C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

advance bushing limiter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Default advance bushing limiter

Do you press the brass bushing on from under the plate (hopefully with small channel locks) and the bushing goes about 1/3 above the plate as it presses in to stop the mechanical arms?

Trying to do this on my stock 67 327/350.

I cannot pull my distributor as it comes up around 1 inch but cant get it out from there. It turns left, raises one inch and then stops. I just changed the oil and tuned it up but my advance is all over the place. I don't want to pour kerosene or any spray down shaft to loosen as I have fresh oil in car and want to drive it this summer (as its almost over)

I am going to try to do the advance bushing on the car, and if I succeed great, if I fail I will still drive the car the rest of the summer with crappy timing which is better than laying car up for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes.

Pull the cap, rotor, springs and weights. Turn the engine over and get the pin in the front hemisphere (for ease of access).

You can start it with your fingers, then press it up with a flat blade screwdriver.

Lay some shop towels in the area, you may drop the bushing and it will go where no man has ever gone before.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

If the bushing is so loose that you can install it from the bottom using pliers or screwdriver without removing the distributor, the bushing will fall off during use. You have to remove the distributor and pull the mainshaft out of it. Then, you need to lay that brass bushing on its side on a hard surface and give it some light whacks with a hammer to smash it down a little. You then install the out-of-round bushing on the mainshaft pin, supported on an anvil or vice, and hammer the bushing onto the pin. If you don't have a tight press fit like this, the bushing will fall off the pin during use, and it will drop down into your points and short you out at the worst moment, killing the engine.

Lars
Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lars
If the bushing is so loose that you can install it from the bottom using pliers or screwdriver without removing the distributor, the bushing will fall off during use. You have to remove the distributor and pull the mainshaft out of it. Then, you need to lay that brass bushing on its side on a hard surface and give it some light whacks with a hammer to smash it down a little. You then install the out-of-round bushing on the mainshaft pin, supported on an anvil or vice, and hammer the bushing onto the pin. If you don't have a tight press fit like this, the bushing will fall off the pin during use, and it will drop down into your points and short you out at the worst moment, killing the engine.

Lars
Lars, I was trying to send this distributor to you last winter but I could not pull the damn thing out. One thing led to another and now its Aug. I will get it out this winter and send to you and deal with lousy timing from now till the winter (and get beat by all those subarus with fart pipes)

As the Master Jedi for Corvette Timing how shall a young jedi in training get the dist out. It turns left and pulls up one inch. I am worried that the oil pump shaft comes up and then falls into pan.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Distributor Varnish

It's probably just a buildup of varnish on the distributor housing keeping it from pulling through the hole in the top of the block. just pull and keep twisting and it will eventually slide up through the hole. I've never seen the oil pump shaft come up with the distributor--That only happens with Fords with their hexagonal 1/4" oil pump driveshaft. When their pumps seize, it twists the thin 1/4" shaft and it gets jammed inside the distributor gear.

RON
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is there an echo in here?.....didn't we just hash out this problem in my thread last week?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Is there an echo in here?.....didn't we just hash out this problem in my thread last week?
87% of your responses dealt with your Avatar As I had the distributor in my hand I needed an answer quickly. A distributor in the hand is better than two in the.....
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Daren67
I cannot pull my distributor as it comes up around 1 inch but cant get it out from there.
Is the manifold/distributer gasket stuck to the manifold and restricting the removal?

Get notified of new replies

To advance bushing limiter

Quick Reply: advance bushing limiter