C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body bolt Blues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Body bolt Blues.

Hi everyone.
I'm having a problem with the last 2 body bolts and have no idea how to get them off. These are the last 2 behind the wheel wells. The bolt turns, but doesn't loosen. I'm thinking that whatever holds the nut still, broke free. The problem is: I can find no way to get to the nut to hold it from spinning when I loosen the bolt. I looked in the manual and still can't figure it out. Any help will be greatly appreciated !

I took a picture, but for some reason, can't download it from my phone.

Thanks,
Dom
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

I had the same problem. I used a torch and burned off the bolt head. I packed the area with a sopping wet towel and just left the area of the bolt head exposed. No damage to any fiberglass the towel was starting to catch fire but it wasn't too bad. It took less than a minute to do.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Caged nut

There is a caged nut inside the car. Pull back the carpeting and you will see the nut. The weld on the cage has either broken or rusted off. Soak the nut with Bead Blaster or Liquid Wrench and put a vice grip on the nut. Have a helper hold the vice grip while you back the bolt out. Mine were so rusted, that I ground the bolt heads off. Unless you are restoring an NCRS car, you don't need the cage to hold the nut. They were used to aid in the assembly process. Jerry
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
There is a caged nut inside the car. Pull back the carpeting and you will see the nut. The weld on the cage has either broken or rusted off. Soak the nut with Bead Blaster or Liquid Wrench and put a vice grip on the nut. Have a helper hold the vice grip while you back the bolt out. Mine were so rusted, that I ground the bolt heads off. Unless you are restoring an NCRS car, you don't need the cage to hold the nut. They were used to aid in the assembly process. Jerry
Thanks Jerry. When the bolt head spun, I figured there was a cage to hold the nut, but, when I looked under the carpet, I couldn't find anything. Of course, this was with the trunk closed and a headlamp on. lol I will look harder tonight. I was hoping is was that easy.
I tried feeling around the top and sides of the frame from underneath and couldn't find anyplace to get to it.

Thank you again !
Dom
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
I had the same problem. I used a torch and burned off the bolt head. I packed the area with a sopping wet towel and just left the area of the bolt head exposed. No damage to any fiberglass the towel was starting to catch fire but it wasn't too bad. It took less than a minute to do.
I like the torch idea. Much easier to get it from the bottom. If someone has a torch on Craigslist, it would help. lol
The wet rag idea is a good idea. (I'm being serious) And, I have 2 fire extinguishers in the garage.

Thank you.
Dom
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DomL64
I like the torch idea. Much easier to get it from the bottom. If someone has a torch on Craigslist, it would help. lol
The wet rag idea is a good idea. (I'm being serious) And, I have 2 fire extinguishers in the garage.

Thank you.
Dom
My two problem bolts were the two in front of the rear wheels in those two pockets with the covers. The key was the wet towels if it wasn't for those the car would have burned to the ground.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
My two problem bolts were the two in front of the rear wheels in those two pockets with the covers. The key was the wet towels if it wasn't for those the car would have burned to the ground.
I didn't have a problem with those. I guess because I soaked them a bunch of times with WD40 rust buster on both sides. They loosened easily. The ones in the back must have square nuts like one of the ones in the front, and the cage that holds them must have broken free.

Dom
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a sawsall with the 7 inch blade. It may flex enough to reach.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel. When the bolt was cut I simply jerked the cage out with some vice grips. I've been known to be a little hasty.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The cage nut is only there for convenience on the assembly line. There is no need to replace it. Just will need someone to hold the nut when you put the body back on the chassis. Cut the bolt and drive the remainder up and out of the cage.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 PM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by kidvette
I'm probably going to try sawzalling the head of the bolt off.
I removed the cage. (accidentally) The nut is in such a position that I was having trouble holding it with anything. Finally got an adjustable on it. I squirted the hell out of it, and the right side, with 3 different types of penetrating oil tonight. Have to wait till tomorrow night to try again. I still have to remove the left side cage. But, at least I know where they are now. lol

Thank you all for the help !
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 PM
DomL64
Pro

[QUOTE=DomL64;1587428681]Thanks Jerry.

I'm probably going to try sawzalling the head of the bolt off.
I removed the cage. (accidentally) The nut is in such a position that I was having trouble holding it with anything. Finally got an adjustable on it. I squirted the hell out of it, and the right side, with 3 different types of penetrating oil tonight. Have to wait till tomorrow night to try again. I still might have to remove the left side cage. But, at least I know where they are now. lol

Thank you all for the help !
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by wombvette
The cage nut is only there for convenience on the assembly line. There is no need to replace it. Just will need someone to hold the nut when you put the body back on the chassis. Cut the bolt and drive the remainder up and out of the cage.

After squirting the heck out of both sides with 3 types of penetrating oil, I will have to wait till tomorrow night to give it another try. Then…..
Off with it's head !
Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 PM
DomL64
Pro

The body is loose !
Thank you for all your advice. The left side body bolt came free with a lot of WD40 rust stuff.
Fortunately, I made a 3/8" thick aluminum piece to hold one of the other square bolts and it worked on the left side. The right side….. Sawzall. I turned, and turned the bold head but, the nut turned also. The vice grips couldn't get a great grip and kept falling off.
I'm glad I had a battery sawmill. Now, it's all loose. Except for the sped cable that I can't get off. That's next !

Thank you all again !
Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Speedometer cable removing tool...

http://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-a...nch-60529.html
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 AM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
Roger,
Thanks !
Unfortunately, it won't fit in the tunnel between the linkage. I can't even get my fingers in there. I'm almost resigned to removing the linkage to get to it. Almost.... lol
Thanks again !
Dom
Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM
DomL64
Pro

That did the trick ! Body is loose.
Thanks.
Dom
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DomL64
That did the trick ! Body is loose.
Thanks.
Dom
I am glad to help. Almost any vette problem you run into has probly been dealt with by someone on this forum. It is a wealth of information with great people.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 PM
DomL64
Pro

I am glad to help. Almost any vette problem you run into has probly been dealt with by someone on this forum. It is a wealth of information with great people.
I totally agree with you !
The people on here are VERY helpful !
Even with the books and Noland Adam's video, there's many little tricks.
Thanks again !

Get notified of new replies

To Body bolt Blues.

Quick Reply: Body bolt Blues.