C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill32
Jim, I had a 6 year old Formula SCCA (Mazda 2300) that I did a leakdown on. Had 95% on 3 cylinders and 60% on one. Ran half a bottle thru the throttle body @ 2,500rpm. That cylinder came back up to 92%. probably carbon on the exhaust valve.
Water misted in might have produced the same but the SeeFoam worked and the car ran great in the next race.
I had similar results with MMO.

Engine not started in 15 years. When it awoke, it was running on several cylinders (maybe as few as 3, definitely fewer than 6 (of 8)). MMO in the oil and in short order it was running on 7.5 cylinders.

BTW, saw one of your injection rebuilds on a 58 a friend of mine just bought.
I know the unit. I spoke by phone to Joe just the other day.

What you saw isn't impressive unless you saw how it looked when I first got it. It looked as if it could have been dredged up from the Titanic.

In any event, it's now a sweet FI unit.

Jim
Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

[QUOTE=jim lockwood;1587473221]I had similar results with MMO.

Engine not started in 15 years. When it awoke, it was running on several cylinders (maybe as few as 3, definitely fewer than 6 (of 8)). MMO in the oil and in short order it was running on 7.5 cylinders.

Soooo I guess you'd call it a V 7½ ?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

Soooo I guess you'd call it a V 7½ ?
I called it a lot of things that day. Then I looked in the mirror and realized who was responsible for that lost 1/2 cylinder.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I had similar results with MMO.

I know the unit. I spoke by phone to Joe just the other day.

What you saw isn't impressive unless you saw how it looked when I first got it. It looked as if it could have been dredged up from the Titanic.

In any event, it's now a sweet FI unit.

Jim
The car is rough but the body is really nice. At least it's "all there".58 fuelie field find.

I'll be on Reno-Fernley on Saturday.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill32
The car is rough but the body is really nice. At least it's "all there".58 fuelie field find.

I'll be on Reno-Fernley on Saturday.
It's supposed to be a 16K mile car. From the look of the inside of the FI unit, I can believe it..... it was pristine. (probably due to the seafoam) The car must have been stored outside forever, tho, for the amount of corrosion there was.

Enjoy Fernley. Friend of mine once described that track as "diabolical".

Jim
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Enjoy Fernley. Friend of mine once described that track as "diabolical".

Jim
3,000 laps there counting when I was in the right seat.

No "offs" when I was driving including in the Formula Atlantic.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

My two cents....Techron Fuel and Carb Cleaner is good stuff. Eliminated the knock from a Crown Vic's motor after the ford dealer messed with it using their cleaner process. They cracked the intake manifold in the process (composite material). IT STILL KNOCKED. After they replaced the manifold I wouldn't let them mess with it any more. Instead, tried two bottles of Techron in two consecutive tanks of gas. Knock disappeared and never returned. I use a bottle on my cars at least twice per year.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Default Seafoam

Seafoam is the only product of this nature which I've ever tried and actually received a proper result. Definitely not a cure all for any issue, but I do think it helps clear some impurities from a fuel system and delivery system! I've used it on several occasions when a vehicle was running a bit rough (usually from long term storage) and Seafoam in the tank helped smooth things out and improve the running...My 2 cents...Worth about 1 cent...
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I generally regards all such products as snake oil but have to admit to having positive results with Sea Foam. I've soaked stuck Mercury fuel injectors in it and had them start working again. I had one of my boats with newer Suzukis developing a problem where they would start then die and have to restarted again, sometimes twice more. After one tank with a can of Sea Foam they stopped that behavior.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
I generally regards all such products as snake oil but have to admit to having positive results with Sea Foam. I've soaked stuck Mercury fuel injectors in it and had them start working again. I had one of my boats with newer Suzukis developing a problem where they would start then die and have to restarted again, sometimes twice more. After one tank with a can of Sea Foam they stopped that behavior.
That's using the product for it's original 1940s purpose but on today's hardware.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The IPA (iso propyl alcohol) is a very polar solvent which will dissolve the water that condenses in your fuel system over time. Marine vehicles would be more prone to getting water in the fuel systems. Water will not combust, but when dissolved in enough IPA, the mixture will burn.

Jim
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JAMES69
The IPA (iso propyl alcohol) is a very polar solvent which will dissolve the water that condenses in your fuel system over time. Marine vehicles would be more prone to getting water in the fuel systems. Water will not combust, but when dissolved in enough IPA, the mixture will burn.

Jim
water doesn't 'dissolve', but it will get 'absorbed'

Bill
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Of course we could now debate the point that the same group that just hates E10 because it absorbs moisture apparently loves Sea Foam- which absorbs moisture.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 AM
rahaul
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Of course we could now debate the point that the same group that just hates E10 because it absorbs moisture apparently loves Sea Foam- which absorbs moisture.
Good call Mike! We all love E10 and can't wait for E15 and E20.

I say it is a lot like going to the doctor. If the doc throws enough pills at you, one of them is bound to work. Human body and internal combustion engine - too many variables.

I will say this to the credit of Seafoam. Had the Jet Skis at the lake this summer. One was running like crap. Had new plugs and fresh fuel. Hard starting, would stall, run some more on full choke, etc, etc. My buddy asked me if I ever had water get into the fuel through that small hole where the plastic cover used to be on the fuel cap. I made a mad dash to the local parts store as he was closing. Dumped the whole can of Seafoam in and within 10 min at ran like a champ and did so for the entire week.

I have no idea how much water was in the fuel or carbs but I can assure you that it burned every drop of it.

Vic in Arkansas
Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 AM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I put a can of it and a can of lead additive in with every non-ethanol gas fillup on my 66s...
Old 08-01-2014, 03:17 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Well, maybe it's because E10 in a 20 gallon tank equals 2 gallons of ethanol alcohol, which has the potential to absorb a heck of a lot more water vapor out of the atmosphere and induce it into a fuel system than does the few ounces of IPA in Sea Foam, which is designed to get rid of water which is already there................

Not to mention the corrosive effects of 2 gallons of ethanol on old cars' fuel system parts.............

Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Or maybe, just maybe, the whole panic over ethanol is really a non-event, just like the removal of lead back in the '70s.

Here's the sum total of 20 years damage to the inside of my gas tank after being fed nothing but E10

The horror.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Or maybe, just maybe, the whole panic over ethanol is really a non-event, just like the removal of lead back in the '70s.

Here's the sum total of 20 years damage to the inside of my gas tank after being fed nothing but E10

The horror.

I could show similar results pictures of many carburetors Mikey, If I was motivated to take pictures and post them.

Of the many carburetors I've been inside of in the last 30 years, I've only seem one that was corroded. It was mine from new and had been sitting idle on another location and never had E 10 run through it. Another carb I've had apart recently was gummed up big time. No history on it as I just bought the pos but once cleaned, it worked fine.

Corrosion and gum in carburetors have been part of the maintenance drill since there have been carburetors hasn't it? I remember back in the early '50's, ...............................

Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 PM
chuckaroo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Foam

I understands Sea Foam is very caustic and can actually etch metal...maybe good for an occasional clean up but might be contraindicated for everyday use.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam