C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

PATINA CORVETTES (old paint)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:18 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by R. Seghi
My gas filler lid insert flew off when the car was being brought down to me from Napa Valley. I can't buy a ...DARE I SAY, A NEW ONE. Anybody got a Patina'd C2 gas cover for sale? I don't care what year. Just as long as it's OLD, AGED, SEASONED, EXPERIENCED, WEATHERED, or just plain GRUBBY !!!

Call David Sokolowski, the PARTS GURU. His warehouse is in Los Angeles (310) 329-5334 shop. If David does not have it, you will be looking a long time. What year is your car?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM
CruzerDog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
I see the hardtop decklid stud holes. Is the hardtop missing? Could you share the fisrt two digits of the vin? Being a positraction car, I am curious about the production date. We know the race cars in February had positraction, but always looking for confirming evidence from ''original'' cars
# S103780 BUILT FRIDAY 5/3/57

yes it has a hardtop ...
Old 05-29-2015, 01:25 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

call david sokolowski, the parts guru. His warehouse is in los angeles (310) 329-5334 shop. If david does not have it, you will be looking a long time. What year is your car?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Larry21556
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Original paint. Looks good as long as you are 10 feet away
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default Third time this has been recommended to him

Call David Sokolowski, the PARTS GURU. His warehouse is in Los Angeles (310) 329-5334 shop. If David does not have it, you will be looking a long time. What year is your car?
maybe he will get it this time and a visit with the right demeanor was also recommended!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-30-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Now that's what I'm talking about Larry.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:37 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

My newly acquired 78, before I yanked it out of a barn - original paint
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2015, 02:14 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but is there a market for mid to late '70's Corvettes? Because out in Ca. these are considered Smog Dogs.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but is there a market for mid to late '70's Corvettes? Because out in Ca. these are considered Smog Dogs.
Who cares? In Maryland they are now "historic", and therefore emissions and inspection exempt - so you don't have to build them the way Chevy had to

Last edited by FastEddy; 06-21-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 579 Posts

Great pics here guys!
Thanks for sharing.
Funny part about prefering your car to show off its age a bit is that some folks just dont get it.
How often have you been asked at a cruise in or show "when ya gonna paint it?" and then the funny look when you say never
Guys with scars look tougher and so do cars.
Here are a couple "age" certification pics from my 66.

Also check out parts sheet time capsule that has "lived" in my car for 49 years, held only by masking tape.
I would like to see who can say where it was found (and still resides) and what part(s) it refers to. I have stumped NCRS "experts" with this one.
Attached Images     
Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 633 Likes on 421 Posts

"smog dog" ouch!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Who cares? In Maryland they are now "historic", and therefore emissions and inspection exempt - so you don't have to build them the way Chevy had to
UNFORTUNATELY, California still requires a smog inspection every two years for 1977 and newer registered cars. My wife's 1977 Corvette she bought new is still being tested.

And that test cost about $60 at only a certified SMOG TEST station is a complete inspection of all the emmission parts, smog A.I.R. pump....diverter valves.....EGR system.......cat converter......and VAPOR RECOVERY gas tank system which includes the gas cap, and vapor canister and filter mounted in the lower left inside fender and all related rubber vapor lines that take fuel vapor from the gas tank and filter them before sending the vapor back to the base of the carburetor The carb air cleaner system also must work properly to have pre heated air injected into the base to aid warm up and and of course the choke system must perform properly.

Once all sytems are verified by the inspector and are hooked up and working properly, then the car is put on the dyno exhaust anlyzer, and the ''sniffer'' hose is installed in the tail pipe and HC , CO and NOX emmissions are read and reported, all electronically by computer. The car is put into gear and run at 50 mph and then 20 mph for one minute tests time each. These results are sent to the state electronically at this time, and you do not know if you PASS or FAIL until the test is over.

IF YOU FAIL THE TEST due to missing or non op parts, or emmission levels are greater than spec, the car must be repaired before a new licence plate tag sticker will be issued. The best protection is to do a ''pre test'' off line by the inspector and verify all systems are good, prior to the real test.

This law is the same as any newer car 5 years old and older.

When you see a 1974-82 Corvette on driving on the street give the owner the ''high'' sign WAVE: thumbs:

He / she has worked much harder than C-1 and C-2 owners to keep the car on the highway emission control wise. 1975 and older Corvettes are EXEMPT from the test.

We 77 -82 owners believe there is a conspiracy in Sacramento. Does anybody care these days....of course not.

Dee and I, in May 1978 on our way to ''BIG SKY MONTANA'' meet in Eastern Oregon desert below Wala Wala, Washington

Last edited by jimgessner; 06-21-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:26 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FastEddy
Well I didn't ask who cares, I was just asking the forum if there is a market. I wasn't sure if 1975 was exempt in Ca. So 1976 and newer needs smog in Ca. So I guess it's just a preference thing at that point, cool.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by phil2302
Great pics here guys!
How often have you been asked at a cruise in or show "when ya gonna paint it?" and then the funny look when you say never
Guys with scars look tougher and so do cars.
Funny, I've experienced the opposite....they tell me, "don't change a thing!"....and I agree.
Now that I think of it, as a kid in the '70s, I was attracted to the "day 2" cars with battle scars and rough paint or primer spots. These seemed to take on a personality all their own. Not much has changed, still love the classics that show they've been run hard.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Heres a little patina...I guess?
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2015, 01:46 PM
penticton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-21-2015, 02:44 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by nutt
Funny, I've experienced the opposite....they tell me, "don't change a thing!"....and I agree.
Now that I think of it, as a kid in the '70s, I was attracted to the "day 2" cars with battle scars and rough paint or primer spots. These seemed to take on a personality all their own. Not much has changed, still love the classics that show they've been run hard.
Sure, most car people "get it" and say dont change it but many non-car people will look at a survivor car esp after looking at a #1 restored version of the same car and assume it is due for a full on restoration. Personally I like to think of them as an extension of ourselves and in my case, some hard miles and scars and no renovations ever.

Get notified of new replies

To PATINA CORVETTES (old paint)

Old 06-22-2015, 01:32 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by penticton

this car is beautiful, can we see more of it?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by nutt
I'm confused. I've always thought "Day 2" referred to, literally, the day after the car was new.

People bought a muscle or performance car.... Day 1 is essentially bone stock from the factory. Day 2 was when you took it home and bolted on a set of Cragars and an intake manifold or a Sun Tach something, but the car was still in perfect condition. Just mildly personalized.

Not seeing where "battle scars, rough paint and primer spots" relates to "Day 2" cars.

Regarding people "getting it..." some people love survivors (I do) but Im not sure if cars that's been damaged over time is the same as being unrestored, or survivors...is it?

People can like what they want, but I'm not sure that someone who prefers evidence that something has been run hard "gets it" and people who don't agree don't get it.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 AM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I'm confused. I've always thought "Day 2" referred to, literally, the day after the car was new.

People bought a muscle or performance car.... Day 1 is essentially bone stock from the factory. Day 2 was when you took it home and bolted on a set of Cragars and an intake manifold or a Sun Tach something, but the car was still in perfect condition. Just mildly personalized.

Not seeing where "battle scars, rough paint and primer spots" relates to "Day 2" cars.

Regarding people "getting it..." some people love survivors (I do) but Im not sure if cars that's been damaged over time is the same as being unrestored, or survivors...is it?

People can like what they want, but I'm not sure that someone who prefers evidence that something has been run hard "gets it" and people who don't agree don't get it.
Focus, you'll get it.

Quick Reply: PATINA CORVETTES (old paint)