C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stinger Hood on a 63

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM
G S
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stinger Hood on a 63

What is the easiest way to use a big block hood on a small block car do you move the hood support to the left side or do you rework the hood support mount to the right side of the hood. My brother just bought a 63 with a 65 hood and wants to put a stinger hood on it.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,978 Likes on 4,798 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

buy a BB hood with the mount on both sides. so you can use your SB hood prop location
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
buy a BB hood with the mount on both sides. so you can use your SB hood prop location
GM sold the service replacement hoods with either location as an option. I am just about certain Sermersheims and Corvette image hoods are made this way as well.

Larry
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 PM
G S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Powershift
GM sold the service replacement hoods with either location as an option. I am just about certain Sermersheims and Corvette image hoods are made this way as well.

Larry
We picked up an original 67 hood for a good price and plan to use it. I am sure someone has done the same swap.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Default I am just a hair late

Originally Posted by G S
We picked up an original 67 hood for a good price and plan to use it. I am sure someone has done the same swap.
Being your handle name is GS, I would have for a 1963 recommended the Duntov Motor hoods (they come in three styles) so you don't look like every other Corvette Owner on your block! And here I am recommending their stuff again for at least the 50th time, and have never got any perks! Maybe one day!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by G S
I believe that if you do a search here you'll find a couple of folks have added a reinforcement to the right side of the hood, riveted it in place and then re-glassed the hole so it was almost invisible.

Back in 1969, I purchased a '67 stinger hood for my '63 and added a reinforcement plate on the left side to use my stock prop rod. I didn't glass the hole up, but then I wasn't as concerned about it as I would be today.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,545 Likes on 3,009 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Being your handle name is GS, I would have for a 1963 recommended the Duntov Motor hoods (they come in three styles) so you don't look like every other Corvette Owner on your block!
You are probably thinking of their interpretation of a Grand Sport hood.

If the hood is historically accurate, the rear corners are rounded and would not work on a stock Sting Ray body which takes a hood with pointed corners.

Too, one would have to verify that the length and width and contour of their hood would be compatible with a Sting Ray body (if the rear corners were not an issue). The body contours of the handful of kit cars that have come from that company are significantly different from Corvette body contours.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

In my opinion, FOR A STOCK, PRODUCTION Corvette, the coolest hood during the entire history of the Corvette is the 67 L88 hood! Even cooler than a 69 L88/ZR1 hood.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Our Most Favorite Hood

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
In my opinion, FOR A STOCK, PRODUCTION Corvette, the coolest hood during the entire history of the Corvette is the 67 L88 hood! Even cooler than a 69 L88/ZR1 hood.
Absolutely agree. : I feel blessed to have found this NOS hood from an elderly gentleman 6 years ago . Can't decide weather to Use it or Frame it !

Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Don't worry, I am not one of their salesmen! They just have cool stuff!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
You are probably thinking of their interpretation of a Grand Sport hood.

If the hood is historically accurate, the rear corners are rounded and would not work on a stock Sting Ray body which takes a hood with pointed corners.

Too, one would have to verify that the length and width and contour of their hood would be compatible with a Sting Ray body (if the rear corners were not an issue). The body contours of the handful of kit cars that have come from that company are significantly different from Corvette body contours.
They cover the need to add material to the rounded corners. Some Vintage racers are running these units, but I haven't seen them on any cars outside of the GS kit builds! Yes the 1967, is a great looking hood but when I see one on a 63-66, I instantly think they are trying to be something they aren't. Since GS hoods or GS styled hoods are modeled after cars built 1963 thru 1966, those would be period correct kind of! The C3 L88 style is a different animal for a real aggressive build and I have a few of those, I have one lightwight 1967 427 Stinger hood set up for four hood pins, I have a 1966 Penske look alike that I built off of a 1966 hood that was cut for a tunnel ram and a few others lying around-- with one being a 1967 Chambered L88 Stinger in my collection as just shown above in the previous to last post, but I dont have any like a louvered or vented GS hood!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-10-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I have everything in your pictures, but mine aint NOS!

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Absolutely agree. : I feel blessed to have found this NOS hood from an elderly gentleman 6 years ago . Can't decide weather to Use it or Frame it !

I am jealous! That is rare! But four of the hoods I have are vented like that to the cowl, but none of those are NOS!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-10-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I always thought the 63 hood with cookie sheets was kind of interesting/unique....
Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 AM
blubu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I believe that if you do a search here you'll find a couple of folks have added a reinforcement to the right side of the hood, riveted it in place and then re-glassed the hole so it was almost invisible.

Back in 1969, I purchased a '67 stinger hood for my '63 and added a reinforcement plate on the left side to use my stock prop rod. I didn't glass the hole up, but then I wasn't as concerned about it as I would be today.

Good luck... GUSTO
That is the way mine is we converted the hood to fit the support by glassing the plate in you cant tell works great for the 35 years Ive owned it
Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

They cover the need to add material to the rounded corners. Some Vintage racers are running these units, but I haven't seen them on any cars outside of the GS kit builds! Yes the 1967, is a great looking hood but when I see one on a 63-66, I instantly think they are trying to be something they aren't.
When I see one of those pregnant hoods on an early C2 its just sooo clear they are 'wannabes'. On a real BB of course; they just contribute to the bad-@ss demeanor.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:34 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Well I guess we almost agree, but not quite

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
When I see one of those pregnant hoods on an early C2 its just sooo clear they are 'wannabes'. On a real BB of course; they just contribute to the bad-@ss demeanor.
Because I finally settled on the C3 L88 unit on my C2 with flares, because i have a GM Performance Bowtie high rise air gap single plane manifold with my Brodix turtle inside and carb spacer that i substituted in place of my old NOS shot plate, since I don't really street race anymore! All of that would never fit under a stock small block hood! Sorry, the big block hoods are on my cars as a by product of necessity "clearance!" I had to reposition the L88 air chambers to align to the small blocks and the spacer positions the L88 air cleaners into the vertical position into the open to the cowl vented chambers.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I don't know if they are still available, BUT the inside air box portion of the C2 (67) L88 hood is/was specified and part numbered in the Chevy parts book. You could buy these parts and turn any 67 stinger BB hood into an L88 cold air hood.......and one C&D writer (Pat Bedard) did just that

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-12-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Because I finally settled on the C3 L88 unit on my C2 with flares, because i have a GM Performance Bowtie high rise air gap single plane manifold with my Brodix turtle inside and carb spacer that i substituted in place of my old NOS shot plate, since I don't really street race anymore! All of that would never fit under a stock small block hood! Sorry, the big block hoods are on my cars as a by product of necessity "clearance!" I had to reposition the L88 air chambers to align to the small blocks and the spacer positions the L88 air cleaners into the vertical position into the open to the cowl vented chambers.
understood. And of course if you have sidepipes the BB hood is nearly mandatory!

Get notified of new replies

To Stinger Hood on a 63

Old 02-10-2015, 03:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I haven't heard or seen a part numbered one being sold in a long time!

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I don't know if they are still available, BUT the inside air box portion of the C2 (67) L88 hood is/was specified and part numbered in the Chevy parts book. You could buy these parts and turn any 67 stinger BB hood into an L88 cold air hood.......and one C&D writer did just that
I think the aftermarket helped the demise of the old stock. Most of these hood are a pain to cut thru to the cowl. I made a template from a real one and then did fiberglass work on mine to replicate what I think was the approximate shape of that cowl venting. the worst was one of the c3 L88 styled where I had to cut thru a wall of fiberglass.

I think pulling the air from the cowl is smart, no turbulance like with a front scoop. I opened up the L88 after the flow thru to the radiator so some heat is ascavated out prior to the carb and being the carb is sealed and pulls from the back cowl, I also opened up the firewall for engine heat venting up and out of the windshield vents. since i don't have a heater, the engine air exiting up and out helps keep the windshield defrosted!

My other issue with the 1967 Stinger is that i don't like non-functional shapes and a stock stinger is not opened to the front and then like in the NOS one shown, you have the insert closing it off, so it will vent from the cowl. The look is great, but those 1967 stingers hoods are non functional crap and i own two of them!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-10-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default yes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
understood. And of course if you have sidepipes the BB hood is nearly mandatory!
I generally only like the looks of these big aggressive hoods when accompanied by factory sidepipes/covers or with headers and side exhausts pipes. Those big block hoods generally look out of place on cars with under car exhaust systems!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM
G S
Instructor

I generally only like the looks of these big aggressive hoods when accompanied by factory sidepipes/covers or with headers and side exhausts pipes. Those big block hoods generally look out of place on cars with under car exhaust systems!
As I said in the beginning of this the car does not have a 63 hood and we like a stinger better than what is on the car. If he could find a 63 hood that he could buy for the money he could get this one for he would jump all over it.

Quick Reply: Stinger Hood on a 63