C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 front end: one piece vs. PM

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 AM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 63 front end: one piece vs. PM

(Hi

After 25 years of storage, I'm finally making progress getting my 63 back on the road. It needs a new front end and I'm just about pressing the order button for a one piece from ACI but would like to hear experienced opinions if possible.

I've searched and read through all posts I could find. Most of the arguments center on the value of the car. I'm in Europe where the value question is not (at least yet) so strongly tied to the originality, I'll be keeping the car until I can't enjoy it (sickness, old age...) and I love doing my own work, it's therapeutic .

Are there any technical differences concerning painting or durability between the one piece and PM parts? The rest of the car is now original yellowish white ( I hand sanded) and uncoated. It's my understanding the one piece is either black or bright white and with gelcoat. Will this difference show up at any point? If I go with the one piece, I'll be sanding and painting the underside and installing at least most bonding strips. The car has had several repairs to its floor pan and will never be 100% correct.

It's also clear that installing a one piece will require more work than PM. Anyone who has installed an ACI front end, did the grinding feel endless ? Would the PM part just "drop in" or require considerable time to fit too? Not that it really matters as I will try to do it myself but if I get discouraged I'll have to convince somebody to fix it..

I don't have a set bugdet or a schedule but saving the $3000 plus import taxes is very tempting. Does anybody have pictures of installed ACI one piece front ends?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Hand laid pieces, such as the ACI one-piece front end, are generally thicker than press molded factory pieces. ACI makes a great product and I believe you will be quite happy with it. Fitting at the cowl and front door edges will take grinding effort. I know a couple people who have used this product and are very satisfied with the end result. You will also spend some time fitting and bonding the fender wells in place. The color of the fiberglass is not an issue. You prime and paint the color that you wish.

Quick Reply: 63 front end: one piece vs. PM