C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Pros & Cons on soda blasting the C-1 body

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need Pros & Cons on soda blasting the C-1 body

I have a 62 that I want to get all the paint off of. I have been sanding it off and it is going slow. I was thinking about having it soda blasted, but wanted to get some experience (good & Bad) for those that have been there and done that. The interior is out, and the engine is in

Thanks,
Wade Mahaffey
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't do it. The soda will pack into places you can't get to and will leach out and ruin your paint job. Some paint manufacturers won't warranty their product if the car has been soda blasted. Plastic media is the way to go.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default blasting

I had 3 choices...chem strip,soda blast (and heard from members about the reside)...and went with # 6 acrylic beads...had some reside on the under side if frame and around the wheels...but final clean up was done w/ compressed air and soap and water....was very pleased....but the process was done by a company who does specialized with fiberglass vettes and he was the owner and the only one who blasts fiberglass cars...cost was $1200 and I wasn't dissapointed and I'm sure it could be done for less and chem strip would be my next choice

Originally Posted by Mastr Fab
Don't do it. The soda will pack into places you can't get to and will leach out and ruin your paint job. Some paint manufacturers won't warranty their product if the car has been soda blasted. Plastic media is the way to go.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Did mine soda blast was fine and worked well. used PPG paint no problems
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine also done with media-very thorough and no issues. I was told to stay away from soda!

Mike

Last edited by mcb55-210; 07-27-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

I stripped my 57, that had been repainted with lacquere primer, with razor blades, followed by 80 grit lightly on a DA. Then blocked.

The deck lid was very wavey so I used 36 grit on a 8" randem orbiral to level it.
Big mistake! Even after blocking with 80 grit and polyester primer and re blocking twice,
The final finish showed the 36 marks. (after final color sanding they will disapear. I should have gave it a skim coat of filler.)

Contrary to public opinion, catilized primers may take up to 120 days before they shrink well enough to be sanded. I am going to wait until the spring before final sanding and buffing.

What suprized me the most was that even though I blocked the areas where the hard top bolts on several times, the rings around the holes showed up in the final finish.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Soda Blasted my '64 and a friend did his '63 at the same time about 1.5 years ago. It took a little over 3 hours to do both.

We are both doing frame off's so there weren't any places that we couldn't get to clean out residual soda, but with a thorough wash down as well as doing the required body prep before primer etc...

We've had Absolutely no issues and are both very satisfied.

RK
Old 07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
TNVettGuy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

I did mine...best expense I have had on this vette :-)

Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Wade Mahaffey
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you fellas, your soda blasting experiences are of great help

Wade Mahaffey

Get notified of new replies

To Need Pros & Cons on soda blasting the C-1 body

Quick Reply: Need Pros & Cons on soda blasting the C-1 body