C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Greetings from Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greetings from Austin, TX

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this Forum as I have been looking for a "new" weekend driver and am being drawn into considering a Corvette for many reasons.

While growing up, I owned a 67 Mustang, 68 Chevelle SS396 (why did I sell it!?), '70 Super Bee, '71 GTO, etc... I recently sold my SL55 a year ago for a new truck but the "itch" has returned and so I am looking... :-)

Recently, I almost bought a 2006 C6 convertible but held off as I am thinking I want to look for a C2. As I grow older, I always remember that I have liked the looks of a C2 but am curious if I can fit in one (6'1" /225#). I know it may be difficult to find a good one but that is half the fun, right?

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning from all of you!

David
Old 03-13-2015, 08:18 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Hello David,

First you will fit IMHO. Maybe a little tight getting in a coupe between the steering wheel and seat but once you have it down works fine. The seats are limited in their travel so the seat will need to be all the way back. I'm in Dallas so if you want to test drive come on up or let me know if you need a look at one up here.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Thanks, Steve for the note and input on the seating in a C2. Since this will be a "Sunday Driver" I am going to focus on a convertible so at least is will seem a bit more spacious. Thanks for the offer and if I get to Dallas soon (sister lives there) I will ping you.

Thanks again,

David

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Hello David,

First you will fit IMHO. Maybe a little tight getting in a coupe between the steering wheel and seat but once you have it down works fine. The seats are limited in their travel so the seat will need to be all the way back. I'm in Dallas so if you want to test drive come on up or let me know if you need a look at one up here.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Are u thinking coupe or convertible?
$ range?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,040 Likes on 675 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum, David. You shouldn't have a problem fitting into a midyear, whether Coupe or Convertible. When the time comes that you do find a possible midyear purchase, a couple things to suggest...bring someone who is very knowledgeable with midyears with you and take a lot of pics to post here on the Forum so members can look them over and help determine if it's a decent deal or not.
Good Luck,
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'll have to take everyone else's opinions about whether you'll fit in a C2 at face value. I'm only 5' 8", I drive mine with the seat all the way back and there are only a couple of inches space above my knees to the steering wheel.

The only downside to convertibles is that the top tends to pull up from the windshield header at highway speed. I can see daylight though mine at 70 mph. Plan on driving top down only on the SH 130 toll road.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:02 AM
kidvette
Pro

Welcome to the forum. IMO You should fit in a C2 with the only tight spot being the steering wheel at the legs. This can be fixed by setting your steering column in and replacing the steering wheel with a one inch smaller aftermarket wheel. Another option is an after market steering column with a tilt option. Good luck with your search and use the vast amount of knowledge on this forum to your advantage,
Old 03-14-2015, 06:36 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Thanks guys for the Welcome and advice. I look forward to learning a lot about the C2's and the adventure forward... David
Old 03-14-2015, 08:24 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Texas ..... Welcome. You will find a diversity of opinions / myths / facts / and good old prejudice in the C-2 field. Not that I would be one sided but ... four coupes have followed me home, ... and stayed. Sold two prior coupes and never had the urge to own a roadster. The coupes are just classic coke bottle design that will never go out of style as people are drawn to them in a huge way. C-1 convertibles are great also but with a hardtop they too could be called coupes. Still looking but haven't located the perfect C-1 for my garage.
Good luck, study hard, and buy the classic of your dreams.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:19 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have both coupe and a convertible cars. I love both equally, but A/C in a coupe in Central Texas is an absolute must!

If you look at coupes, either make sure it is an AC car, or buy one that it is not going to break your heart to put Vintage air in, otherwise the driving season is going to be very short!

What part of town are you in?

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-15-2015, 12:02 AM
mblake101
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Welcome to the Forum

Hey David -

Welcome to the forum. I am just east of the airport near Bastrop. I'm 6' 245 lbs and have no problem in getting into my 63 Coupe. You'll find that c-2 's are really larger inside than they appear. We can hook sometime if you like and go for a spin. You'll fall in love with c-2's.

Best wishes,
Mike
Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Default Thanks again...

All,

I appreciate your input and advice...many thanks!

John and MBlake... I live in the 2222/360 area. please let me know if either of you would let me drop by some time to just sit in your car for a "sizing" test..

As I am looking around, it seems that the going rate for cars that appear to be in pretty good condition is approximately $45K... is that about right? Anything in the 30's will need a bunch of work and $50K and up is a top flight car?

I am fine with a matching, non matching or even resto mod car since this will be a weekend driver in Austin and the Hill Country. Just want something reliable and solid, I think. I also think AC is a huge benefit in Central Texas!

Last edited by ATXDB; 03-15-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXFUN
All,

I appreciate your input and advice...many thanks!

John and MBlake... I live in the 2222/360 area. please let me know if either of you would let me drop by some time to just sit in your car for a "sizing" test..

As I am looking around, it seems that the going rate for cars that appear to be in pretty good condition is approximately $45K... is that about right? Anything in the 30's will need a bunch of work and $50K and up is a top flight car?

I am fine with a matching, non matching or even resto mod car since this will be a weekend driver in Austin and the Hill Country. Just want something reliable and solid, I think. I also think AC is a huge benefit in Central Texas!
$45k will buy you a nice driver convertible, more car for the money if you stay away from '67. Beware there are a LOT of junk cars for that "magic" pricing range (40-50k) - cars that should be much cheaper based on frame/cage rust, poor fits/cosmetics and disrepair OR because they are a patchwork of tasteless mods done 32 years ago. Be willing to walk away from a few...I see you're no rookie to the old car scene. This forum is a great place to spend time, both in knowledge and community atmosphere.

Ps- just re-read your post. 50k will not get you a recent top flight. Most cars with garden variety options that are fresh Top flights are going to START somewhere in the 60's and head up quickly. They are expensive to get right, simple as that.

Cars in the 30's need work, but I bought my '64 just under $30 with an original engine, some original paint and a super dry frame and birdcage. I drove it 570 odd miles home. A friend paid $40k ish for a 67 about the same time with fresh paint and some cosmetics. Whereas I have done brakes, fuel and water pump, exhaust and other smaller fixes, he has done arguably heavier mechanical work in the time we've owned our cars. The point? At 30k or 45k be prepared to spend some $ maintaining it. The truly expensive part of having a driver IS paint and chrome so if you buy a car with good cosmetics you are generally money ahead.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 03-15-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Default Update....

Hi,

Well I took everyone's advice on focusing on overall condition, needs, paint, etc... and pulled the trigger this weekend on a 1965 Nassau Blue / Black/ Side Pipes / whitewalls.

The car has had a frame off restoration in the fairly recent past that included rebuilt engine, updated suspension, brake line, fuel line, repaint to original stamp, all new wiring harnesses, etc... so I believe I have a good base to work from. I know the steering will need to be tightened up for my taste, along with increasing the HP and improving the suspension but I plan on taking my time to accomplish that in the future.

Thank you all for providing me with your input and advice and I look forward to learning so much from the members on this forum.

David
Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Nice find - and you got the best year.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks really nice. Great color!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Congratulations! You made a nice choice. As you progress in your choice of enhancements consult back with us for tips and tricks...maybe you have in the past. If you want P/S for the car we older owners have great experience on that. Drive it often; you develop your trust in the car with the frequency of use. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Greetings from Austin, TX

Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 AM
ATXDB
Advanced

Thanks, Chris and Bluestripe!

The car has P/S and documentation from 2000 showing Control valve, Slave cylinder, steering pump, hoses etc.. being replaced. According to the previous owner, the car was never driven much since is was in his warehouse with 20+ other Vettes... who knows.

My issue is that the wheel has quite a bit of play in it so I am looking at sometime down the road going to a Steeroids or Borgeson unit to tighten it up and trying to get more road feel. I am also considering getting a slightly smaller wheel when I do since I the PS pump makes turning very easy.

Obviously, I would truly appreciate the experience and advice from all who have improved their steering on their C2's.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I must've missed this thread in March. Well, obviously now that you've bought a really nice convertible, with side pipes, you already know if you fit. I bought my convertible just an hour north of you when I was 16, and I was 6'2" at that age; fit no problem, plenty of head room with the top up. The only issue I had was getting out of the car; it's the same as sitting on the ground on your butt and trying to stand up. But you know that now.

Love the look of side pipes. Nice choice.

Now, head up to the lake and stop by The Oasis with your new ride.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Nice find - and you got the best year.

...and with side pipes Congrats, welcome to the club and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Austin, TX