C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dielectric grease

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default dielectric grease

I removed the engine compartment connector from the back of the fuse panel and found some corrosion. When I read up about dielectric grease it sounds like this multi connector is just made for dielectric grease. Is there a down side to dielectric grease that I am missing?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Clean the connector thoroughly, then use some air to blow out dust and grime...

Don't use too much of it on the connector...
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by rgbau140
I removed the engine compartment connector from the back of the fuse panel and found some corrosion. When I read up about dielectric grease it sounds like this multi connector is just made for dielectric grease. Is there a down side to dielectric grease that I am missing?
Dielectric grease is an insulator, not a conductor. However, both OEM and others have used it successfully by limiting the amount as Jack66 says, and making sure the metal connectors fit tight together.

Its main purpose is to prevent future corrosion, not improve electrical properties. There are other greases for that. One of these is FCI Electrical/Burndy Penetrox A - 8 oz bottle. Check it out.

Larry
Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I was talking to Lectric Limited a few weeks ago and one of the techs told me to never use it on an electrical connection. He said the stuff was developed to use on the boots covering a spark plug. He said a clean rust free electrical connection is what you want. I had been using it for years on electrical connections.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it gets in the way it can inhibit the connection...as mentioned above, it's an insulator. But just like WD40, it gets used for more than it's intended use. People gob it all over their spark plugs instead of just a thin layer on the porcelain insulator. People pile it on battery terminals, etc. Make your connection then put the stuff over the top to keep moisture out.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I know I have mis-applied it many times over the years - but I've never had a continuity problem develop from it. If it's truly an electrical "insulator" it must be a really poor one. I think more likely it's a moisture insulator.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I know I have mis-applied it many times over the years - but I've never had a continuity problem develop from it. If it's truly an electrical "insulator" it must be a really poor one. I think more likely it's a moisture insulator.
FYI………..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease
Easier than me writing/posting up the explanation.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To dielectric grease

Quick Reply: dielectric grease