C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 fuel tank review

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 64 fuel tank review

I was on my way to pick up the frame from the sandblaster tonight but it started pouring rain again so I put it off until it clears up. In the meantime I figured I would take a look at my fuel tank. Took it off the frame with everything else and it appears to be removed for the first time, but that's one thing I would like to determine with this post.

I dropped a light bulb down so I could get some good pics. It all looks original to me, but the tank is in pretty good condition!

My plan is to use evaporust on the exterior and put it right back in place once the frame is ready. Rather than soak it in evaporust, requiring several gallons and a bathtub, I am going to try to hook it up to a small pond pump and recycle the evaporust solution over the tank like a small fountain. I will follow up with some pics of that contraption if I can get it together.

Last edited by gccch; 05-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For less then 200 bucks you can have a band new tank with no worries My two cents
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
For less then 200 bucks you can have a band new tank with no worries My two cents

And while your at it, replace or have the sending unit rebuilt/calibrated...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Aw, man, you guys are killing me. For a whole lot of trouble I can keep my original tank, right?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Probably not the news you wanted to hear but those rusted areas inside your tank will only return once cleaned 'because' there no longer is any protective coating on it. The whole tank was originally plated with 'ni-terne' (don't ask me what compounds it's made of, JohnZ and others have that info) but suffice to say that once that protective coating is gone, it's just a natural occurrence for iron/steel products to decay/rust. Clean it now and it will look great for a while but it will return. A new tank is the best way to deal with this.
Mike T.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default calibrate sending unit

Originally Posted by 66jack

And while your at it, replace or have the sending unit rebuilt/calibrated...
I have a new tank..and seems sending unit it's not reading correct ( NEW sending unit also).....I have the tank out now and now would be the time to get it calibrated...WHO does the calibration?

Last edited by bluzrocker; 05-22-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

If you're good with your funds/budget, buy a new tank. If not, eat tuna fish for a few nights, instead of going out to dinner and buy a new tank...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
I have a new tank..and seems sending unit it's not reading correct ( NEW sending unit also).....I have the tank out now and now would be the time to get it calibrated...WHO does the calibration?
Look up Wolf Brothers in Ohio. They restore originals. There service is not so cheap. But the products looks great
Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Look up Wolf Brothers in Ohio. They restore originals. There service is not so cheap. But the products looks great

http://johnwolfco.com/default.asp?active_page_id=1
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Workin On 59
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are determined to keep your original tank you may want to try the POR gas tank cleaning and sealing kit. I have had very good results with that product. I have used it on 3 tanks: 38 Chev coupe, 68 Chev pickup, and 65 Corvette. If the instructions are followed a very durable finish will result and your tank will not rust again. The last kit I bought a little over one year ago was $75-80.

It takes some work but you can keep your original tank, IMO.

Doug
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
Tommy - what exactly is it doing, indicating only half way when the tank is full or ??? I believe the test on them is to hook up an ohm meter and see if it shows 0-90-0 when you move the float arm. If you have the sending unit out, you could hook it up and manually move the float arm and have someone tell you what the reading is. I thought there was another similar thread about sending units, not sure what their fix wound up being.
Mike T.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default sending unit

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Tommy - what exactly is it doing, indicating only half way when the tank is full or ??? I believe the test on them is to hook up an ohm meter and see if it shows 0-90-0 when you move the float arm. If you have the sending unit out, you could hook it up and manually move the float arm and have someone tell you what the reading is. I thought there was another similar thread about sending units, not sure what their fix wound up being.
Mike T.
tank out...car at shop getting engine installed ....so I don't have car @ home...but it a new tank and sending unit... doesn't read full when full...reads about 1/2 er so...

Get notified of new replies

To 64 fuel tank review

Quick Reply: 64 fuel tank review