C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is the correct way to test a generator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM
P.B.S.
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the correct way to test a generator?

On my 1960 with a generator I can jump start and and the car starts fine. The gauge sits at 0 so I put a multi tester with the leads on the battery terminals and it reads 11.98 volts with the car running. This is also the same voltage as before trying to start. It seems to me it should an increase if it was charging. I have replaced the voltage regulator and harness to generator. What's next?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Put a multi meter to the Bat terminal of the Genny with the engine running. Use the "DC" setting. Voltage should read above 13 Volts if Genny is producing current. Also, Google and You Tube are very helpful when lost in the Woods. Al W.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Generators don't charge much if at all at idle. Raise the engine rpm to 2000 and check voltage at the battery.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Is the AC produced by the generator rectified in the generator or at the regulator? It's been a long time since I've worked with a generator and I don't recall if the output at the generator is measured in DC or AC.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,524 Likes on 3,002 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by P.B.S.
On my 1960 with a generator I can jump start and and the car starts fine. The gauge sits at 0 so I put a multi tester with the leads on the battery terminals and it reads 11.98 volts with the car running. This is also the same voltage as before trying to start. It seems to me it should an increase if it was charging. I have replaced the voltage regulator and harness to generator. What's next?
Start the engine and run it at 1500 - 2000 RPM.

With the Voltmeter connected to the generator Armature terminal and ground, use a test lead to momentarily ground the Field terminal. If the generator is working, the Voltage will jump up by a LOT..... 17 Volts or more would not be unusual.

The converse is also true. If nothing or very little happens, the generator is defective.

Jim
Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Generators don't charge much if at all at idle. Raise the engine rpm to 2000 and check voltage at the battery.
True. This is a major reason these were replaced in favor of alternators.

Check battery voltage terminal to terminal while the car is shut down, then recheck the same voltage with the car running at idle. Then, while watching the voltmeter, have someone slowly rev your engine to at least 2000 rpm and watch if voltage then increases above the battery's "at rest" voltage. This is not the most revealing test, but it is the simplest and a good place to start.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,524 Likes on 3,002 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Is the AC produced by the generator rectified in the generator or at the regulator? It's been a long time since I've worked with a generator and I don't recall if the output at the generator is measured in DC or AC.
Generator output is DC because of the action of the commutator.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Generator output is DC because of the action of the commutator.
Jim's answer is right - in a generator the commutator takes the (many) sine waves created in the armature and pics off the current at close to peak voltage as a result of commutator action - where the brushes pick off the current generated from the commutator sections. The commutator is the "slip rings" on which the brushes ride, but is sectioned (longitudinal sections separated by insulators).

In an alternator, instead of a commutator true 'slip rings' are used which results in picking up AC power which is then rectified into DC by a diode bridge circuit.

Both have a DC output, but arrive at the AC to DC conversion differently.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the correct way to test a generator?

Quick Reply: What is the correct way to test a generator?