C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Coupe Temperature gauge spiked @ 240

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Default 64 Coupe Temperature gauge spiked @ 240

I guess my temperature gauge has malfunctioned, it is spiked straight across at 240, even with the car off. Any of you fine wrenches Know what would cause this. I checked all my wiring to the gauge and to the sending unit. Could the gauge be fried and the sending unit also? How do I check?
Thanks, Leo
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

unplug the sending unit. it should stay at zero with the key on
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

I did as you said and even started the car, made no difference, still pegged @ 240. When I did start the car there was movement in the needle, just a twitch, but it did move. This is the sending unit I hope.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Egor01
I guess my temperature gauge has malfunctioned, it is spiked straight across at 240, even with the car off. Any of you fine wrenches Know what would cause this. I checked all my wiring to the gauge and to the sending unit. Could the gauge be fried and the sending unit also? How do I check?
Thanks, Leo
With the key "on", remove the green wire connector from the temp sending unit - the gauge should peg to full cold; then touch the connector terminal to the engine, and the gauge should peg to full hot. If the gauge reacts that way, the gauge is fine, and the sending unit is faulty.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

That's the sending unit There are write ups on the gauge and how to fix on this Fourm somewhere if you do a search.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Default Help!!!

I took the car out for a drive and the gauge came off (the spiked at over 240 spot) but came back to about 230 and If I hammer on the gas it would fluctuate back and forth from 140-240 and all over the place. I know its not my sending unit, I do have power to the gauge and the proper ground so I took the gauge out of the dash. What I found is the one prong is loose, so I tried to tighten the small screw up and it would only tighten so much and then strip, It wouldn't tighten any more so the prong is basically loose. Can I put a larger screw in it to make it tight or does the end of the original screw touch something inside the casing to give you a proper reading? Or do I need a new gauge, I hope not. I believe the loose prong attaches to the black/pink wire. 64 coupe-327/365, 4 speed.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I would try screwing it in as tight as you can then put a dab of JB weld over the screw head and connector to the backing plate. The electrical contact is through the screw and connector , it should work if the gage is not broken. Worth a try before you spring for a new gage. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 09-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I would think you could buy the next gauge (diameter) of screw in the same length and that would fix you right up. Loews or Home Depot.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:35 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
I would think you could buy the next gauge (diameter) of screw in the same length and that would fix you right up. Loews or Home Depot.
That's what I was thinking also. Its worth a try. I'll hit Lowes in the morning and report back, thanks.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Normally, I would agree with you but this is not a blind hole, there is an electrical connection there and I personally would not want to risk breaking the tiny winding wire when the bigger screw catches. You may end up with a tight connection, but you may also ruin the gage. Hence, the suggestion to re use the old screw with JB weld. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

I took the old screw and prong out and put a dab of red loctite just under the prong (not touching the prong but a couple of threads down and to about half the length of the screw). That way the last half of the screw is all clean. I have had it assembled for about 5 hours now and seems to be tight. When I hook it up tomorrow morning, I'll know if it holds for good. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Egor01
I took the old screw and prong out and put a dab of red loctite just under the prong (not touching the prong but a couple of threads down and to about half the length of the screw). That way the last half of the screw is all clean. I have had it assembled for about 5 hours now and seems to be tight. When I hook it up tomorrow morning, I'll know if it holds for good. Fingers crossed.
Those of us who are troubleshooting our temp gauges today will be anxiously awaiting your post tomorrow. I replaced my old thermostat and temp sensor already and the gauge is still dead. grrrr
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

I put the temperature gauge back in the cluster, button it all up and at the same time just for good measure, ran a ground wire from the bottom of the gauge cluster to a bolt on the cross member behind the radio. Fired it up and low and behold the gauge works, what a relief. I didn't want to go under that dash again, I'm getting to old to go into all them contortions just to get a few screws attached. lol. Its a good thing I ran that extra ground, now all my dash lights are a lot brighter also. Man, I am so happy. I love it when things work out. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.
"Just warming up"

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Coupe Temperature gauge spiked @ 240

Quick Reply: 64 Coupe Temperature gauge spiked @ 240