C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I put an "always-on" dashcam in my car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 PM
pullin-gs
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I put an "always-on" dashcam in my car.

I hope I'll never need it.
It is a Mini-801 HD mounted in front of the rear-view mirror.
It will record about one hour in 5-minute length video files.
Once the flash fills up (internal 8GB), it will cycle through deleting the oldest files first.
It continues to record one hour after I cut off the engine.
It automatically powers on when I start the car.
Video is pretty good, audio is OK.
I've got a 32GB mico-SD card on order (will give about 8 hours of video).
Stamps video with GPS locations, and records locations to a log/time file also.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Please give us more feedback after you use it some...I've been thinking about getting one like this but had no idea where to start since there's so much junky stuff out there. Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by pullin-gs
I hope I'll never need it.
It is a Mini-801 HD mounted in front of the rear-view mirror.
It will record about one hour in 5-minute length video files.
Once the flash fills up (internal 8GB), it will cycle through deleting the oldest files first.
It continues to record one hour after I cut off the engine.
It automatically powers on when I start the car.
Video is pretty good, audio is OK.
I've got a 32GB mico-SD card on order (will give about 8 hours of video).
Stamps video with GPS locations, and records locations to a log/time file also.
I have two of these cameras, one in each of our daily drivers.

With a 32GB mini-SD card, we get 2 hours of video, not 8.

Also, recording shuts off about 1 minute after the ignition is turned off.

For anyone thinking about getting one of these cameras, a couple of things to know:

1. The GPS function is optional and exists in the mounting foot. Be sure you know what you are buying. For some screwy reason, a camera which is set up to expect a GPS foot will work with a non-GPS foot BUT the converse is not true: You can NOT add a GPS foot to a camera not factory configured to work with GPS.

2. The 8GB memory is also optional. With 32GB of removable memory, I saw no advantage to having the internal memory so neither of our cameras were purchased with it.

3. In use, the camera gets pretty warm and I'm not just talking about being warmed by sunlight through the windshield. It generates a pretty good amount of heat all on its own.

4. The wide angle lens has no sun shade and glare when driving in the general direction of the sun is pretty bad. I'm going to make some kind of "awning" for the lenses of our cameras to see if I can cut down on the glare somewhat.

5. The Chin-glish in the manual is difficult to understand. Actual operation and set up is pretty simple once you figure out what the author was trying to say.

Bottom line: Overall, not a bad camera for the money.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 07-28-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I've been using the SmartCam HD 2 from dashcamusa.com
very nice camera.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Anyone using a GoPro and whats your opinion of it?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,606 Likes on 665 Posts

I heard that Kerrmudgeon has one that is pointed at the passenger seat. (Thats where he gets all his avatars from)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
pullin-gs
Pro

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I have two of these cameras, one in each of our daily drivers.,With a 32GB mini-SD card, we get 2 hours of video, not 8.
I'm seeing much longer than that....are you sure you got a 32GB and not a rip-off version (restamped 8GB, sold as 32GB)?? I'm getting 120 minutes with just the internal 8GB at full-HD.
Anyway, you can use a lower-res codec (such as a 720p) and times go way up.

Also, recording shuts off about 1 minute after the ignition is turned off.
Not true.....install a Power Magic timed delay power feed. Is programmable from one hour or more power delivery to camera AFTER power is shutoff (even from the battery-disconnect).

For anyone thinking about getting one of these cameras, a couple of things to know:
2. The 8GB memory is also optional. With 32GB of removable memory, I saw no advantage to having the internal memory so neither of our cameras were purchased with it.
Not true.....8GB IS OFTEN SOLD CHEAPER than one without memory at all....go figure. Price before you buy.

Last edited by pullin-gs; 07-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:53 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I understand the reason for this front facing camera in the car.... ??
Afraid someone will back into you ??
Fun later watching the road go by at high speed ??
I would be more afraid of having my Vette driving habit captured for later review by who knows who... Humm....
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Search youtube for "dashcam" and you'll see a million reasons it'd be handy to have one, in addition to watching the scenery.

People actually do backup into the vehicle behind them to initiate insurance fraud. This kind of thing is insanely prevalent in a few countries, like Russia. That's why there are so many dashcams there nowadays. Also, most of that crazy meteor footage a few months ago was from dashcams.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

I'm seeing much longer than that....are you sure you got a 32GB and not a rip-off version (restamped 8GB, sold as 32GB)?? I'm getting 120 minutes with just the internal 8GB at full-HD.
My mistake. Our 1st camera has a 16GB SanDisk chip and we get right at 3 hours of video with it.

Not true.....install a Power Magic timed delay power feed. Is programmable from one hour or more power delivery to camera AFTER power is shutoff (even from the battery-disconnect).
Huh? Both of our cameras shut themselves off about 1 minute after the ignition shuts off. Exactly as I wrote previously.

Not true.....8GB IS OFTEN SOLD CHEAPER than one without memory at all....go figure. Price before you buy.
The 8GB internal memory wasn't available when we got our camera. 512 MB was the limit. I do notice that cameras with internal memory are $10 cheaper right now on Amazon but that wasn't the case in the past.

In any event, internal memory is an option.

Jim
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
pullin-gs
Pro

Huh? Both of our cameras shut themselves off about 1 minute after the ignition shuts off. Exactly as I wrote previously. Jim
But this isnt about your camera.
The thread is about my setup, which records for an hour after I turn the car off.
http://www.blackvue.com.sg/power-magic-pro.html

" acts as a countdown timer where user can set the preferable duration to have the [Mini 0810] operates when parked."

Last edited by pullin-gs; 07-28-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

But this isnt about your camera.
The thread is about my setup, which records for an hour after I turn the car off.
Your initial post made no mention of an add-on, supplemental power supply for your camera.

What I wrote about the camera shutting off after power is cut was and is accurate. That's a trait of the camera in general, not just the ones I own.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM
pullin-gs
Pro

Your initial post made no mention of an add-on, supplemental power supply for your camera.
Sure Jim.
I'll post some pictures of my one-hour setup when I get some better ones taken. One hour (programmable to eight??) gives me piece of mind when I leave the car. These things run hot, so I've also made an aluminum heat-shield which doubles as a sun visor for the camera. It blends it better with mirror giving it better stealth. The cable is hidden inside the passenger side windshield pillar.
I had direct-power to the battery already run for my receiver, so a lot of the wiring had already been done.

Last edited by pullin-gs; 07-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I put an "always-on" dashcam in my car.

Quick Reply: I put an "always-on" dashcam in my car.