C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Decisions On Buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

what is the asking price for the car, looks nice in the pics..good luck
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Well, it does several things, as it is one of the lighter fractions used in gasoline anyway:

- more volatility, for easier ignition
- octane booster, albeit only 1/2 points for 1 gal in 20.
- solvent/cleaner, it's one of the key components in Techron

It has worked for me many times. OTOH, others here on the Forum (think those who like to stimulate controversy here in the C1/C2 forum ) have offered the opinion that it's an unnecessary waste of money and may cause more problems than it fixes, primarily by loosening up old crud.

That hasn't been true for me.

I think you underestimate the octane of toluene. It is about 115. It is also not one of the more volatile components in gasoline with a boiling point of 231F. It is a great solvent and one of the major componenets of reformed naphtha(Techron or as Chevron used to call it, platformate)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
I think you underestimate the octane of toluene. It is about 115. It is also not one of the more volatile components in gasoline with a boiling point of 231F. It is a great solvent and one of the major componenets of reformed naphtha(Techron or as Chevron used to call it, platformate)
Thanks for the info. Not sure I understand your point on the octane, tho. I was trying to describe the octane boost effect of adding one gallon of Toluene in a 20 gallon (the size of the tank in my '67) total mix, starting with the 91 octane cr@p we have here in CA..

So, I get (1 x 115 + 19 x 91) / 20 = 92.2, or a 1.2 point boost.

Am I doing something wrong here?

PS - wasn't platformate Shell's name for their additive?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 06-20-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFORME
327/300 73K miles, everything exactly what I wanted! Getting it out of there Monday to drive.
Here she is:

1967 Elkhart Blue/Blue

Looks great, will improve 100% with gentle and thorough exterior and interior clean-up!

What size are those tires? Wouldn't matter to me, but the rears look a bit tight, has the inner fender lip been sanded narrower for clearance?

If you have a chance before shipment, drive it around the block and make sure the odometer works. I don't trust low numbers even if they do work on old cars. But maybe there are license or insurance forms confirming recent mileage?

And congrats, I think the hardtop convertible looks better than a raised soft top or coupe!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tires are a larger size than stock, not sure about wheels, no fender mods.

He bought it in 1974. I offererd 60K which I got off the base car price no options valuation for a 67 327/300 on Hagerty which was actually 59K. I did not know his asking price and told him when I offered 60K that my price was what I got quick from Hagerty and I would need to do more research to be fair. He then told me his price was $75K. His car is not listed for sale so I had no information to know what I was going to look at other than it was a restored blue 67 vert. He is basing his price from watching the Barret Jackson auction he said. I have not seen the white top yet or any documentation which will affect my price and the motor running, gauges and car operating on the street. Engine bay is very, very clean, exhaust manifolds are excellent and slightly oxidized, it has points ignition, looks stock correct. I have not looked at the frame or bonding strips. It was a frame off restoration supposedly. I will contact the restoration guy that did it.
I have a local C2 expert to bring in for the final round and maybe an NCRS judge if he is going to be here in the next month. He is not listing it so pressure s off to get deal done asap. Plus I am building a new room to put it in and he said he would wait for me to get it done. It was very nice well spent initial 4 hrs discussing the car. I have lived here almost 30 years and never saw it or heard about it.

I need to get focused and not get googly eyed by this little 67 VIXEN.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Not to muddy up the thread...
But sometimes is hard to avoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation especially if it has "everything you want". I would have thought that 60 was a pretty good price/offer... but you are doing the right thing by having an expert opinion come in and look at the car.

Until then, here are some others to compare....

Marina Blue Vert, with Pipes "matching" 327/300 for a $40K ask

1967 Corvette: Numbers Matching 327 hp, 3-Speed Manual (Rare), Side Exhausts, Walnut Steering Wheel, Nassau Blue, Dark Blue Interior. Beautiful Car: $40,000.00

Another "similar car", 67 Convert in Marina Blue with Side pipes for a 59K ASK

1967 Corvette Convertible - $59999 (Lowell, AR)

1967 Corvette Convertible, Marina Blue on bright blue leather. Original numbers matching block and transmission, 327/300hp numbers matching, casting number block, 3892657 dated I296, numbers on pad are 7103867 V1018HE. Engine his dressed out to look like a 350hp car and has a nice cam as well. Gauges look to have been refurbished recently. Starts right up and drives great. The car has HEI ignition. Black soft top, no hard top, 4-speed, side exhaust (added), redline bias ply tires(added), rare speed warning, am/fm radio. Believed to to original mileage of 66,9xx miles. Car has rare documentation : Original 1st edition owners manual, original am/fm radio instruction sheet, original Corvette order copy and original warranty booklet with protecto plate. Car has been repainted and I would say the paint is a 7 out of 10. It presents well, but there are several small dings and cracks and a small bubbling just in front of the windshield. There is a crack on the drivers door panel armrest, a crack in parking brake console. All glass except windshield looks original. Car has a black soft top that could stand to be replaced as back window is hazzy. Car was originally equipped with a white top. Tires are near new. Undercarriage looks to have been heavily undercoated by the dealer originally, minor scale on frame. Sold new in Virginia. No rust holes in frame, looks like undercoat has protected it. The cars birdcage has no rust, great shape. Car runs and drives great, shifts great and everything works. No power steering or brakes. Looks like rear brake calipers and lines have recently been replaced. A fiberglass monoleaf rear spring has been added. Expansion tank is part number 3155416 dated 66k, Holley Carb 4777-2, 2092, Intake manifold 3972116, bellhousing 403, Transmission 7S103867 on drivers side, P7S04 on passenger side with correct 010 main case. I can't rear numbers on rear end, but paperwork says 3:36 posi and it drives like one. Very presentable 67 Corvette with numbers matching engine and trans and great documentation. Outer heater box has a crack in it. See pics, ask questions. We are a full scale Corvette repair, service and restoration shop. Any options or work could be done here at the shop for additional charges. Clear title in hand, car is located in Lowell, AR. Sold as is

and a red/black one for a 58K ask....
SUPER NICE!! 1967 CORVETTE L-79 ORIGINAL MATCHING NUMBERS! AWESOME CA - $58500 (Gold Canyon)

For 60s Money, here is a supposedly matching 427/390

1967 Corvette Convertible 427 4sp - $69500 (louisville)

I have decided to sell my 1967 Corvette Convertible, 427/390HP, 4sp. This is a very nice driver car, all the numbers match and I have the original tank and tank sticker. Professionally done New Yellow paint, black interior, New black top. This is a once in a life time car. Frame on restoration.

No affiliation to the above linked cars....
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

ZFORME - For a base motor 67, $75K or even your offer of $60K sure seems to be on the high side. 67's do bring good money but once you crest that $60K mark, I would expect to see some options like higher horse engine or A/C - PW, etc. One other thing, maybe it's the angle they took the pics from but you mention a soft top and I don't see the soft top latches showing on the rear deck.
Mike T.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
ZFORME - For a base motor 67, $75K or even your offer of $60K sure seems to be on the high side. 67's do bring good money but once you crest that $60K mark, I would expect to see some options like higher horse engine or A/C - PW, etc. One other thing, maybe it's the angle they took the pics from but you mention a soft top and I don't see the soft top latches showing on the rear deck.
Mike T.
Agreed, also revfan posted some good comparisons. ALWAYS hard to make a market deal on an average car when the owner is using BJ auction as his inspiration. The tires make me think this is not the restoration type the car should have to bring $60k+. Just my .02. It is a nice car. I agree with Greg once I am over 60k I begin to look for a driver BB car, even better a '65/66.

It looks like this is THE first c2 you have considered. Lots of experienced voices have said you should make yourself look at at least a few before pulling the trigger. I tend to agree.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The picture of the instrument cluster shows a car that was NOT restored to a very high standard or with attention to detail. That right there tells me the car is way overpriced. The fact that the seller quoted BJ confirms it.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 PM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the information and this has helped me. I was planning to go to Carlisle to see some. I also have a 66 BB triple black 427 early 450 hp vert with every available option driver quality with the matching numbers to consider. I didn't want to have to paint though.
From 3 Corvette people I have spoken with over a number of years that have driven every midyear Vette combo they each said that the 327/300 motor was the ticket. I had it in a 68 Camaro RS and I liked it very much for general driving.

They said it has a white soft top that is all I know.

Last edited by ZFORME; 06-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFORME
I appreciate the information and this has helped me. I was planning to go to Carlisle to see some. I also have a 66 BB triple black 427 early 450 hp vert with every available option driver quality with the matching numbers to consider. I didn't want to have to paint though.
From 3 Corvette people I have spoken with over a number of years that have driven every midyear Vette combo they each said that the 327/300 motor was the ticket. I had it in a 68 Camaro RS and I liked it very much for general driving.

They said it has a white soft top that is all I know.
I'm glad you seem willing to cool off and consider your many options! Barrett Jackson pricing in people's minds with run of the mill drivers is deadly
Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

PS - wasn't platformate Shell's name for their additive?
I ran a Shell station for two years when I was in college in the very early 60's, and Shell's additive marketing name was "TCP"; chemically, it was Tri-Cresyl Phosphate, but we called it "Tomcat Pi$$".
Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Mike T.
I agree 60k is too much for a fairly base car with an old and marginal restoration.

Last edited by 65 fi; 06-21-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 AM
jchez7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, definitely Elkhart; what a beautiful color.

I bought a C2 that could be too nice to drive but I decided to drive it like it was 1967 - the one real exception being no snow/salt.

Just keep it up and enjoy it, unless that hypothetical $5-10K difference in selling price in 5-10 years means so much that it's worth not Using the car.

There are a lot of C2's out there for less than $60K; doesn't mean they're as nice though. Nice ones are going to continue inching up in value, though admittedly the $75K the seller wants is extremely optimisitic for a nice but not exceptional car

Agree that a C2 and C7 are so different, and offer different experiences. I'd love to have a C7 too; can drive it a lot more, it's faster, safer, more reliable, economical, etc but am not ready to give up my '67 for one. Totally different animals but the new one just doesn't make you feel like the old one does.

Good luck - you're in a no-lose situation
Old 06-25-2014, 11:02 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Agree - could have bought a new one and had a couple of opp's for C3's that I should've/could've. I had always wanted a C2. I waited and pulled the trigger on my 67 L79 almost 10 years ago now and I can say that I am still VERY happy every time I drive it.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Mine makes me smile and adjusts my attitude EVERY time - worth every penny! Requires more patience though as there is always something that needs attention, but that never goes away with old cars of any type.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats up with that speedometer needle? Looks like a clock needle painted red.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 PM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice find! Enjoy it!

BTW - are you sure that's Elkhart Blue? The pics look very much like '67 Marina Blue, which of course we all know is the best color.....

Marina is an even brighter blue than this, but yea. Doesn't look Elkhart either. Almost looks like the silver/blue of a 63
Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 396/425
Marina is an even brighter blue than this, but yea. Doesn't look Elkhart either. Almost looks like the silver/blue of a 63
Looks more like trophy blue to me

Quick Reply: C2 Decisions On Buying