C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 Corvette - E Brake Switch (alternative?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 58 Corvette - E Brake Switch (alternative?)

Seems I am missing the switch required on the E Brake rod the sets of the E brake light on the dash. This is certainly an almost impossible switch to find. Has anyone ever figured out an alternative to this switch that accomplishes the same result? I am not concerned about keeping it NCRS,,,,more interested in have the brake light on when the E Brake is engaged.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 PM
lqpappy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can find the original switches listed on ebay occasionally. I found a nos a few months ago still in box with papers. Pricey but works well, I used the bulb that flashes instead of a flasher.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 AM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Bomba - I used a micro switch commonly found at electronics store with the flashing 257 bulb. Works great!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

How did you mount the microswitch?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are some threads on here about the micro-switch setup with pictures IIRC and I think I recall somebody using a C2 switch somehow. I had three of the C1 switches at one time and just sold one to a pal 'rich5962' for a judged car. I'm keeping the second one for a spare. IIRC they were optional in '58 (standard in '61) so its not a killer if you can't get it going (if I'm correct).

They are hard as all heck to find and working versions are going from $175-$275...

IIRC correctly '61/'62 used a flashing bulb for the dash warning display (available in repro); prior to that I think they had a separate external flasher...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-17-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettepoor
Bomba - I used a micro switch commonly found at electronics store with the flashing 257 bulb. Works great!
Can I ask how you had it mounted? Possibly show some pics? I am very interested!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Yes the '61/'62 used a flasher bulb, but the actual switch is the same from 58-62. Those used a separate Tunsol Flasher unit, which was mounted to the hinge pillar cross bracing using a special little bracket. Some pics of my original '59 below. The flasher can actually be repaired if not damaged. Typically, the contacts get dirty and a little cleaning with some fine sandpaper fixes 'em up. Did that on my car about 5 years ago and it's still works fine today.

The earlier cars had a different switch but the same flasher. The really early 6v cars used a different flasher rated for 6 volts on the 6 cylinder cars.

Now for the switch.......I have been told by a reliable source that there is a impending reproduction that will be available. Allegedly it's being repro'd by a company in CA that used to be in MD.

I have no idea what the cost or availability witll be, but stay tuned.

Rich
Attached Images       
Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

If you find a original switch and it's not working, I've repaired a few before if the mechanism isn't totally broken. They can come apart to clean contacts etc. BTW fellow member 3310vette (Joe M) has a nice process too.

Last year at Carlisle a father & son from the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico asked me about one I had for sale on the bench. They had their '59 flasher switch with them and asked how to repair it. The brass tab was worn out and had a hole in it. I told them how to fix it by silver soldering a "filler" piece to the worn area and readjusting the tab.

They handed it back to me and kindly asked me to repair theirs for them when I got home. I felt a little uneasy that they were giving a total stranger a rare and valuable part to take.

So when I got home I took it apart, fixed it, got Paypal'd from the son, and shipped it back to them. They were happy.

Rich
Attached Images     

Last edited by rich5962; 06-22-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 PM
jamesofria
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does e-brake switch dis-assemble?

rich - great photos. I will use your silver solder trick but how does the switch come apart?

Originally Posted by rich5962
If you find a original switch and it's not working, I've repaired a few before if the mechanism isn't totally broken. They can come apart to clean contacts etc. BTW fellow member 3310vette (Joe M) has a nice process too.

Last year at Carlisle a father & son from the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico asked me about one I had for sale on the bench. They had their '59 flasher switch with them and asked how to repair it. The brass tab was worn out and had a hole in it. I told them how to fix it by silver soldering a "filler" piece to the worn area and readjusting the tab.

They handed it back to me and kindly asked me to repair theirs for them when I got home. I felt a little uneasy that they were giving a total stranger a rare and valuable part to take.

So when I got home I took it apart, fixed it, got Paypal'd from the son, and shipped it back to them. They were happy.

Rich
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

For those who are members of NCRS there is a related article in the latest issue of Corvette Restorer.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jamesofria
rich - great photos. I will use your silver solder trick but how does the switch come apart?
You can open the switch to get at the contacts. There are tabs on the end that can be bent back to open it. Sometimes a simple cleaning of the internal contacts will be in order.

You cannot easily remove the flange as it is a swedged rivet assembly. The silver solder repairs I usually make are only to the flat springplate portion. That's where most wear occurs.

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To 58 Corvette - E Brake Switch (alternative?)

Quick Reply: 58 Corvette - E Brake Switch (alternative?)