C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 fuelie hot start problmes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965fuelie

I have always used high octane ethanol free pump gas on my 65 and 67 Corvettes.
I was just curious. So, it looks like you sometimes have balky hot restart with straight gasoline?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MikeM
I was just curious. So, it looks like you sometimes have balky hot restart with straight gasoline?
Mike
i have always thought that hot restart problems are like 'stuff', it sometimes happens?
Bill
Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Mike
i have always thought that hot restart problems are like 'stuff', it sometimes happens?
Bill
I am just fishing for knowledge and real experiences. You should know that.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
1965fuelie
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
No, I do not. But sometimes I ask myself if the engine has cooled enough for a cold start procedure, but I have figured out that on my fuelie even a semi-cooled engine needs the hot start method. The cold start procedure will flood a warm engine, but If the engine is flooded it will start after some seconds of cranking with the throttle fully open.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1965fuelie
No, I do not. But sometimes I ask myself if the engine has cooled enough for a cold start procedure, but I have figured out that on my fuelie even a semi-cooled engine needs the hot start method. The cold start procedure will flood a warm engine, but If the engine is flooded it will start after some seconds of cranking with the throttle fully open.
What you've described is the ambiguous situation of a warm engine.

Always begin with the throttle wide open. If the engine fires, great. You are on your way.

If the engine doesn't immediately fire, it's telling you it's not getting fuel. In that case, take your foot off the throttle and crank the engine. It will then fire.

In either case the engine may run roughly due to fuel perc. If that happens, immediately start driving. Don't wait for the engine to smooth out. As soon as you start driving the engine will instantly run smoothly. Instantly..... like flipping a switch.

The techniques I've just described are applicable to all fuelies, not just a 7380 model like the OP owns.

Jim
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM
groberts615
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to update everyone and maybe close out this thread.

I checked for proper operation of the enrichment solenoid by disconnecting it from the microswitch and jumpering it to the battery. It clicked nicely on and off.

I then verified that the purple wire going into the microswitch was connected to the right terminal on the starter motor so that it only gets voltage when it is cranking. I did find that that post is grounded when the car is off - this makes it hard to verify proper microswitch operation by ohming it out when connected, but disconnected it worked fine.

I then reconnected everything and disconnected the coil and grounded it so the car would not start and connected a voltmeter to the solenoid side of the microswitch.

As to not flood the engine too much I did this quickly...no pedal, crank the engine - saw 9V at the solenoid, then stepped on the pedal and the voltage went to 0V.

So it looks like the full circuit and hardware is working correctly.

I will try the no-ethanol gas (which is hard to get in CT) with lead to boost the octane if I cannot find high octane. I will also be more careful on my hot start. I may have had the same problem where I thought the car may have cooled off and did a cold start when I should have done a hot start. I will always try the hot start procedure and then go to cold start if it doesn't start.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: 65 fuelie hot start problmes