C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-2 road trip in september!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM
STING67RAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would really love to go,but as someone said, i'm also scheduled for woodward dream cruise. Carlisle and corvette caravan to museum. That other thing keeps getting in the way. yep,stupid job
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick71
If your travels take you near Sevierville, Tenn., this museum is definitely worth a detour.

http://musclecarmuseum.com/
I have heard about this place for years.

We have a light schedule on the way to our Day 1 rendezvous , which is only 20 miles away. Definite possibility.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mick!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Sending you a PM, I might be able to drive up from Chattanooga for a few days...maybe!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Hey Gerry, I sure wish I was going to be there and we could flip for who gets the lead!

Anyone out there thinking about traveling with a group of great people and cool mid years here is your chance, even if you only join in for a few days. This is the first trip my wife and I have missed with these guys. Can't wait till next year.

Jeff
Jeff, you and Penny had better be careful out there 4-wheeling in the Rockies. If you fall off a mountain, there won't be a next year and that would suck for all of us!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Doug, you know Penny always looking foe something a little more challenging, as if the Moab Rim wasn't exciting enough! I married a wild woman.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you or did you not brake her ankle on your first date? Jerry
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Hey jerry, she broke her own ankle pulling wheelies on my dirt bike. I then had the opportunity to meet her father for the first time in the emergency room. A little tense for a few minutes, but he and I turned out to be great friends.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

This morning (Sunday) two more couples have announced their intentions to join our C-2 caravan.

Jim & Judy Norgren, charter members of this group, have been with us on every trip since Route 66 back in April of 2008. Their car will be with us from start to finish in September.

Also, Dennis & Cindy Manire, owners of the Sting Ray Registry (www.63-67Corvette.com) will come up from Florida to meet us in Savannah for just that part of the trip. Dennis & Cindy organized and led our original 2 1/2 week Route 66 excursion in '08.

Whatever fun we have had driving around the country since then is due in large part to Dennis & Cindy bringing us all together.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 AM
TexVette66
Instructor

I vote for at least one" Sting Ray Registry U-turn " in honor of Cindy and Dennis!Jerry
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by TexVette66
I vote for at least one" Sting Ray Registry U-turn " in honor of Cindy and Dennis!Jerry
We always include a few Sting Ray Registry U-turns in our trips. It's tradition after all. This photo was taken right before one of our first U-turns at the Royal Gorge on our way to Tahoe.

Tahoe trip thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-new-name.html

It wasn't caused by a navigational blunder though. The road was closed on the other side of the bridge, so we had to turn around and go back.

Gerry
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Will the tour group be passing through Banner Elk for the Carolina's meet?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Will the tour group be passing through Banner Elk for the Carolina's meet?
On that particular day we are scheduled to tour the Biltmore Estate, then drive to Concord in the afternoon/evening.

If everyone has had a good look at the Biltmore early in the afternoon, we certainly could go through Banner Elk, although it would add at least 90 minutes to our drive.

What is there to see in Banner Elk?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
On that particular day we are scheduled to tour the Biltmore Estate, then drive to Concord in the afternoon/evening.

If everyone has had a good look at the Biltmore early in the afternoon, we certainly could go through Banner Elk, although it would add at least 90 minutes to our drive.

What is there to see in Banner Elk?
The Carolina's NCRS show
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Less than month away!

Our trip is less than a month away, and at least one of our "Road Warriors" is taking care of some loose ends. Here he is under the dash feverishly putting things together after fixing up his pedal assembly. CaveCreekChump and I were alternately providing supervision and cleaning out his fridge.

He was under the dash for quite a while, and I thought I heard snoring.

The fridge was successfully cleaned out though!

Gerry
Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Final head count for part or all of the two week trip is ten cars with nineteen people. (One wife has never joined us; she just doesn't like road trips.)

This in addition to any Forum members we meet up with along the way.

Twenty-two days until blast off!

Last edited by CaveCreekChump; 08-07-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Having trouble counting.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

Tach quit the other day, got all new dist. installed , timing set,tach works , set on go! Jerry
Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '14

Wow, the time is going by quickly. Only a week and a half before lift off.
I have procrastinated long enough, so I finally rebuilt the vent window regulator on the passenger side. I was hesitant to tackle that project so close to the beginning of the trip, because with my luck, I could see me breaking glass while taking the door apart.

Jim Norgren, however, epitomizes the Stereotypical Procrastination Man: He detected the slightest, minuscule extra effort to shift into third gear. He also noticed a little extra noise coming from the rear end. I would have just used a little extra triceps getting into third and a splash of heavier gear oil for the rear end, but NOOOOoooo, that is completely unacceptable to Jim.
So he naturally waited till now to rebuild. Why rush into anything?
He is probably in his garage right now thrashing away as I type..

I think I'm ready. Just need to do an oil change, but I'll wait 'till later.

Gerry

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 road trip in september!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 PM
TexVette66
Instructor

I took the old 66 in and got it greased at a quick lube place today, he did it free as he does the 1ton full service all the time, and took tip from silvershashstreak and had the door glass and rear window tinted. As soon as I get her waxed we will be ready to go! Jerry
Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Originally Posted by TexVette66
I took the old 66 in and got it greased at a quick lube place today, he did it free as he does the 1ton full service all the time, and took tip from silvershashstreak and had the door glass and rear window tinted. As soon as I get her waxed we will be ready to go! Jerry
Go easy on that wax Jerry, you sure don't want to mess up the patina on your original paint.

You guys have a great time and we will catch ya next trip.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

We are heading down to Dixie, right?

While I was out and about today (went to the Geneva, IL Concours d'Elegance) I flipped on the AC and felt the refreshing rush of cool, dry conditioned air from the vents. At 87 degrees and 99% humidity outside, it felt just fine.

Later I measured that air temp at 68 degrees. Uh-oh!

Upon arriving home, I noticed that the temp gauge was climbing abnormally high and discovered that one of the electric fans was not running. Poking around a little revealed that the plastic loom around some of the wiring is melted and looks pretty funky. I think that might be the trouble spot, but am waiting for it to cool down before investigating further.

It sure is better to find a problem at home than to make an unpleasant discovery miles from one's own garage and tools!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C-2 road trip in september!