C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Orig Fan Should I leave, installing electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Orig Fan Should I leave, installing electric

I am in the garage today installing my Dewitts radiator with electrict fan. One question should I leave the old fan. I am installing A/C this fall and will be Hiding most all components and painting compressor black. Will the oring fan serve any purpose even with electrict fan. I have already installed a Powermaster one wire alternator that looks like a gererator for amp control. Thanks as always for the help and suggestions.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if your electric fan is going to be thermostatically controlled, then i suggest you remove the engine driven fan; for a couple of ressons...

1. the 2 fans MIGHT fight each other
2. an engine driven fan uses HP

Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM
flyingb
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the good insight. HP is not a issue any more back when I grew up in So Calif it was important to me.. That was in the 60's
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by flyingb
Thanks for the good insight. HP is not a issue any more back when I grew up in So Calif it was important to me.. That was in the 60's
we're not talking BIG hp numbers; probably no more than 3 to 5hp, but they are free horses....

Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 03:24 PM
wraplock
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I run the mechanical fan in my 60, but I do have a hotrod 56 Belair and it is my experience that a puller fan mounted between the engine and the radiator, mounted with a shroud works better than a pusher fan mounted on the outside of the core between the radiator and the grill. I would not run a pusher electric fan and the mechanical fan. The electric pusher fan will only reduce air flow through the radiator core when not in use such as highway driving.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

depends what you are trying to accomplish. the 'pusher' fan i have is to cool the a/c condenser, not to cool the engine.

BUT, my experience is just the opposite of yours, with the pusher comes on to control a/c head pressure, my engine temp gauge drops. in my case, i don't think it impedes air flow.

at highway speeds it's not a factor.
Bill
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM
wraplock
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
depends what you are trying to accomplish. the 'pusher' fan i have is to cool the a/c condenser, not to cool the engine.

BUT, my experience is just the opposite of yours, with the pusher comes on to control a/c head pressure, my engine temp gauge drops. in my case, i don't think it impedes air flow.

at highway speeds it's not a factor.
Bill
While your experience and research differs from mine your observation contradicts every document I have read to date. I agree no fan is a major factor at highway speeds if your radiator size meets the cooling needs of your engine, air passing through your radiator core at highway speeds is sufficient to cool your engine. In fact most electric fans won't even go on at highway speeds. Electric fans are in wide spread use in the Hotrod world, pusher fans are mostly avoided. They are not optimum by virtue of their placement in front of the core. Do a little more research on the subject and I think you will find that the preferred location for optimum cooling is the puller fan mounted between the engine and the radiator. I know a few guys who use the plastic mounting straps through the radiator core to mount their fans. Some have had them mounted this way for years. I won't use them as I have been told by a few manufacturers it's not a question of if they will wear a hole in a coolant tube but rather when. Many of the larger manufacturers have told me they will not warrantee their core IF an electric fan is mounted in this manner. But again your results may vary, When spending $5-700 on a radiator I insist on the optimum results for my money

Don

Last edited by wraplock; 06-24-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wraplock
While your experience and research differs from mine your observation contradicts every document I have read to date. I agree no fan is a major factor at highway speeds if your radiator size meets the cooling needs of your engine, air passing through your radiator core at highway speeds is sufficient to cool your engine. In fact most electric fans won't even go on at highway speeds. Electric fans are in wide spread use in the Hotrod world, pusher fans are mostly avoided. They are not optimum by virtue of their placement in front of the core. Do a little more research on the subject and I think you will find that the preferred location for optimum cooling is the puller fan mounted between the engine and the radiator. I know a few guys who use the plastic mounting straps through the radiator core to mount their fans. Some have had them mounted this way for years. I won't use them as I have been told by a few manufacturers it's not a question of if they will wear a hole in a coolant tube but rather when. Many of the larger manufacturers have told me they will not warrantee their core IF an electric fan is mounted in this manner. But again your results may vary, When spending $5-700 on a radiator I insist on the optimum results for my money

Don
Don
i agree that the optimum fan is a puller; however, pullers do not provide optimum cooling for an a/c condenser, and that is the sole purpose of my 'pusher'. i am using a engine driven 7-blade fan for engine/radiator cooling purposes (i tried a Mark VII puller, but had controller and amperage problems...).

and we agree that 'straps through the core' to support the fan is a VERY bad idea...

where we 'disagree' is that pusher fans are bad because they restrict air flow through the radiator to the extent that it will not provide sufficient cooling when it is not running. if that is the case, then my pusher is blocking air flow... heck, a/c condensers alone will block more air flow than the fan components....
Bill
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
wraplock
Racer

Bill

That is a very nice clean installation!

Don
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

Default Fan

Bill: I have the same set up as you. I have a Dewitts rad. with a stock clutch and fan. I use a pusher fan in front of the condenser to make the A/C run more efficiently. I can't run my black/black coupe A/C on full blast because it's too cold. I live in Tampa and have a Vintage system. Jerry
Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Bill: I have the same set up as you. I have a Dewitts rad. with a stock clutch and fan. I use a pusher fan in front of the condenser to make the A/C run more efficiently. I can't run my black/black coupe A/C on full blast because it's too cold. I live in Tampa and have a Vintage system. Jerry
Jerry
i used Hot Rod Air because i didn't want to cut the passenger side kneebrace. it puts out 34degree air, but with the heat transfer and the greenhouse effect, it still gets kinda warm... much much better than nothing...

Frank has put Vintage Air in his 63 coupe and finds it also to be VERY 'cool'.... he decided not to put a fan on the condenser, so it will be interesting to see how it behaves when it really gets hot...
Bill
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was having an overheating problem on my '59, even after installing a Dewitt's radiator. So I removed the engine fan & shroud and installed an electric fan with shroud. It controls my low speed & idling temps but gets up to 200 deg. & higher on the highway. Don't know why, it may just run hot.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
I was having an overheating problem on my '59, even after installing a Dewitt's radiator. So I removed the engine fan & shroud and installed an electric fan with shroud. It controls my low speed & idling temps but gets up to 200 deg. & higher on the highway. Don't know why, it may just run hot.
if the elecric fan shroud does not have relief holes like the electric Dewitt to allow additional air to flow through at highway speeeds, then you may not have enough air flow to provide adequate cooling if the fan is not running...
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2014, 05:42 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

if the elecric fan shroud does not have relief holes like the electric Dewitt to allow additional air to flow through at highway speeeds, then you may not have enough air flow to provide adequate cooling if the fan is not running...
Bill
It is an electric Dewitt with relief holes each side of the fan and the fan is running.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
It is an electric Dewitt with relief holes each side of the fan and the fan is running.
i'm gonna toss this out for consideration...

in your case it might be a case of the shroud 'shrouding' too much going down the highway, thereby limiting the air flow in spite of the flappers. what makes me wonder is the fact it cools well at slow speeds and poorly on the road, and the fan should not be running at highway speeds.

a fan configuration something like this might work better as there is essentially no restriction at highway speed....
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i'm gonna toss this out for consideration...

in your case it might be a case of the shroud 'shrouding' too much going down the highway, thereby limiting the air flow in spite of the flappers. what makes me wonder is the fact it cools well at slow speeds and poorly on the road, and the fan should not be running at highway speeds.

a fan configuration something like this might work better as there is essentially no restriction at highway speed....
Bill
I used a little Dremel cutter to remove every other radial rib from the hand shield on one of those fans and it was a BIG increase in city AND highway cooling.

Last edited by magicv8; 06-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by magicv8
I used a little Dremel cutter to remove every other radial rib from the hand shield on one of those fans and it was a BIG increase in city AND highway cooling.
Really! I thought about removing the rubber flaps entirely and make the slots a little bigger. Also, per Bill's suggestion, think I'll cut the fan off at hwy speeds and see what that does.

Get notified of new replies

To Orig Fan Should I leave, installing electric

Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

this is supposedly the most 'powerful' OEM installed electric fan made... i adapted it to fit my 62 and i noticed that it thermostatically turned itself on while on the road (had an indicator light that showed when the fan was running...); something that didn't make much sense other than the engine was running 'hotter' than at lower speeds.

in thinking about this thread, in hindsight i THINK that the shroud was actually reducing the flow and therefore the fan had to run to pull down the temp to the controller setting. at low speeds and around town it was GREAT...
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

this is supposedly the most 'powerful' OEM installed electric fan made... i adapted it to fit my 62 and i noticed that it thermostatically turned itself on while on the road (had an indicator light that showed when the fan was running...); something that didn't make much sense other than the engine was running 'hotter' than at lower speeds.

in thinking about this thread, in hindsight i THINK that the shroud was actually reducing the flow and therefore the fan had to run to pull down the temp to the controller setting. at low speeds and around town it was GREAT...
Bill
Yes, that's exactly what mine is doing, cycles on & off by the thermo switch. Does great in town. Today I took it out on the highway doing 60mph, ambient temp 84 deg. First 10 miles, 195, 8 miles, 200, next 8, 205. Stopped there.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by magicv8
Not sure what you did. Are you talking about the plastic ribs in the fan cage?

Quick Reply: Orig Fan Should I leave, installing electric