C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? Looking at a '63 roadster.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? Looking at a '63 roadster.

Is anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? My dad is interested in a '63 roadster there and I was wondering if someone would be willing to take a look at it for us. Let me know. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

From reading your other thread, hopefully it's not priced right or it will be gone in short order. There has to be some folks from Charlotte here that can help you out in checking it out.

Did you put down a refundable deposit with him? Putting down a deposit with a dealer can be somewhat comfortable, but putting a deposit down with a private seller halfway across the country can be nerve racking. Suppose you don't end up buying it and he doesn't refund your deposit?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
From reading your other thread, hopefully it's not priced right or it will be gone in short order. There has to be some folks from Charlotte here that can help you out in checking it out.

Did you put down a refundable deposit with him? Putting down a deposit with a dealer can be somewhat comfortable, but putting a deposit down with a private seller halfway across the country can be nerve racking. Suppose you don't end up buying it and he doesn't refund your deposit?
Proceeding with caution.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can look at it...BUT....I will not drive to where it is. If it is brought to my shop...and IF they allow me to raise it and inspect it...I will help you out on this FREE OF CHARGE.

NOW...with that written...if you are looking for an inspection what would require me to check EVERYTHING out such as matching numbers, head marking on bolts and all of the 'bells and whistles' that are associated with a PURE ORIGINAL Corvette.....I will NOT do that free of charge. And if that is what you are buying...then it is worth your time to either fly out and inspect it yourself....or hire a judge that can look at it for you.

What I will be looking at and for is how 'sound' is the car in relation to the frame and previous body work and how many things have been neglected or modified poorly.

This also depends on what you are expecting.

DUB
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Is anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? My dad is interested in a '63 roadster there and I was wondering if someone would be willing to take a look at it for us. Let me know. Thanks!

jagamajajaran, I would take DUB's kind offer. He is by far "the" Corvette expert in the Carolinas. He will give it to you straight and not candy coat his assessment of the 1963 in question.

Good Luck!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by DUB
I can look at it...BUT....I will not drive to where it is. If it is brought to my shop...and IF they allow me to raise it and inspect it...I will help you out on this FREE OF CHARGE.

NOW...with that written...if you are looking for an inspection what would require me to check EVERYTHING out such as matching numbers, head marking on bolts and all of the 'bells and whistles' that are associated with a PURE ORIGINAL Corvette.....I will NOT do that free of charge. And if that is what you are buying...then it is worth your time to either fly out and inspect it yourself....or hire a judge that can look at it for you.

What I will be looking at and for is how 'sound' is the car in relation to the frame and previous body work and how many things have been neglected or modified poorly.

This also depends on what you are expecting.

DUB
DUB,

Your offer is very generous and gracious! The '63 we are looking into is not a numbers matching pure original Corvette. What we would be interested in knowing would be the overall condition of the car - how wound it is in relation to the frame and body work and what may have been neglected or poorly modified. Please PM me with your contact information. This is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

Originally Posted by 1974CorvetteJimCr
jagamajajaran, I would take DUB's kind offer. He is by far "the" Corvette expert in the Carolinas. He will give it to you straight and not candy coat his assessment of the 1963 in question.

Good Luck!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know what you are looking for....so no need to reply the PM I sent you.

TRUST ME...I am NOT going to 'sugar-coat' my comments to you on what I see. It should not take long to look at....unless what I initially look at passes my expectations. Then I look deeper and further and check more things out....and if 'things' keep passing with flying colors...I keep going. So it will all depend on what condition the Corvette is in...obviously.

DUB
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by DUB
I know what you are looking for....so no need to reply the PM I sent you.

TRUST ME...I am NOT going to 'sugar-coat' my comments to you on what I see. It should not take long to look at....unless what I initially look at passes my expectations. Then I look deeper and further and check more things out....and if 'things' keep passing with flying colors...I keep going. So it will all depend on what condition the Corvette is in...obviously.

DUB
Oops! Read this message after I replied to your PM. Thanks, again, for checking the car out for me!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? Looking at a '63 roadster.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Charlotte, NC, area? Looking at a '63 roadster.