C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Radiator Question

1966 Corvette SB - I have a Harrison Aluminum radiator from Dewitts. According to the information I have, the capacity including the heater core is 16.5 Qts. I drained the radiator this afternoon via the petcock and only about 11 quarts came out. Is this what you would expect or was I low on coolant. Prior to draining the radiator the overflow tank was checked and found to be at the proper level.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:09 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas2125
1966 Corvette SB - I have a Harrison Aluminum radiator from Dewitts. According to the information I have, the capacity including the heater core is 16.5 Qts. I drained the radiator this afternoon via the petcock and only about 11 quarts came out. Is this what you would expect or was I low on coolant. Prior to draining the radiator the overflow tank was checked and found to be at the proper level.

Thanks in advance for your input.
19 quarts is the TOTAL SYSTEM capacity for a small-block, not just the radiator - it includes the block, heads, water pump, hoses, and heater core in addition to the radiator. If you haven't removed the lower block drain plug on each side, there's still another 4 quarts trapped in the water jackets.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
19 quarts is the TOTAL SYSTEM capacity for a small-block, not just the radiator - it includes the block, heads, water pump, hoses, and heater core in addition to the radiator. If you haven't removed the lower block drain plug on each side, there's still another 4 quarts trapped in the water jackets.

Thanks for the info. Accepting the fact that I have 4 quarts trapped in the water jackets, shouldn't I have drained more than 11 quarts out. Could I have had air trapped in the system? I'm trying to determine the cause of an overheating problem. Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Thanks for the info. Accepting the fact that I have 4 quarts trapped in the water jackets, shouldn't I have drained more than 11 quarts out. Could I have had air trapped in the system? I'm trying to determine the cause of an overheating problem. Thanks again!
There's no such thing as having air "trapped in the system"; if it idles for more than a minute with the cap off, that purges the air, and the system is designed to draw in outside air to replace the volume of coolant that shrinks during engine cooldown every day anyway.

Have you read the article below so you understand how your Corvette cooling system works and how to diagnose and maintain it?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
BeatinTheHeatRestorerArticle.pdf (627.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Dumb question I know, but is it possible you were 4 quarts shy to start with?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
vegas2125
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There's no such thing as having air "trapped in the system"; if it idles for more than a minute with the cap off, that purges the air, and the system is designed to draw in outside air to replace the volume of coolant that shrinks during engine cooldown every day anyway.

Have you read the article below so you understand how your Corvette cooling system works and how to diagnose and maintain it?
John,

Thanks for the input, as well as, the attached article. It is by far one of the most informative articles I've ever read explaining the Corvette's cooling system. Thanks and have a great evening.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 AM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced my orig radiator in my 62. It was running hot. But my main reason was I am going to install A/C this fall. But I first bought a TR temp gun for $29 at lowes. The temp densor was new but still about 10 degrees to high. I use a resister and tune the temp gauge to be accurate. Now with new radiator I am running down the freway at 65 mph and about 195 degrees. I also eliminated the manual fan and went to a puller . Left the orig shroud. I am very happy now. Heading out Wed for a 3 hour road trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Question

Quick Reply: Radiator Question