C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leak at Windshield: Corvette Body Shop or Auto Glass Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:05 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Leak at Windshield: Corvette Body Shop or Auto Glass Shop?

I've got at least one leaky windshield corner on my '67 coupe in Sunnyvale, CA. What kind of establishment would be the better choice for solving this: A body shop speciallizing in Corvettes, especially early generations (I'm thinking of ***** O'hara's), or an auto glass shop?

Also, does the metal windshield moulding play any part in watertightness? The geniuses who painted my car many years ago, among their other failings, were somehow unable to reinstall the left upper corner moulding, and (I'm embarrassed to admit ), i've never done anything about it. I do plan to attend to that at the same time as I get the leak fixed.

Steve
Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,991 Likes on 4,809 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It could be a number of things. I would first take it to auto glass shop that knows how to work with a rope sealed windshield
Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Is this even a question - are you really gonna take your classic Corvette to a garden-variety glass shop whose work consists 99.9% of gluing in modern windshields ?

I don't really want somebody 'learning on the job' with an original windshield; hard to replace stainless steel molding; or; possibly irreplaceable clips (like on a '63)..
Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Is this even a question - are you really gonna take your classic Corvette to a garden-variety glass shop whose work consists 99.9% of gluing in modern windshields ?

I don't really want somebody 'learning on the job' with an original windshield; hard to replace stainless steel molding; or; possibly irreplaceable clips (like on a '63)..

Excellent points. Do I sound less silly if I say I was REALLY leaning toward the Corvette body shop?

I do appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Also thanks to NM for the lesson in terminology: rope-sealed

Steve
Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would contact the corvette shop and ask them who they use for windshield work. Some shops have a local glass guy they use. If they have one perhaps you can go straight to him. IMO its worth a try. Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Personally, I don't know of a single classic Corvette body/restoration shop around me that doesn't do their own glass work....sorta comes with the turf....
Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,991 Likes on 4,809 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Corvettes are not the only car to use windshield rope ruber. Like I said find a shop that knows what there doing. Why pay Corvette tax at a shop
Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Frank,

If I knew of a good shop in my area I would simply pull the mouldings (inner and outer) and then take it to the shop. The clips for the windshields other than 63's are readily available. I purchased some for my car a few years ago. Mine still has a minor leak but I don't have any shop in my area that I trust to do the work and get it right.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,471 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

How have you determined that the leak is actually at the corner of your windshield? Which corner is it? If the passenger side, take the glove box out and observe the birdcage frame at the base of the windshield. If it's the driver side, just get your flashlight and prepare too contort yourself too look up and under that section of the dash. Also, it is very possible the weatherstrip pieces where the doors meet the roof pillar are so mashed from age, it lets water leak in right at the kick panel corners by the pinch welt. Leaks on these cars can be difficult too trace. Dennis
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Frank,

If I knew of a good shop in my area I would simply pull the mouldings (inner and outer) and then take it to the shop. The clips for the windshields other than 63's are readily available. I purchased some for my car a few years ago. Mine still has a minor leak but I don't have any shop in my area that I trust to do the work and get it right.
That's the way to go - if you're using a non-Corvette shop - make it easy on them and carry them your own Corvette Rubber molding. If you don't and cheap out then your cost savings will be eaten up by the dinged up stainless and use of crap rubber molding...
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM
mattba
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by SI67
I've got at least one leaky windshield corner on my '67 coupe in Sunnyvale, CA. What kind of establishment would be the better choice for solving this: A body shop speciallizing in Corvettes, especially early generations (I'm thinking of ***** O'hara's), or an auto glass shop?

Also, does the metal windshield moulding play any part in watertightness? The geniuses who painted my car many years ago, among their other failings, were somehow unable to reinstall the left upper corner moulding, and (I'm embarrassed to admit ), i've never done anything about it. I do plan to attend to that at the same time as I get the leak fixed.

Steve
OR - Just leave it alone and stop driving it in the rain!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
How have you determined that the leak is actually at the corner of your windshield? Which corner is it? If the passenger side, take the glove box out and observe the birdcage frame at the base of the windshield. If it's the driver side, just get your flashlight and prepare too contort yourself too look up and under that section of the dash. Also, it is very possible the weatherstrip pieces where the doors meet the roof pillar are so mashed from age, it lets water leak in right at the kick panel corners by the pinch welt. Leaks on these cars can be difficult too trace. Dennis
I'd also remove the cowl vent grills and look for any cracks in those areas as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I'd also remove the cowl vent grills and look for any cracks in those areas as well.
Cracks are hard to spot but dribble a garden hose down in that area and that will tell the tale mucho pronto
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

The biggest challenge these days when working on the windshield are the variations in glass thickness, weatherstrip thickness, and the reproduction clips. I am not even talking about reproduction moldings added to the mix. Back in the day, dealing with a windshield job was no big deal, you got the weatherstrip, and clips from GM and the glass was a standard thickness, and everything fit together like it was supposed to.

Do yourself a favor and confirm where the leak is coming from first before diving in. If it is the windshield, if should be possible to remove the moldings and re seal if your clips are OK, if not the glass will have to come out. Pilot Dan
Old 01-14-2015, 01:49 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"old guys" must die off a lot quicker in big cities. I've lived in big cities also, but I now live in the same small town I was born in, and we have a lot of "old guys" that know how to work on these old cars. there's a speedometer guy here that must be in his mid 80s now, and still has his shop. I remember having him repair a speedo for me when I was in high school. transmission guy (also shortens drive shafts)… same deal (he IS getting a bit senile however ) . the old glass guy still comes to your house or work parking lot to replace windshields. he can rope in the new glass in about 5 minutes and it will NOT leak or have sealant smeared all over the car.
No particular point to this reply….. I'm just counting my blessings.

Russ
Old 01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Glass

When starting my body off on my 66, I called a mobile glass shop and asked them to send me a tech who could remove and install the front and back glass on my coupe. After the car came back from the paint shop, I installed any missing pins for the trim, bought all new rubber from Corvette Rubber. I also bought new trim clips (made in USA) and had the trim polished. The same guy that removed the glass came back, about 18 months later, and installed it all for me. It really helps to have all the parts and finished trim on hand for him. It was really a quick process. It was so easy, that I installed the glass on my 70 SS Chevelle by myself. Jerry
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mattba
OR - Just leave it alone and stop driving it in the rain!!!
Thank you Also a valid point, but:

A) Sometimes one gets unexpected rain or finds oneself out longer than you expect

and

B) Sometimes one washes one's car
(Yes, I can be cautious around the known leaky spots....)

Steve
Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
When starting my body off on my 66, I called a mobile glass shop and asked them to send me a tech who could remove and install the front and back glass on my coupe. After the car came back from the paint shop, I installed any missing pins for the trim, bought all new rubber from Corvette Rubber. I also bought new trim clips (made in USA) and had the trim polished. The same guy that removed the glass came back, about 18 months later, and installed it all for me. It really helps to have all the parts and finished trim on hand for him. It was really a quick process. It was so easy, that I installed the glass on my 70 SS Chevelle by myself. Jerry
Thanks to all you folks for all the great suggestions about how to determine where the leaks actually are and what to do about them. I certainly won't go cheap on a weatherstrip--I've been aware the wisdom here says Corvette Rubber is the way to go.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Leak at Windshield: Corvette Body Shop or Auto Glass Shop?

Quick Reply: Leak at Windshield: Corvette Body Shop or Auto Glass Shop?