers. I will not post a recommendation for this kit for the reasons I noted previously, and for a few additional items not mentioned. When I talked to them on the phone, I asked for US made bearings (a previous writeup stated they supplied US bearing on request, but normally supplied Chinese bearings). They agreed to replacing the bearings with the US versions. However, when I arrived, they stated they could not get them, and offered $20 dollars off the kit price (and then for me to find my own bearings). Now I knew that bearings cost more than $20, so I just took the Chinese bearings (and will use them, and hope for the best). But I did not appreciate the tactics they used. One last item, the kit included six 7/16" fine thread bolts (you reuse one bolt on each side), but the lock nuts supplied were 3/8" fine thread! Luckily, I had the right nuts in stock. Another strike against this guy! Also, I had asked the owner how much of an offset change this kit kicked out the wheels. He stated 1/4" per side. The actual amount is closer to 5/8" (.600"). I can see where this could be reduced, if the kit was re-engineered, but at this point I "hope" the wheels/tires still clear (TBD), since I have aftermarket wheels (AR TTD's), and larger than stock tires.

Plasticman
Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed that Ecklers had the kit including master Cylinder and proportioning valve for $650. Zip Corvettes had a disc conversion kit with Master Cylinder and proportioning valve for $1,060. and Corvette Central has the kit for $1,100. Wondering what is different with Ecklers, are they using different (cheaper) calipers or rotors...or what?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey
I noticed that Ecklers had the kit including master Cylinder and proportioning valve for $650. Zip Corvettes had a disc conversion kit with Master Cylinder and proportioning valve for $1,060. and Corvette Central has the kit for $1,100. Wondering what is different with Ecklers, are they using different (cheaper) calipers or rotors...or what?
Look at ECI (under 49-54 Chevy):

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

You use either your existing master cylinder, or buy it elsewhere. Several of us use the existing m/c (with residual pressure valve removed) and no proportioning valve.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 03-27-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Look at ECI (under 49-54 Chevy):

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

You use either your existing master cylinder, or buy it elsewhere. Several of us use the existing m/c (with residual pressure valve removed) and no proportioning valve.

Plasticman
My '61 is set up this way..
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have run various disc brake combinations for almost 40 years on my 62, and until i got the dual m/c itch, i only used the original m/c and no proportioning valve.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Any Experience with Ecklers front disc for C-1s

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Ecklers front disc for C-1s