C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

R134a fitting for 66 ac

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default R134a fitting for 66 ac

I am trying to get the adapter fittings for connecting my r12 compressor to the 134a fittings. I can find a bunch of kits and they seem to focus on high side and low side being either 7/16 or 3/8. im in the parking lot and was hoping someone knew which size fittings fit my a6 compressor
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM
itsforfun
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Doing the Same Thing.

I am planning for my AC pro to take care of the new fittings.
Did you make any mods to the STV?
Check my post on the AC sticky.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 AM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My A/C has been frustrating problem. I had my STV rebuilt by Classic Auto Air. It is the only part on the car that ever saw coolant before - all other components are new. I wrestled with the R12 vs R134a for a while before deciding to go with R134a. I did not have much success finding an A/C pro who had experience with an STV, so I went with the first one that did.
Hopefully you have a pro that knows. I was told by mine that I had to remove the compressor and feed as much oil through the low pressure side that I could by slowly turning the clutch - then feed the rest into the drier bottle. That seemed like a rather odd process. I posted here and was told that was the way to do it. I spoke with another guy who had been to WYO Tech and he said he learned to fill the oil via the coolant charge - all at the same time. That method makes more sense to me than the former. At this point it don't matter as the oil is installed.
I need to properly install the vacuum lines and then I will make an appointment to draw down a vacuum and verify the system is tight and then get it charged
Good luck with yours
Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

as i said in an earlier thread, the R134a adapters will screw onto the existing R12 valves (which are the same OD), the new valves will each have a different size OD, this is to idiot-proof the charging and supposedly make it 'impossible' to hook up the wrong hose (high pressure/low pressure) to the wrong fitting.

and, yes, oil is typically put in with the refrigerant.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To R134a fitting for 66 ac

Quick Reply: R134a fitting for 66 ac