C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

bendpak lifts -- good/bad experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 552 Posts

Default bendpak lifts -- good/bad experience?

Thinking of going with a #9000, standard width, 4-post, 82" rise bendpak (only going with a 9000 and not a 7000 b/c apparently the 7000 similarly optioned is a bit more $$ -- I otherwise do not need the extra #2000).

Any comments, good or bad about them ?

Last edited by JMG2; 06-25-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by JMG2
Thinking of going with a #9000, standard width, 4-post, 82" rise bendpak (only going with a 9000 and not a 7000 b/c apparently the 7000 similarly optioned is a bit more $$ -- I otherwise do not need the extra #2000).

I've had one for 5+ yr's. All good experience. I also check the cables and adjusted the slack every month for the first year and check it every 2-3 months still.

They ship with 220v pumps as stock but have 110 v pumps if you ask (I didn't want to rewire the garage so I went 110v), just slower on the "up"

HD-9 Wide Version (they changed the numbering but it's 116"+ between the posts). Also have the rolling jack and use it quite a bit.

I have the ramps "fixed" with the locks so I can drive a car right underneath it without the sagging, or removing and storing the ramps.

Biggest issue I dealt with was the available height in the garage as there is the beam at 10' which was my limits.... but all is good....

FYI - I have a friend in Wa. who just had the 82" version installed and all he could get out of the height was 78" due to the air locks and he had to "re- jig" the lift to get more than 78"+ as he was parking an F-350 underneath it.

My vote - yes.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2

My first bendpak was a used 9W. Bendpak is truly the best. All the cables are hidden. Just this week I got a second 4 post, the Bendpak 7W. Even though the 7W is rated less it is the same lift as the 9W but with different hydraulics. On the 9 series the hydraulic cylinder pulls directly on the cables with 4 pulleys, one on each corner and one in the middle. On the 7 series the cylinder pulls on an additional pulley which somehow de-rates the lift as the hydraulic cylinder is shorter. But really, do you have a car that weighs over 7,000 lbs? Finding out the differences between the 9 and 7 series was difficult but I finally found them out via google.

One advantage of the 7 series is the steel ramps are light enough to handle and you don't really need to spend $300 on a set of aluminum ramps which I did for the first 9W. My lightly used 9W came with the extended length steel ramps which are VERY heavy.

Another advantage to the 7 series is you can get a wide and tall lift without getting an extra long lift. Can't do that with a 9 series. My woodies won't fit under the standard height lift.

Garage Equipment Supply sold me the 7 series lift for the same price as the 9 series, $2,900. I lucked out on the 9 series lift lightly used for $2k.

BTW with a wide lift you can put the ramps narrow or wide. After trying it out a few times I moved the ramps from the narrow to wide slots. I did build my new garage extra big though, 27 feet wide for a 2 car width garage so I have room for the wide lift.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC

FYI - I have a friend in Wa. who just had the 82" version installed and all he could get out of the height was 78" due to the air locks and he had to "re- jig" the lift to get more than 78"+ as he was parking an F-350 underneath it.
7 series is 11 inches taller.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
climbabout
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 2 HD9ST for about 3 years and they perform flawlessly. I even assembled them myself. FYI - I am selling one of them as we are downsizing - there is a thread in the parts for sale section or you can PM me if you have any interest.
Tim
Old 06-25-2014, 06:59 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
But really, do you have a car that weighs over 7,000 lbs? Finding out the differences between the 9 and 7 series was difficult but I finally found them out via google.
The only reason I'm going with a 9 is that the quote the dealer gave me for the 9 was less than the 7 -- he said there was a supply issue with the 7s, making them more money. It's not a huge difference, just $100.

Get notified of new replies

To bendpak lifts -- good/bad experience?

Quick Reply: bendpak lifts -- good/bad experience?