C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I can't believe this happened...AGAIN! '61 FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'm not persuaded that what you've found so far explains the rocker arm and push rod issues you've been having. I think there are still secrets to be learned and the possibility of valve spring coil bind would be high on my list.

Jim
Old 06-10-2014, 04:07 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

The last thing in Powershift's first message is where to start - I think you're pulling rocker arm studs and compounding the felony with mis-matched-whatever-you've-got for lifters. Check the stud heights, get them to where they are supposed to be, PIN THEM and then start to reclaim the system.
Pin the studs for the same reason you tap the crankshaft for a bolt - 50 year old metal no longer takes well to press fits.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:02 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
The last thing in Powershift's first message is where to start - I think you're pulling rocker arm studs and compounding the felony with mis-matched-whatever-you've-got for lifters. Check the stud heights, get them to where they are supposed to be, PIN THEM and then start to reclaim the system.
Pin the studs for the same reason you tap the crankshaft for a bolt - 50 year old metal no longer takes well to press fits.
He already stated that he had screw-in studs (post #19).
Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
So the engine is out! Turns out #8 had a stuck lifter and it was completely domed on the bottom, so I'm sure the cam is shot. As I took things apart on the engine, I noticed the passenger side manifold was cracked (same side as all my engine issues). I was told this might mean I have a burnt valve. We took the heads off and the valves and cylinders look good. The comment from my automotive engineer friend was that it looks like the engine was recently rebuilt and looked good. I have the "double hump heads" and screw in rocker arm posts.

We will pull the cam tonight and see what we find. Looks like a top end only rebuild

I'm hoping the stuck lifter caused the cam to go bad and that is the cause of all my issues. Now to find out why the lifter got stuck....

All those nasty little pieces of metal went into pan and got sucked up by pump and distributed into fun places like bearings and lifters. Take it apart and be careful to use OEM spring Specs . Engine builders like to use big springs to get more revs. It tears up rockers just like you pictured.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM
leaky4150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

debris floating around engine / total tear down required lot's of knowledgeable people here on forum for proper rebuild
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

So the engine was taken to an engine shop today. When we pulled the heads, we learned that no valves were burnt (I had nice sodium filled valves), my block had been bored 30 over, pistons looked good, cam was shot, and crank looked OK but likely needs polishing (standard bearings).

I definitely passed metal through the engine. I am having an experienced shop go through it, clean it completely, and reassemble with the parts needed. I am also adding Selenium seals in the heads as it was recommended to me if I want to run pump gas without a lead additive.

I'll upload pictures in 2 weeks when it's done. She's in the hands of the professionals now.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Good decision! Also, I had to do the flat bed tow of shame so I feel for you. I just now got it running and I feel better but still cautiously optimistic.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Utahcarguy
So the engine was taken to an engine shop today. When we pulled the heads, we learned that no valves were burnt (I had nice sodium filled valves), my block had been bored 30 over, pistons looked good, cam was shot, and crank looked OK but likely needs polishing (standard bearings).

I definitely passed metal through the engine. I am having an experienced shop go through it, clean it completely, and reassemble with the parts needed. I am also adding Selenium seals in the heads as it was recommended to me if I want to run pump gas without a lead additive.

I'll upload pictures in 2 weeks when it's done. She's in the hands of the professionals now.
Don't think the special valve seats are needed, but they won't hurt as long as they don't crack the head during install. Make certain you know what the cam specs (lift) are and that the springs are compatible with the cam and are installed correctly so they don't coil bind up on you. As mentioned earlier, the GM stocks springs work just fine for many cams….and for all the GM cams.

Larry
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It is hard to tell from the picture, but when I zoom in closely it APPEARS the rocker nuts on #2 & #8 (save for the broken stud) are turned down on the studs much further than #4 & #6. Are you sure the lash was set properly? I haven't had a small block for a long time, but on a 427 set up with good stock parts there would not be that many threads of the stud exposed with a mechanical cam set at proper lash.

It may be just a product of the camera angle, but may be worth looking at closer. Just "looks" wrong to me, but I am not a small block expert.

Last edited by SupremeDeluxe; 06-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Utahcarguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
It is hard to tell from the picture, but when I zoom in closely it APPEARS the rocker nuts on #2 & #8 (save for the broken stud) are turned down on the studs much further than #4 & #6. Are you sure the lash was set properly? I haven't had a small block for a long time, but on a 427 set up with good stock parts there would not be that many threads of the stud exposed with a mechanical cam set at proper lash.

It may be just a product of the camera angle, but may be worth looking at closer. Just "looks" wrong to me, but I am not a small block expert.
Thanks for looking closely. The threads were all about the same sticking out. The lash, as it turns out, was not set properly because I thought I had solid lifters when they were, in fact, hydraulic lifters. No lash necessary.

I plan on listening to what the old timers tell me at the rebuild shop. I want a little bit of a lob/lope at idle. I'm having them test the springs and make sure they will work with whatever cam they recommend. I will mention that a major concern of mine is coil bind.

Quick Reply: I can't believe this happened...AGAIN! '61 FI