C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ethanol, fuelies, and hot weather.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ethanol, fuelies, and hot weather.

I've been searching for threads/posts about fuelies and ethanol, and associated running problems in hot weather.

Are there any Texas and other southern states fuelie owners here that can share their issues or non issues with the running problems attributed to running 100 ethanol.

I've talked to a couple of shops (Texas) that tell me that some number of owners are putting the injector systems in a box, and installing carbs so that they can actually drive their cars.

Is the the norm in 90 or so days in states like Texas?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by FlyLS6
I've been searching for threads/posts about fuelies and ethanol, and associated running problems in hot weather.

Are there any Texas and other southern states fuelie owners here that can share their issues or non issues with the running problems attributed to running 100 ethanol.

I've talked to a couple of shops (Texas) that tell me that some number of owners are putting the injector systems in a box, and installing carbs so that they can actually drive their cars.

Is the the norm in 90 or so days in states like Texas?
perc was a problem for me in Florida... BUT, there are places that non-ethanol gas can be bought here (for a bit of a premium).

the perc problem usually is only a problem in stop & go traffic, not while driving at speed, and usually not a problem below 85ish ambient temp.

Bill

btw, perc is not as big a problem with 63-65 units as the fuel delivery system is somewhat different.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Related info: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-a-fuelie.html

rustylugnuts
Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have a 56 with a SB400 and a somewhat modified very early FI unit. Years ago, I was using the stock style open element 57 air cleaner, drawing in HOT air from the engine compartment/exhaust manifold. Finally, I installed a 57 Airbox and MOST of the heat related issues disappeared. Ethanol fuels caused a return of some of the problems. So, now, I TRY to locate stations that have 91octane NON-ethanol gas (and pay the premium price for it!!!!!). I have had to SLIGHTLY back off the timing.
With the hood closed, under idling or VERY SLOW moving, I still have some minor surging occuring. On the hiway, or fast paced traffic, there are no issues because rpm is up and plenty of air removes the heat around the FI unit.

Next, I have a '23 T-bucket with a totally open 327, alum heads and a 65 FI unit. ZERO issues because the heat is allowed to dissipate rapidly.

My recommendations, use only non-ethanol gas and remove the hood and throw it away---------(not).

Oh ya, there is NO WAY in God's green earth that I'm going to remove my FI units and put them in a box-----------------I just live with it, which really is not a common issue.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Don't you all know that, according to some of the long term member experts here on the Forum, ethanol doesn't cause any problems.......
Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Don't you all know that, according to some of the long term member experts here on the Forum, ethanol doesn't cause any problems.......
I think it's fair to say it can/does contribute to hot engine driving problems. I think it's also safe to say there are more chemical elements in gasoline besides ethanol that can contribute to the same probems if there are any. The percentage of concentrations of those elements should be investigated instead of just pointing to ethanol.

There may have been some testimony that using pump gas, 89 or 91-93 octane ELIMINATES ALL hot weather driving problems. if THERE has been testimony to that, I must have missed it.

MY FI cars get along just fine on 89 E 10. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

The most trouble free and best performance I ever get is when I buy 110 leaded race gas from our local distributor-------------------but DAMN, it's over $7/gal!!! But alas, the 56 loves it!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Sams65
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
The most trouble free and best performance I ever get is when I buy 110 leaded race gas from our local distributor-------------------but DAMN, it's over $7/gal!!! But alas, the 56 loves it!
I too run 110 leaded in a 65 fuel car. Yes, it's expensive but it's not a daily driver; just for fun on weekends. I have to pay close to $10/gal for the stuff. doesn't bother me at all. My biggest fear is that my source for the fuel dries up one day. I have absolutely no fuel related problems using this fuel over the last 4 years.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sams65
I too run 110 leaded in a 65 fuel car. Yes, it's expensive but it's not a daily driver; just for fun on weekends. I have to pay close to $10/gal for the stuff. doesn't bother me at all. My biggest fear is that my source for the fuel dries up one day. I have absolutely no fuel related problems using this fuel over the last 4 years.
DOT catches you guys running that aero plane gas and they'll put the hook on your car, impound it and turn the key on you. Then what are you going to do?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Somebody here tell me if running straight pump gas (no E 10) eliminates all driveablily problems. 87-93 octane.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeM
DOT catches you guys running that aero plane gas and they'll put the hook on your car, impound it and turn the key on you. Then what are you going to do?

Oh good grief, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what's your next negative comment?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Gooly, that's interesting- I buy 110 at the Speedway Gas in Clermont (just outside Indianapolis next to Lucas Oil Raceway Park), and it is in a pump right out the with the other car gas pumps. Nothing posted about no putting it your car, etc. Maybe the cops are using it too?

Marc in Indy
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Oh good grief, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And what's your next negative comment?
I don't care if you cheat the gov out of their gas taxes but somebody might. Come to think of it, they need to charge the Oakies more tax money to fix those two chuckholed interstates heading east out of Oklahoma City. Roughest interstates I've been on in awhile so go on and pay yer share.

Pull yer boxer shorts down a couple inches before you get some skid marks in them!

I want some testimony that straight pump gasoline doesn't have any driveability problems. You want to testify or just keep posting pictures?

Last edited by MikeM; 07-23-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care if you cheat the gov out of their gas taxes but somebody might. Come to think of it, they need to charge the Oakies more tax money to fix those two chuckholed interstates heading east out of Oklahoma City. Roughest interstates I've been on in awhile so go on and pay yer share.

Pull yer boxer shorts down a couple inches before you get some skid marks in them!

I want some testimony that straight pump gasoline doesn't have any driveability problems. You want to testify or just keep posting pictures?
Mike you would give grief to those who remove "do not remove" labels from throw pillows...... Come on Mike, chill out! The government has been screwing all of us for years. A little payback wouldn't hurt anyone.

rustylugnuts
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I alternate between 100LL Avgas and high test pump gas in my 65 uFI car in Texas and never have a problem. Sometimes its all 100LL and sometimes its high test pump gas if I'm out driving around a distance from home and need fuel, and I really don't notice much of a difference but then I don't drive it hard or race it, just the occasional romp thru the gears now and then. Out on the highway at 70+ MPH it just runs like it should, temp never over 190 degrees, always starts. Engine is a fresh rebuild with new water pump and radiator, cooling has never been an issue. I think if things are set up right, timing is right, and cooling system in good shape it should work okay during the summer.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I have 8 cars, ranging from a 56 Caddy to a 68 New Yorker and in between are a 62 Bonneville, 60 Buick, 63 Galaxie, 65 Corvette L78, 61 Plymouth Super stock and a 63 Impala. Each of these cars except for the Impala (327/250 with a 4GC) runs significantly better in cool weather. In hot weather the 2 Mopar big blocks refuse to idle well, the Ford hates a hot soak re-start and the Pontiac just plain runs like sh*t.

The Impala, which I've owned for 14 years, could care less. Starts with the twist of a key no matter what.

It is clear that fuel is the culprit, but it doesn't affect every car the same way nor should it given the variations on fuel line routing, carb types, engine condition and so on.

I too will occasionally pour a pale or two of race gas in the Super stock mostly for the smell but it sure runs better.

Dan
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
Mike you would give grief to those who remove "do not remove" labels from throw pillows...... Come on Mike, chill out! The government has been screwing all of us for years. A little payback wouldn't hurt anyone.

rustylugnuts
I see your panties are twisted too.

Now, someone answer my question about straight gasoline. It is a popular post here to give a web site that lists locations around the country that sells straight gas. If it doesn't help, why post it?

Last edited by MikeM; 07-23-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol, fuelies, and hot weather.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, I just finished wrapping my spider lines, fuel line from pump to FI filter & filter with racing style heat wrap. I had to remove the spider assy to do this. I also placed a heat wrap shield underneath the plenum to intake gasket (while using a full size gasket). I also used the left-over material to do 1 more layer between the spider lines and the intake. All the lines and vacuum stuff under there were used to support the extra layer. I made a quick test run today (temp around 90) and it did satisfactory. I found a station about 8 miles from where I live that sells straight gas where I will take it to fill up 1st chance I get to try that. BTW, I live in eastern NC, usually high humidity and temps upper 80 to mid 90s during summer weather. Mine is a 59- 290 HP with a 270 rear gear. Engine & fuel unit were just rebuilt and dyno'd 336 HP and 324 torque Not bad. Back in the 90s when the car was used regularly, I never had a problem with drivability with REAL GAS, now not sure how it will be. Just did the heat wrapping for extra insurance. Al
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my 57 250 HP FI car runs very well in hot weather (and cold) using Shell 93 with ethanol.
A few weeks ago I drove to Goodguys in Columbus Ohio, a 220 mile round trip.
85 t0 90 degrees temp, horrible stop and go traffic on the way home and no problems. To make it worse my car is a Powerglide.
My FI unit is a early 4360 with a single spider and the full 1/8" gasket.
No problems as usual.

I broke in the engine using the 100LL av gas and it ran fine.
I switched to Shell 93 with ethanol and it has run fine for 4000+ miles.

Last edited by ohiovet; 07-23-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Mike is talking about untaxed av gas, not leaded racing fuel...
Bill

Quick Reply: Ethanol, fuelies, and hot weather.