C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1964 Questions

Good day all, As you may or may not know, I purchased the 1964 Survivor car for my wife from a forum member last year. I have been doing some work to the car,

1, New Dewitts radiator, hoses etc
2. New Evaporator Core, hoses etc. which led to...
3. New Heater Core, Heater box rebuild, new speaker, etc

Now I am getting involved in the Carpet replacement. I am trying to figure out if the carpet was changed before. I was under the assumption that 64 cars had no jute and a foam backed carpet. I pulled the seat last night and found backed jute padding and a carpet without foam. The back appears to be the same also. The only spot that had foam backed carpet was the storage cover. The car is a November 63 car.

Is there any tags I should look for on the carpet?

There are two bolts one on each side of the tunnel one is loose and one is not connected to anything just laying in the hole. I'm guessing it is the two inboard mounts. Are these easy to replace?

EJ
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
WKNR
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My 64 had Jute backing....also the two bolts are for the seat belt anchors
Originally Posted by ejpii
Good day all, As you may or may not know, I purchased the 1964 Survivor car for my wife from a forum member last year. I have been doing some work to the car,

1, New Dewitts radiator, hoses etc
2. New Evaporator Core, hoses etc. which led to...
3. New Heater Core, Heater box rebuild, new speaker, etc

Now I am getting involved in the Carpet replacement. I am trying to figure out if the carpet was changed before. I was under the assumption that 64 cars had no jute and a foam backed carpet. I pulled the seat last night and found backed jute padding and a carpet without foam. The back appears to be the same also. The only spot that had foam backed carpet was the storage cover. The car is a November 63 car.

Is there any tags I should look for on the carpet?

There are two bolts one on each side of the tunnel one is loose and one is not connected to anything just laying in the hole. I'm guessing it is the two inboard mounts. Are these easy to replace?

EJ
Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by WKNR
My 64 had Jute backing....also the two bolts are for the seat belt anchors
Is there a special bracket under the car for seat belt anchors that connect up to where the seat belts mount? The head on the bolt is 5/8" I believe.

EJ
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ejpii
Is there a special bracket under the car for seat belt anchors that connect up to where the seat belts mount? The head on the bolt is 5/8" I believe.

EJ
There is one seat belt bracket riveted underside on each corner of the floor depression where the seats sit. The brackets are bent and fit over the corners underneath the car and are riveted to the fiberglass. Each has a nut welded to it to receive the bolt from the inside that holds the belt.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Original carpet was made by J.P. Steevens. And should have labels as such. Also the ends were double stitched
Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 PM
ejpii
Advanced

I went out and looked at the carpet. The bottom seam has 2 stiches while the top seam is a single. Still no labels. I only checked the few pieces I have out. The bolt that is snapped, appears to be a inboard body mount. I'll have to investigate further when I get the car in the air.

EJ

Last edited by ejpii; 08-08-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Are you having this car "judged" or do you just need new carpet?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 AM
ejpii
Advanced

Originally Posted by Revfan
Are you having this car "judged" or do you just need new carpet?
No, I'm not having the car Judged, but I do like to keep things as original as possible. I already purchased a ACC foam backed carpet kit. I was just surprised the car had jute being a 11/63 car after reading it should have foam backed carpet without jute.

I was going to leave the faded, worn out carpet in there but after the heater core leak decided "While I'm in here I might as well..."

I'm also recovering the seats. I'm going to upgrade those to leather. I should have never asked the wife what she would prefer.

EJ

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 Questions

Quick Reply: 1964 Questions