C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tires - advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Blueglass
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires - advise needed

My 65 C2 has Coddington 8 X 17 wheels This is a recent purchase and the tires have about 20% life left. My car is a driver but only on choice days. Ride quality not high performance is what I (my wife) is looking for. She loves the car but wouldn't mind a little less shock. We have owned two C1's in the past so she is not a newbe, just a couple of decades older.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

If your after 15`s I can make a suggestion. 16, 17, or whatever I cant.....215-65R-15`S with a 6 inch rim is what I found to be wide enough and lower than 70`s or 75`s....To me the taller tires make them look funny, especially from the rear.....

Find a picture of my 62 here on the forum
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,046 Likes on 677 Posts

Blueglass - Does your 65 have flared fenders? I suspect you don't have stock fenders otherwise you'd be hard pressed to put an 8" wide rim under them without raising the body up a bit with spring spacers.
My two midyear Coupes have stock wheel openings and both have KO's and for that sized rim (6-inch width), I run 215-65x15's on both.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Blueglass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ironcross
If your after 15`s I can make a suggestion. 16, 17, or whatever I cant.....215-65R-15`S with a 6 inch rim is what I found to be wide enough and lower than 70`s or 75`s....To me the taller tires make them look funny, especially from the rear.....

Find a picture of my 62 here on the forum
Thanks for the reply ! I'm not looking to change wheels. I'm looking for tires to go on my existing wheels 8X17. They fit fine, see My Corvette Photos. My car has suspension mods but no flares
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,046 Likes on 677 Posts

Blueglass - I stand corrected, those 8" rims seem to fit your stock looking fenders. Is your 65 lifted at all or are you using offset trailing arms?
Mike T
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Blueglass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Blueglass - Does your 65 have flared fenders? I suspect you don't have stock fenders otherwise you'd be hard pressed to put an 8" wide rim under them without raising the body up a bit with spring spacers.
My two midyear Coupes have stock wheel openings and both have KO's and for that sized rim (6-inch width), I run 215-65x15's on both.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Mike, I'm looking for a quality tire for my existing wheels, Coddington 17's.
The tires on my car now fit fine but are really rough riding. They are getting close to replacement so comfort not really high performance is what I'm looking for. The wheels on my car now, I think look good. I want to change tires only. The suspension has been modified, composite rear spring etc but the body is stock, no flares.

Thanks for your reply. PS - If you remember, you gave me advise regarding the breather system on my 502. I put two BS breathers on the left cover.. The PVC is on the right. All good ! Thanks again !
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Blueglass
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Blueglass - I stand corrected, those 8" rims seem to fit your stock looking fenders. Is your 65 lifted at all or are you using offset trailing arms?
Mike T
Mike, I wish that I could answer your question. I recently bought the car from a gentleman that owned it for three years. He bought it with the suspension as it is. He put about 1000 miles on it and kept it more for his collection than for use. He couldn't answer my questions but gave me the build book on the car. It's about a thousand pages. It has every nut, bolt and part on the car. I haven' had an opportunity to review it. Business travel has me crazy. I haven't registered it and drove it about 15 minutes since it came home. That picture will change next week.
Thanks again
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

8 inch wheel can work. Usually you need to relocated the e-brake bracket on the trailing arm and an 8 inch wheel with 4 inch backspace will be great. In the front, you can also use this same wheel, but you may have frame rail rub at full lock. I have 16x8 with 245/45/16 tires and have no body rub issues but do "polish" the frame at full lock in turns. The biggest issue is that these tires are short. Only 24 and a half inches tall. Stock tires are about 27" tall.

The only way to get a better ride is likely to get a taller profile tire, and I doubt that will fit. What is the current size and model tire you have now? We can possibly advise a different brand or model that is quieter.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Blueglass
Advanced

Originally Posted by bcwaller
8 inch wheel can work. Usually you need to relocated the e-brake bracket on the trailing arm and an 8 inch wheel with 4 inch backspace will be great. In the front, you can also use this same wheel, but you may have frame rail rub at full lock. I have 16x8 with 245/45/16 tires and have no body rub issues but do "polish" the frame at full lock in turns. The biggest issue is that these tires are short. Only 24 and a half inches tall. Stock tires are about 27" tall.

The only way to get a better ride is likely to get a taller profile tire, and I doubt that will fit. What is the current size and model tire you have now? We can possibly advise a different brand or model that is quieter.
Hi, the 8 X 17 have been on the car since it was restored. I won't be home until Saturday evening and will confirm the tire size then. The tires on there now don't rub, look good but ride hard.
Thanks for the reply ! I'll post on Sunday

Get notified of new replies

To Tires - advise needed

Quick Reply: Tires - advise needed