C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Slight grinding going into fourth

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM
erb64
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slight grinding going into fourth

64 with a 400hp reworked 327, stock four speed tranny. First through third are very smooth. The last few weekends noticed a slight grind going into fourth at speed. Just a minor issue but worried about a major malfunction.

Besides gas and wax nothing done to it the last two months. Any ideas guys?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by erb64
64 with a 400hp reworked 327, stock four speed tranny. First through third are very smooth. The last few weekends noticed a slight grind going into fourth at speed. Just a minor issue but worried about a major malfunction.

Besides gas and wax nothing done to it the last two months. Any ideas guys?
Possible synchro going bad. Have you tried adjusting the linkage?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

If it's been shifting fine before this and you haven't touched the linkage, agreed its a bad synchro. Fix it before you need a gear too. You'll be happy you avoided the extra cost.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 AM
myronf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, but it only does it when fully warmed up.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't ride with your hand on the shifter in fourth gear! It WILL wear the engagement fork and the clutch hub and cause the problem you describe. If that's what you have been doing, then just skip to the end..

After each one of these checks take a test drive.

First things first, check the cotton pickin oil!! Its a plug on the passenger side, crack it loose and oil should run out. If not, fill it until it does with some 75 weight gear oil.

If its a factory shifter check the holes in the levers to make sure they are not oblong and check the actual linkage arms to make sure they are not worn down. If they aren't adjust linkage according to chassis service manual.

These parts get worked millions of times throughout a vehicles life, and they are subject to wear and replacement as is anything else.

If you have a hurst shifter and you used the plastic bushings, order the hurst pit pack. Adjust linkage with a 1/4 -20 bolt four inches long. That plastic pin has too much slop for me...

Summit Racing Part Number:
HUU-3327302

Those are metal bushings that are not subject to much wear. I do grease em once a year. (They are in my Z28 and THAT linkage adjusted properly with the bolt hasn't exactly seen an easy life with me.) But my throws on the stock hurst shifter in that car at 8k rpm are hardly a miss..

Assuming that all of that checks out and is in good working order, you may can then attempt to adjust your clutch linkage. Especially if you are getting a grinding action in reverse. (unsynchronized).

NOW, if you have gone through these checks and everything else above is fine, but are still getting the grinding, then your fourth gear synchronizer is going out or your fork and clutch hub are worn out which means you have to pull the tranny and rebuild it. Make sure you use the torque lock sliders and new forks if you get to this point.

Let us know how it turns out and what fixes the problem..

Tony
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If it was mine? And the transmission fluid was unknown? I'd drain it and put the oil in the transmission as specified in the owner's manual and see if the problem didn't go away. Seems like some of these guys like to re-engineer what Chevrolet spec'd way back when and come up with shifting problems. Things like the latest whizz bang transmission fluid they heard about on a *** website or other automotive website.

If it continues to scrape a little between 3-4 upshift, I'd drive on and just slow down the shift a little. That's much better than the labor/cost of pulling the transmission and replacing parts.

My truck ('95 model) five speed has scraped between 2-3 since it was new. That was 150K miles ago. No better, no worse now. My 2001 car has scraped between 2-3 ever since I've had it. I've owned it 5 years and it hasn't gotten any worse. All I do is slow down the upshift a little and it doesn't scrape.

Word to the wise.................

Last edited by MikeM; 07-28-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeM
If it was mine? And the transmission fluid was unknown? I'd drain it and put the oil in the transmission as specified in the owner's manual and see if the problem didn't go away. Seems like some of these guys like to re-engineer what Chevrolet spec'd way back when and come up with shifting problems. Things like the latest whizz bang transmission fluid they heard about on a *** website or other automotive website.

If it continues to scrape a little between 3-4 upshift, I'd drive on and just slow down the shift a little. That's much better than the labor/cost of pulling the transmission and replacing parts.

My truck ('95 model) five speed has scraped between 2-3 since it was new. That was 150K miles ago. No better, no worse now. My 2001 car has scraped between 2-3 ever since I've had it. I've owned it 5 years and it hasn't gotten any worse. All I do is slow down the upshift a little and it doesn't scrape.

Word to the wise.................
Seems to me I recall reading about that happening with synthetic gear lube as well with the old boxes. So at least have a look and switch it out before you rip it out!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
erb64
Pro

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Seems to me I recall reading about that happening with synthetic gear lube as well with the old boxes. So at least have a look and switch it out before you rip it out!
Sounds like a plan, who's your girlfriend in the pic?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

Slow down the shift...really? Now where's the fun in that idea?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Usafstingray
Slow down the shift...really? Now where's the fun in that idea?
It'll come to ya' while yer rollin' around on a dirty concrete floor trying to wrestle the transmission out!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Usafstingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
It'll come to ya' while yer rollin' around on a dirty concrete floor trying to wrestle the transmission out!

Great point
Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM
fastfreddie63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
Don't ride with your hand on the shifter in fourth gear! It WILL wear the engagement fork and the clutch hub and cause the problem you describe. If that's what you have been doing, then just skip to the end..

After each one of these checks take a test drive.

First things first, check the cotton pickin oil!! Its a plug on the passenger side, crack it loose and oil should run out. If not, fill it until it does with some 75 weight gear oil.

If its a factory shifter check the holes in the levers to make sure they are not oblong and check the actual linkage arms to make sure they are not worn down. If they aren't adjust linkage according to chassis service manual.

These parts get worked millions of times throughout a vehicles life, and they are subject to wear and replacement as is anything else.

If you have a hurst shifter and you used the plastic bushings, order the hurst pit pack. Adjust linkage with a 1/4 -20 bolt four inches long. That plastic pin has too much slop for me...

Summit Racing Part Number:
HUU-3327302

Those are metal bushings that are not subject to much wear. I do grease em once a year. (They are in my Z28 and THAT linkage adjusted properly with the bolt hasn't exactly seen an easy life with me.) But my throws on the stock hurst shifter in that car at 8k rpm are hardly a miss..

Assuming that all of that checks out and is in good working order, you may can then attempt to adjust your clutch linkage. Especially if you are getting a grinding action in reverse. (unsynchronized).

NOW, if you have gone through these checks and everything else above is fine, but are still getting the grinding, then your fourth gear synchronizer is going out or your fork and clutch hub are worn out which means you have to pull the tranny and rebuild it. Make sure you use the torque lock sliders and new forks if you get to this point.

Let us know how it turns out and what fixes the problem..

Tony
This is great information Tony - Thanks. I had my 63's T10 rebuilt last year by Masterwork's source - it had never been done. 2nd and 3rd would pop out of gear all the time; especially on a downshift's once I released the shifter. Now, since a complete rebuild and new clutch, 2nd gear is a little tough to engage when cold but gets easier as it warms up - but never feels real smooth like 1,3,4 do. Still, once in a while, it wants to pop out on a downshift from 4th or 3rd to 2nd and while maintaining higher (2500-3000 or so) rpm. I never thought about checking for wear on the shifter - which is stock original to the car. The mainshaft, gears, syncro's and forks were all replaced on rebuild - plus other smaller stuff. Surprisingly, they didn't look that bad with only one or two chiped gears.

Freddie

Get notified of new replies

To Slight grinding going into fourth

Quick Reply: Slight grinding going into fourth