C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Possible Vapor-Lock on '64 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM
kgronquist@cox.net
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Vapor-Lock on '64 (?)

I acquired an excellent '64 Sting Ray two years ago but I have one persistent, significant problem. I am not a mechanic, so I have to rely on the knowledge and expertise of others. I live in Las Vegas so it gets pretty toasty here Jun/Jul through Aug/Sep. Here's the problem and it usually only occurs when the ambient temperatures are around 90 or above: I can start the car from a cold start always without fail. Then I go out for a cruise long enough (usually 20-30 miles) to get the operating temperatures up to peak. The car runs great without a hiccup, and when I pull it back into the garage my IR gun tells me the thermostat housing is usually no higher than my 180 degree thermostat. Here's where the problem starts: When I attempt to restart the car a few minutes after shut-down (sometimes as long as 45 minutes to an hour later) it always starts, but then after driving 50 yards or so it just craps out on me. When looking into the carb there's usually either a very weak fuel flow when I pump the throttle, or non at all. Then I pop the hood to get things cooled down, and then after 30 or 45 minutes I can get it started again and then go on my merry way. I got stranded away from home a couple times but have since learned a lesson until I get this matter resolved...don't stop/shut down anywhere except my garage during the warmer weather unless I've got plenty of time to cool down. This same scenario occurs virtually every time during the warmer weather. Several people, independent of each other, have said it seems like a vapor lock problem...since I can start a hot car after shutting down, but then after the fuel that was in the carb when I shut down gets used up (after 50 yards), there's only vapor behind it. I've read all kinds of things about vapor lock in the forums, from wooden clothes pins to electric fuel pumps, and several things in between. Right now I'm willing to do whatever it takes to cure the problem, and I'd rather take a chance and go straight to the most sure-fire fix than to mess around trying all the other stuff in between. What is the most promising fix if it is vapor lock? Is it an electric fuel pump? Has anyone else had this exact problem I've described? Given the details of my problem, is there any possible explanation other then vapor lock.

11/10/14

Have ruled out vapor lock: Saturday, ambient temperature was less than 70 degrees. Drove the car 30 minutes at 65 mph. Engine overhearing has never been a problem. I shut the car down for an hour and then restarted it without a problem, as always. Then, as almost always, after idling it for a minute or so, it just crapped out on me. I let it sit for another 30 minutes, started it up normally, let it run a minute or two to ensure it wasn't going to stop running again, and then drove back home without incident. I repeated the same scenarios in my garage and had the same result. This is often the scenario: After getting the engine up to operating temp and then shutting down for a while, I can always start it back up normally but then it quits until I let it sit a little while longer, then it starts up and runs normally without shutting down after this second start-up. I checked the carb and fuel would come out the nozzles. Besides vapor lock, what else could possibly cause this persistent problem?

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kgronquist@cox.net; 11-11-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Ruled out vapor lock
Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Look at the gas line is it all medal tubing ,does it change over to rubber after the filter.
My gas used to boil on my 67 .had to insulate gas line from getting hot on top of intake.
Look there first.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

My 64 with carter carb does virtually the same thing when it's above 90* outside. When I restart after a brief period of sitting, I am really light on the throttle in first gear. When I feel it starting to stumble, I "feather" the throttle until it settles out. Then I can run normally.

Sometimes, I stay parked and run the rpm's up a bit until I get gas back into the carb.

I'm so used to it, its just normal for me. Just the nature of today's gas and an old car.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Vapor-Lock on '64 (?)

Quick Reply: Possible Vapor-Lock on '64 (?)