C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
FrankieO
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic ignition

I have 1966 roadster , it has a 327 / 300, when motor warms up it develops a whistling sound when I stop at a stop light, had the timing set and that helped for a little while , but the whistling has started again. Was thinking about installing a electronic ignition, anybody else had this problem? Do you think the electronic ignition will fix this , and what other benefits will a new ignition give the car? And can anyone recommend one that's keeps the car looking stock?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I doubt very much that the whistling sound is ignition related. More that likely you have a vacuum leak.
A lot of people use the Petronix units but I have no experience with one.
It is just a coincidence I have a Petronix distributor on my bench that I removed from my friends car this weekend due to no spark.
I put in a point distributor and the car fired right up.
Joe
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You won't notice any change. Like above check for vacumn leaks.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankieO
I have 1966 roadster , it has a 327 / 300, when motor warms up it develops a whistling sound when I stop at a stop light, had the timing set and that helped for a little while , but the whistling has started again. Was thinking about installing a electronic ignition, anybody else had this problem? Do you think the electronic ignition will fix this , and what other benefits will a new ignition give the car? And can anyone recommend one that's keeps the car looking stock?

Thanks
Every Holley "whistle" I've dealt with ended up being a vacuum leak resulting from wrong main body-to-baseplate gasket, warped surfaces, and/or loose baseplate-to-main body screws.

You're not really talking about "electronic ignition" when you talk about Pertronix, Breakerless SE, etc.; they just replace the points with an electronic switch, and don't provide any more secondary plug-firing voltage than a points system does. They DO save you the terrible chore of checking the dwell once a year and installing new points every couple of years.

"Electronic ignition" is a whole different subject, and a LOT more money.

Get notified of new replies

To electronic ignition

Quick Reply: electronic ignition