C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 Convertible RestoMod

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:16 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Now all you need is a little ducktail?
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2018, 01:04 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Bumper Design

Scott,

Your bumpers are coming out great.

Your pictures sure brought back vivid memories of the similar approach we took on our 63 SWC. We took the same approach on the rear bumpers to hide the mounts and tuck them close to the body.

We also heavily restyled the fronts and one additional thing we did on those was to fully enclose the backside. That though isn't something I would ever suggest to anyone as we drove the chrome shop crazy trying to get them chromed correctly. One shop refused to even attempt to chrome them but I did find one shop who agreed to do them. I came into their shop one day after they made the first attempt and they let me know that that had resulted in their having to drain their chrome tank which disrupted their production line. They were definitely not happy! It took quite a bit of convincing to get them to try one more time.

I can fully appreciate all the thought and work involved in what you are doing. Great job on everything you've done and we'll look forward to the finished product.

Rich
The following users liked this post:
sonksen_design (05-29-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:17 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Exhaust, intake cover, skid plate... moving slow!

I guess that the novelty of posting a lot on the forum has worn off LOL. Well, I felt guilty like when I go for a few months without balancing the check book, so here goes.

No stranger to welding, but the first time I've TIG welded a complete stainless exhaust system. I'm happy with the way it turned out. LS3/4L60E combo meant for some tight spots to thread 3" pipes through! Went with silververt's recommendation on the Borla mufflers, since I know he's got good taste! One big trick was fabricating the rear valance panel bezels. I want a classic look, so it was worth the effort, I think. All welded stainless and polished. I told my polisher dude to do a brush finish on everything under the car, but apparently he couldn't stop himself. Looks nice and he got a tip.

Fancying myself a designer/fabricator, I finally bought an English Wheel. First project was to make an aluminum cover to hide the ugly LS3 'muffler' plastic piece. 5-6 weeks later, here's the result of the effort. I couldn't be more pleased. No, I won't make you one LOL. Not sure I could make MYSELF another one just like it. Needs some further polishing, but I'm VERY happy.

Having busted my share of 'deep sump' oil pans in my life, I always planned on fab'ing a heavy duty skid plate to protect the LS3 pan. 11ga HRS welded plate is well thought out, plasma cut, welded and waiting for the next batch of powder coating. Also made a HD bracket for my custom from bumper mounts.

Time to finish up the bumpers so I can send them off to the chrome shop.

Bet it's 2019 before I post again... I'm slowing down in my old age. Will this build ever get done?

exhaust bezel fab

Mitler Bro English Wheel

intake cover fab

intake cover

intake cover

intake cover

3" SS exhaust

3" SS exhaust

3" SS exhaust

3" SS exhaust

skid plate

skid plate, frt bumper bracket

bezel w/tip

nice rear view!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

Outstanding quality workmanship! Thanks for the update!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nice progress Scott, The exhaust as well as the intake look great! I understand that as life gets busier it is very difficult to have continuity in posting regularly here. I wish I had more time. I haven't shared my latest project here as I just dont have the time. Your attention to details is excellent, keep up the good work, the enjoyment is in the journey, not the end. Brian
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, this post marks SIX years in progress! The good news is that I'm about done (I think) fabricating stuff. All of the custom pieces that I've made amount to years of work, but that's the part I enjoy the most. The body has been 'curing' since 2016, which is really good for fiberglass to settle. The 'dress rehearsal' work has been done such as fitting the bumpers and all of the engine bay work. So now it's time to prep for paint. I've got a good friend with a small body shop in town and he trusts my work enough to basically help me tape and spray the paint. Well, he'll be pulling the trigger on the paint gun. I'll defer to his skill and young eyes any day. So I'm block sanding 600 grit and working out any areas that call for it. The hood and engine bay needed some work, but the rest of the body blocking is looking great so far. Still some work to do while still in sealer. Like welding together the convert top repair pieces. And still (a low estimate) another $2k in minor pieces yet to be purchased. Small change compared to the investment to-date!

Here's hoping that by the end of summer, I'll be dropping everything back in place for the real deal after paint. The goal is to get Rae running and driving by the end of the year. Install the foamed-up interior complete and deliver to the upholstery shop for leather, carpet and rag top. Not holding my breath that she'll be on the road a year from now, but certainly looking like a complete car. Her first year on the car show marathon requires a new enclosed trailer, that after having spent big $$$ on paint and upholstery. So, I'm being realistic. Hey, if I run out of things to do... the 80' comes down from the lift and gets her long-awaited freshen-up!

Improved the fender grill mounting method. These water-jet brackets are now bonded to the fender.

Improved the shifter cable. The previous cable had too much drag due to the tight bends.

Another side line 'distraction' from working on Rae! Dove into the 3D scanning world and I'm finding tons of uses for high-tech hot-rodding! Certainly the most expensive 'tool' I have in my shop now.

Developing CNC'd / 3d printed-bases wiper grills. The goal is to fit the cowl opening and hood much better than original. Option to easily omit the wiper post if desired. This is a prototype. I should have production ready pieces ready by June for paint.

I made a bridge crane for just this type of reason. Worked out great.

Seems like backwards progress??

Can't wait to re-assemble!

Jeeze, the dusty mess returns!
BlackMoon (06-27-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Awesome job!! I just hit the 6 year mark as well and realized of that 6 years it has spent 2 years in other people's shop.
sonksen_design (06-27-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,944 Likes on 890 Posts

Six years is a bit of time, but that is one hell of a nice build!

Happy to see another '63 convertible about ready to hit the streets.

Pat
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Very nice fab work Scott, love the details in the grates, looking good! Brian
Old 06-27-2019, 05:26 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Update on the wiper grills and final prep for paint.

The CNC work and the SLS-printed risers turned out great. One of those things on a nice build that 99% of people won't notice. I love they way they curve and match the body flow around them.

Getting closer on finding the last imperfections on the body! My wife keeps asking why it's taking so long. Can't wait to roll into the paint booth.

BlackMoon (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sonksen_design
Update on the wiper grills and final prep for paint.

The CNC work and the SLS-printed risers turned out great. One of those things on a nice build that 99% of people won't notice. I love they way they curve and match the body flow around them.

Getting closer on finding the last imperfections on the body! My wife keeps asking why it's taking so long. Can't wait to roll into the paint booth.

Very nice. I'd be interested in a set for my 65.
sonksen_design (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 04:13 PM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C2 custom wiper grills

After shimming the hood (hinges and latches are off). I was a little embarrassed by the way the previous pictures looked

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Slow but steady progress. I had friends in Jonesboro, AR lay the Land Rover Verbier Silver down. Inside light doesn't do it justice.

The following 2 users liked this post by sonksen_design:
6 Shooter (11-24-2019), baker19 (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Very nice work as usual. I love the fabrication and design detail. I'm going with silver on my 61 as well. I just have to figure out what I want to do with the coves.
sonksen_design (10-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Just reread the whole thread. Wow. You have incredible talent. Can’t wait to see it in the sun.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,121 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Been watching this a long time, looks like it’s going to be incredible.

One caution with the convertible: shortening those exhaust outlets may cause some exhaust to get sucked into the passenger compartment with the top down, though all the other bumper and valence changes you made make this hard to predict. I’d watch for CO symptoms on your first long drives.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To '63 Convertible RestoMod

Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM
sonksen_design
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thankful at Thanksgiving 2019! Glad to get Rae home from paint. I've never done a 'paint off the chassis' body before and I'm super excited at the quality. Every hour working on the car from here on should be a lot of fun. No deadlines, just plodding along meticulously as always. Enjoying the fruits of thousands of hours and (many) thousands of dollars spent!

The following 5 users liked this post by sonksen_design:
baker19 (11-27-2019), Robert61 (11-27-2019), rtruman (11-28-2019), sbsurfer (09-20-2022), USMC 0802 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 12:14 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Originally Posted by sonksen_design
Thankful at Thanksgiving 2019! Glad to get Rae home from paint. I've never done a 'paint off the chassis' body before and I'm super excited at the quality. Every hour working on the car from here on should be a lot of fun. No deadlines, just plodding along meticulously as always. Enjoying the fruits of thousands of hours and (many) thousands of dollars spent!

Looks Incredible!!

Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,067 Posts

This is another fine car. I know you are very proud of how it's turning out.

Quick Reply: '63 Convertible RestoMod