C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

auto lift.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Default auto lift.

I am in the market for a lift to put in my garage. 10 ft, ceilings.,, Any recomendations would be apreciated.Used mostly for storage
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Do a search on this forum for two/four post lifts and you should get many hits. They have been discussed a lot.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by roberts427
I am in the market for a lift to put in my garage. 10 ft, ceilings.,, Any recomendations would be apreciated.Used mostly for storage
Robert,

I am in the same boat and contemplating the attached lift. I have spoken with two people who have had the lift over 10 years and they are very happy with it.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...ifts/usl-6000/
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtranger
Robert,

I am in the same boat and contemplating the attached lift. I have spoken with two people who have had the lift over 10 years and they are very happy with it.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...ifts/usl-6000/
The only problem I see with this lift is that you will have it in your way when doing work under the car, except for oil changes. I've seen two post lifts that were short (about 4'), but would allow full access under the car. Nothing would be more annoying than having the actual lift be in your way as you are trying to work! IMO.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

If used mostly for storage IMO a 4-post lift is better than a 2-post lift. Easier to just drive on and lift it up. No messing around with having to posiition arms and lift pads. I have an Autolifters lift but they were run out of business by the cheap Chinese lifts a number of years ago. They are designed to where the cross members fully encompass the columns with positive locks. Backyard Buddy builds the same basic lift but they are kind of pricey I have to admit. Other good ones out there that members here can vouch for.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM
LUPHOLE
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased a stinger lift. it is a four post like the back yard buddy and was even a few bucks cheaper. there is a discount for museum members and the people at stinger are very good to work with. you buy direct from the factory in Kansas (they have a web site). I picked mine up at the trucking terminal in Baltimore and did the assembly my self (assembly works best with two or three able bodied guys but I used a front end loader for the heavy lifting since all of my buds are old farts too). I also bought the wheel option so I could move it around--money well spent. also bought the drip pans since I do park half of a car under the lift when the "queen" is in the air.
the stinger is made in the usa---a big deal to me. there are some cheaper lifts but I didn't find anything in my search that was in the same class. all told I had been looking for a lift for a number of years. even looked at some very nice used ones. a couple of the used ones did not have the safety catches that the stinger has so that was a concern.
good luck.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

10 ft ceiling is not high enough to work under comfortably . You may want to look into one of the scissor hoists that don't go as high .

Bill
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

go to the sticky on the front page or use the search function.

the FAQ section has.............

2/4 post lift discussions:
Because Of Age, Need Car Lift
New Auto lift, garage info
Car lift, brands used by members
Car Lifts, How practical are they?
Recommendations on 4 Post Lifts
How to wire for lift in new arage?
What brand of car lifts do you guys use?
4 Post lift problems (read entire thread)
Four Post Lift Collapsed - Warnings (read entire thread)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...aq-thread.html
Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 PM
jpuskas
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10ft ceiling and a 4 post lift in my garage. I modified a couple of the trusses to get the roof line of my cars a bit higher up. Would be nice if they could go a little bit higher but I can work under the cars no problem.

I have a Direct Lift 4 post - ProPark 8. Works very well and has ANSI certification for testing and safety.

http://www.directlift.com/

Get notified of new replies

To auto lift.

Quick Reply: auto lift.