C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM
maggiesadie8525
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sea Foam

Just wondering do any members use Sea Foam in their C2. What are the general thoughts in using this product? I'm thinking on using it every so often. Thank you
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by maggiesadie8525
Just wondering do any members use Sea Foam in their C2. What are the general thoughts in using this product? I'm thinking on using it every so often. Thank you
You will likely get many answers, none much more valuable than the others.

Most of these products work via the placebo effect. That is to say, the expectation of them working as advertised and as fellow car owners claim they have for them is sufficient and usually enough. They likely do not do very much. Some love Marvel Mystery oil, others Sea Foam. Some prefer Techron, others STP. I prefer Techron, in my late model cars, I find it keeps valve deposits under control.

I think ones time, energy and money is better spent finding and using the highest quality, non-alcoholic gasoline available. I think that, together with a well sorted and well tuned engine is a better bet than the potions, perfumes and snake oils sold at the auto parts stores.

Dan
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Sea Foam is a good product. It is not petroleum based but is an enzyme product. The gasoline additive was developed for the marine outboard motor crowd and it does what it says it will. There is also a diesel edition of Sea Foam and I have personally seen it deliver the results it promises, that being introducing a quantity of Sea Foam into a storage tank of nasty old diesel and having the Sea Foam actually change the fuel appearance from a sediment ridden substance into a substance that looks like it was just delivered from a refinery.

As Dan said you will get a variety of answers and opinions. I don't know if Dan regularly removes the cylinder heads from his late model cars to verify the effectiveness of Techron in keeping valve deposits down or how he judges the performance of the Techron. I have used Techron myself in the past in my 78 Corvette and what I observed was that when driving the car on the highway my gas mileage improved while using the product and that the engine ran more smoothly at idle immediately after the road trip. That smoothness at idle went away within 50 miles of non-highway diving. I also noticed that other than highway driving there was nothing I could determine was beneficial while using the product. Doesn't make it a bad thing.

If you don't drive your car regularly and let it sit for months at a time an additive like Sea Foam or Stabil is not a bad thing. If you don't let your car sit for months at a time a good continuous run on the highway, long enough to go through a tank of fuel, is a great time to us a fuel system additive. Just puttering around town does not show you a benefit.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
It is not petroleum based but is an enzyme product.
According to the MSDS, Seafoam ingredients include all of the following:

Pale oil
Naptha
IPA
Carbon Dioxide

I have no idea what "IPA" is..... is that the enzyme?

In any event, the MSDS reads as if this product is nasty stuff. I don't think I'll be using it.

Compleat information here:

Seafoam MSDS

Jim
Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Pale oil
Naptha
IPA
Carbon Dioxide

In any event, the MSDS reads as if this product is nasty stuff. I don't think I'll be using it.

Seafoam MSDS

Jim
Jim:

This is not a new product and has a successful history in both the marine, gas automotive and diesel markets.

I don't say anyone NEEDS to use any additive in their vehicles. I know that I have experience with more than one fuel system additive over the years and am comfortable with this one. I also know that my gasoline fueled generator, which gets a dose of Sea Foam every four gallon tank fill, starts within the first couple of pulls after sitting for four months or more. My neighbors can't say that for theirs.

I only use a fuel system additive in my personal car if I am taking a road trip, and then only once at the beginning of the trip.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

What does it do? How does it work? What is the enzyme... the "IPP" ingredient on the MSDS?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Could it be Iso Propyl Alcohol?
jOE
Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I used it for the first time in a '95 LT1 F body I had let sit with years old gas in a poor state of tune. This, after reading a long thread on this very forum. I did slowly pour part of the bottle in the vacuum line to the PB booster as they said, introducing it to the engine, and it did burn off as they said. I added the rest to the fuel tank. I can't say for sure how much was placebo effect, but the car "seemed" to idle better and got second gear rubber again on 275 tires. I would not hesitate to use it again no more than it costs, but it's not a "rebuild in a can" as anyone could surmise.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What does it do? How does it work? What is the enzyme... the "IPP" ingredient on the MSDS?
Jim:

I am not a chemist and do not know specific information on what each ingredient in the product does individually, combined with another ingredient or as a catalyst or emulsifying agent. I only know from personal use and observation of results from other individuals that have used the product.

I respect your position concerning this or any other product.

As I can not answer your specific question(s) concerning the ingredients my recommendation would be for you to contact a laboratory specializing in such research so that they might provide a satisfactory response. You could also contact the manufacturer but then you will get only their view.

Rich
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
Could it be Iso Propyl Alcohol?
jOE
That's exactly what it is. Rubbing alcohol.

SeaFoam does a great job in it's intended role of unclogging carbs on WWII-era two stroke outboards, but a simple combination of light oil, naptha and rubbing alcohol would be ideal for dissolving fuel varnish.

Not really effective for much else, contrary to some die hard testimonials.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
As Dan said you will get a variety of answers and opinions. I don't know if Dan regularly removes the cylinder heads from his late model cars to verify the effectiveness of Techron in keeping valve deposits down or how he judges the performance of the Techron.

I came upon Techron in this way; in 2005 I bought a 2001 Mercedes E430 (V8) with 11,000 miles that developed a valve train rattle on cold starts. Knowing the quality of MB engines I found this disconcerting and insisted MB do something about it under warrantee. They replaced both cam shafts on this SOHC 3-valve motor saying they thought they showed more wear than they should. I looked at them as well but they appeared fine to me.

The noise returned. I went back and the service writer who was a promoted mechanic handed me a bottle of top end cleaner-the brand escapes me now-it was not a main stream product. He said run a tank full of the stuff through the car and while doing so give it occasional high RPM bursts down the interstate.

Noise gone, as long as I used it. Like you, I noticed the efficacy of the stuff fell off if I used the car at extended low speeds or if I failed to faithfully use the product, which was unavailable at the FLAPS.

Hearing raves about Techron I tried that and had the same results. The car now has 200,000 miles on it and belongs to my high school age daughter. She adds nothing but cheap gas and it is back to sounding like the milkman coming up the stairs when it starts cold. She could care less about Techron.

Some of you are aware of the problems BMW had with US gasoline and their silicon impregnated aluminum cylinder bores. In the 1990's BMW went so far as to instruct its owners not to use Mobil gas.

I believe much of our running problems with old carbureted engines is today's fuel. The additives may or may not help, and if they do, it is temporary...kind of like taking vitamins.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 07-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by dplotkin

Some of you are aware of the problems BMW had with US gasoline and their silicon impregnated aluminum cylinder bores. In the 1990's BMW went so far as to instruct its owners not to use Mobil gas.

I believe much of our running problems with old carbureted engines is today's fuel. The additives may or may not help, and if they do, it is temporary...kind of like taking vitamins.

Dan
Jaguar had the same problem with Nikasil cylinder linings. Excessive sulphur in the gas was the root cause. No additive will overcome that. Today's fuel, by federal mandate, is low sulphur.

What problems are you guys having that make you think that an additive is needed or will help?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

My wife's Escalade starting running like crap 2 years ago. Took it to dealer and they did an induction job which seemed to cure it for a few weeks.

It came back. I use Seafoam in my boat so I did 2 rounds in the Escalade. It has run smoothly since.

Was it Seafoam or coincidence, divine providence? I have no idea.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Right after I put it in my C5 my gas gauge began to function properly after not working for several months.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:28 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Pale oil
Naptha
IPA
Carbon Dioxide

Seafoam MSDS

Jim
India Pale Ale ?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
India Pale Ale ?

Hmmmm...... maybe I should re-think my decision to avoid the stuff.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmmmm...... maybe I should re-think my decision to avoid the stuff.
Jim, I had a 6 year old Formula SCCA (Mazda 2300) that I did a leakdown on. Had 95% on 3 cylinders and 60% on one. Ran half a bottle thru the throttle body @ 2,500rpm. That cylinder came back up to 92%. probably carbon on the exhaust valve.
Water misted in might have produced the same but the SeeFoam worked and the car ran great in the next race.

BTW, saw one of your injection rebuilds on a 58 a friend of mine just bought.

Get notified of new replies

To Sea Foam

Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm still waiting for the usual "IT'S SNAKE OIL" response.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Well OK than;

It's my opinon that all these additives be it fuel or oil are "Snake Oil".
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
But it isn't- it works great for it's original purpose. Much like WD40 it then gets marketed for everything else that it's not so good at.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam