C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM
rtisenberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Stalling Issue

Just got the car back from paint.

Before that, installed a rebuilt 327/300HP, nothing special all new standard components and upgraded distributor. Never had the engine going since it was scheduled for paint. Tried to get the car going yesterday, but it will not stay running. Haven't been able to set the timing yet, but verified distributor is lined up close. Here's what it does; starts fine after a couple pumps of gas, runs smooth for 5 seconds and then just stalls - no sputtering or spurts, just dies. I can keep it going if I feather the gas or hold at high RPMs. AFB Carb was rebuilt, but sat for a while. Gas is old and gas pump is new and looks to have pressure. Any help on where to look next would be greatly appreciated. BTW, there is a car show this weekend, no pressure.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Check the bowls in the carb, or the screens see if you have small pieces of debris, if so change your fuel filter. Had a similar problem years ago, was using the ORIGINAL G90, for NCRS Judging, it was so old the insides were dissolving breaking very small pieces off and getting stick in the jets and in the carb areas..... Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:38 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Sounds like a fuel problem to me, you may want to disconnect the fuel inlet line and get a small catch can to see how long it takes the fuel pump to fill the can.

If you are satisfied there is no fuel pump issue the only other thing left is to remove the top of the carburetor and have a look.

How long did the carburetor sit with gasoline, the main well could be gummed up with old fuel.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I agree with the above assessment! Very nice looking '63. By the way? Where did you get the idea for your stripe? It looks very familiar. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Stalling Issue

Quick Reply: 63 Stalling Issue