C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

68 Z28 manifold on 62- will it clear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default 68 Z28 manifold on 62- will it clear?

I'm contemplating putting a larger engine in the 62 I bought, and have heard that the 68 Z28 manifold makes more power because of the better angles on the runners than the 62 340 horse manifold. I need to have something that has an oil fill tube in it, thus that is one reason I want to run it also. Did a forum search, but really didn't answer my questions on clearance on a 62. Any one running one? Any clearance issues? Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 03:56 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

My 56 "had" a complete 68 Z motor installed when I purchased. Hood clearance was not an issue
Old 07-28-2014, 04:09 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

At one time, I had a Z-28 intake manifold on the engine in my '62. It was either from a '68, '69, or '70. I can't remember. And they may all be the same manifold. Fit my '62 perfectly. At various times had a Holley or an Edelbrock Performer, and various air cleaners. The air cleaners were either the skinny stock one or an open one with a drop down base. All this will fit. But you have no more room for adapters. I have a shiny spot on the underside of my hood. Not bad. But there's no room left.

You'll have some work finding an appropriate air cleaner. The drop down bases can interfere with the fuel inlet on the carbs. The stock one is skinny enough, but won't fit modern 5 ¼" air horns. This is another subject. Good luck with your project.

Some of the aftermarket intake manifolds have a boss which you can drill for an oil fill tube.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
At one time, I had a Z-28 intake manifold on the engine in my '62. It was either from a '68, '69, or '70. I can't remember. And they may all be the same manifold. Fit my '62 perfectly. At various times had a Holley or an Edelbrock Performer, and various air cleaners. The air cleaners were either the skinny stock one or an open one with a drop down base. All this will fit. But you have no more room for adapters. I have a shiny spot on the underside of my hood. Not bad. But there's no room left.

You'll have some work finding an appropriate air cleaner. The drop down bases can interfere with the fuel inlet on the carbs. The stock one is skinny enough, but won't fit modern 5 ¼" air horns. This is another subject. Good luck with your project.

Some of the aftermarket intake manifolds have a boss which you can drill for an oil fill tube.

Thanks, Chris. That is what I was looking for.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

It will fit, but it will be VERY, VERY tight as mentioned.
There is a distinct difference between 67-68 and 69-72 Z28 (LT1) manifolds. The MAIN differences are at the front of the manifold. The 67-69 versions have a hole for the oil tube, ALTHOUGH, in 69 the hole was plugged from the factory with a welch plug. The 70-72 versions had the boss for an oil tube, BUT, it was cast shut.

In the pictures below, the one on the LEFT is the 67-68 version, the right one is the 69-72 version (specifically, it's a 69 because it has the hole for an oil tube and the plug has been knocked out). The adapter is for installing a Q-jet. The reason for the changes that occured at the front of the manifold is because of changes that occured on SOME cars (ie Camaro, Chevelle, etc), where the alternator and AC compressor swapped sides on the engine. Thus, ALL SB manifolds changed in 69.

The bottom manifold is the 67-68 version.

ABSOLUTELY, without question, for an all around driver/performance SB manifold, the original Z28 version is top choice. Chevrolet offered a service replacement version of the Z28 intake, and it had noticeable differences and was not as ''clean" looking. The runners for each cylinder were numbered and at the base of runners there was a flange, whereas the production manifolds were straight and smooth all the way to the head mating surface. I have these on two cars and a boat motor and a 68 version on a 350 in my son's 68 Chevelle. The cars have an adapter with a Q-jet and the boat has an early 780 Holley.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Z28 manifold on 62- will it clear?

Quick Reply: 68 Z28 manifold on 62- will it clear?