C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Old Corvette gal needs a prayer

Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Old Corvette gal needs a prayer

A lady I met while trying to buy her 58 Vette is in some real bad shape. She had surgery back in Jan. and has been in the hospital since then. She finally got moved back to our town but has pneumonia (bad spelling). I got to see her for the first time in 6 months today and she looked at me through her darth vader masked and told me she gives up. She one of the toughest ladys I have ever met, but that is a long time to be in a hospital. I gave her a kick in the butt and a pep talk. So please say a prayer for her tonight.

If your interested in her cars story it can be found here. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...958-price.html I didn't get the car, but it has been redone and turned out pretty nice.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a cool old gal. Remembered her VIN. Best wishes ..
Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I hope she recovers. That is sad.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

From your avatar it seems like you found your C1 over the past couple of years. Any details of it?
Prayers for the old girl....
Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
From your avatar it seems like you found your C1 over the past couple of years. Any details of it?
Prayers for the old girl....
Mine or hers? Hers was sold to a guy that is a flipper although he told her he promised not to sell it. He did strip it repaint it, put in a 350, and interior although it's not the right interior.

Mine I got from another old lady and I could not be happier. It took 5 years of visits and she used to be my boss. I'm going to the beach the week we have our local town show, and she is going to keep it for me and take it to the show. The icing on the cake is I paid the same amount for the 60 as you see it that he did for the 58. In fairness she called me and told me she wished I would buy it and she said if I would match the price I could take it, but it was just to much money. I think he even realizes that now. You can't get em all.

I really hope she pulls through. Cars are a funny thing. She is laying there about dead yesterday and was told not to talk, and she didn't until we talked about the car. I told her get better and we would spend a day in a solid axle. I sure hope that motivates her some. Thanks for your prayers.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Happy to pray for her. I don't know her, but God does.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Happy to pray for her. I don't know her, but God does.
Amen!!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
A lady I met while trying to buy her 58 Vette is in some real bad shape. She had surgery back in Jan. and has been in the hospital since then. She finally got moved back to our town but has pneumonia (bad spelling). I got to see her for the first time in 6 months today and she looked at me through her darth vader masked and told me she gives up. She one of the toughest ladys I have ever met, but that is a long time to be in a hospital. I gave her a kick in the butt and a pep talk. So please say a prayer for her tonight.

If your interested in her cars story it can be found here. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...958-price.html I didn't get the car, but it has been redone and turned out pretty nice.
You are doing the right thing. Tell her that she can do it, and we are all pulling for her.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I think it's great that you've kept up the relationship with her, sorry she's doing so badly...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Wayne1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through the same thing with a long term car buddy. Remember each day is a day given to us to enjoy help others and build memories.
Prayers for her. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I tracked down her child hood best friend today who I also know through Corvettes and encouraged her to go see her. I'm hoping it would kind of light a fire inside her, but I doubt she will go. I saw her yesterday and she just has that "look" to her. She didn't have that mask on anymore so that is a good sign I hope. I was the only one there and of course because I'm not family they wont tell me much. She did wake up and ask me what day it was. I sure have been praying for her. Thanks for all the comments it makes it easier to deal with.

It's funny, when I started out buying cars it was all about the performance, but as I get older I start looking at them reflecting on memorys and relationships, and I think that is a good thing.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Well, I got off work today and went to the hospital. Walking in I thought in my mind she might have passed. I asked info. and she is still in the same room. I got to ICU and her room was straight ahead down the hall. From 50 ft. away I could tell things are looking better. She was sitting up and looks like her old self. If I understood her correct she said they used needles through her back to get fluid out of her lungs? Praise to Jesus, and thanks so much for your prayers. She has a long way to go, but atleast she is headed in the right direction.

It was pretty neat sitting there talking to a 70 year old lady about Corvettes and the nurse heard us and then she started talking about the cars her dad had. If we had a car in the room it would have been a full blown cruise in
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for the update; you've got me hooked on following this saga.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Reading the original thread, I was struck by this line:

He told he was putting her away for awhile and then would start the restore.
Fast forward 35 years:

"I saw this old guy's garage, and there is a ratty old '58 Vette in it. Says he's owned it since 2012. It's not for sale, he's going to restore it "some day" but for now it just sits in the garage covered with stuff."
Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Reading the original thread, I was struck by this line:

Fast forward 35 years:

"I saw this old guy's garage, and there is a ratty old '58 Vette in it. Says he's owned it since 2012. It's not for sale, he's going to restore it "some day" but for now it just sits in the garage covered with stuff."
Oh I think someone said in that original thread about letting the guy buy it for $20k, put $40k in it and then for me to buy it for $40k. Well we are 1/2 way there . He bought it for $20k and started out very nice on the resto. but then started cutting corners. It has been stripped, painted, and runs, but needs an interior and the chrome is so so. The windshield broke when it was taken out and the soft frame never turned up so it has no top. As much as I wanted that car and still would love to have it, it just wasn't meant to be. It really is a money pit. It took all winter just to get the cat pee smell out of it. It's like is was soaked into the fiberglass. I would stop to see it and he had bars of soap placed in the interior.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At least he's doing SOMETHING with it instead of letting it rot further.

Wonder how the frame is, once he got a real good look at it.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Well, I spent a couple hours today with her and she is doing better, but still a long road ahead. She will be moved out of ICU tomorrow I believe.

She bought that car in 1963 I believe and drove it home with a ripped top and couldn't get up her hill. Her mother hated it and always called it a roller skate

She married a man because he was a great mechanic and they had several solid axle Vettes. She has told me several times about a 57 they had and to her memory it had a factory roll bar. She said she loved that 57 and her husband traded it for a Triumph motorcycle and $200. She pleaded with him not to sell it and even offered the 58 instead of the 57. They did the whole Mako shark front with one of them. It is neat to look at old pics with 2 or 3 solid axles sitting in the drive. One night she remembers her husband had her 58 out and when he got home she ran over and yelled for him to get out of her car and she grabbed him and ripped his shirt. She got in the car and he came after her and grabbed her by the shirt and ripped it clean off of her but she got away. I can just picture her driving a 58 Corvette down the road topless. I never get tired of her memorys.

Get notified of new replies

To Old Corvette gal needs a prayer

Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thx for the update. She's got cool stories.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I never thought this day would come. My old corvette friend is back home and recovering. Shortly after I had started this thread she was sent to a nursing home and then to a Pittsburgh PA hospital. With the end of car show season I lost contact with her grand daughter. I kept getting these texts from an unknown number in Jan. about someones gram coming home. Well I figured it was a wrong number but I ran into her grand daughter friday night and she said she is now home. No more hospital, no more poop bag around her waist. I stopped to see her today and she is in good spirit although she has to learn to walk again because she was in a bed for a year! The first thing she said was I was gonna be taking her to a car show this summer
Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Perfect!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Corvette gal needs a prayer