C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front End Sitting Too High?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,888 Likes on 795 Posts

For comparison, here is a pic of my '65...327/300. Restored 25 years ago.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 PM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Good evening all.
I'm hopefully not stealing the thread, but, I have a question on springs. My 64 has a big block in it and, I think, small block springs, as it is very low in the front. (which I kind of like the look of, but) I'm thinking it will handle much better with big block springs in it. Has anyone made the swap and does it handle better ?
Since I'm in the middle of restoring it anyway, I'm wondering which springs to get.

Thank you !
Dom

Last edited by DomL64; 07-27-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DomL64
Good evening all.
I'm hopefully not stealing the thread, but, I have a question on springs. My 64 has a big block in it and, I think, small block springs, as it is very low in the front. (which I kind of like the look of, but) I'm thinking it will handle much better with big block springs in it. Has anyone made the swap and does it handle better ?
Since I'm in the middle of restoring it anyway, I'm wondering which springs to get.

Thank you !
Dom
Dom, this is an old thread, and I'm thinking that most that have read it may not click on it again, and not see your question.

I would advise you to start a new thread with your question, I think you'll get more interest in your question if you do.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DomL64
Good evening all.

Thank you !
Dom
You may be OK as is.

The 327 springs were used even if the car had A/C (+76), A/T (+34), P/S (+24) and P/B (+7) Total = 141

The SHP 427 added 126.

The 327 with all the options would sit lower than the no-option SHP 427 because the 327 spring was shorter than the no-option 427, but it was a factory configuration and should be OK for ride height.

Both 327 and 427 springs (if no A/C on the 427) had the same rate, so handling will not be affected by springs, BUT the 427 had a bigger front bar and a rear bar so your car will roll more and if it gets into the jounce bumper in a corner, handling will be affected.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Dom, this is an old thread, and I'm thinking that most that have read it may not click on it again, and not see your question.

I would advise you to start a new thread with your question, I think you'll get more interest in your question if you do.
Easy Rhino.
Thanks.
I looked at the last reply date and it was very recent so I went ahead and posted.
I will start a new thread as you suggested.
Thanks again !
Dom
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 AM
DomL64
Pro

Originally Posted by mashinter
You may be OK as is.

The 327 springs were used even if the car had A/C (+76), A/T (+34), P/S (+24) and P/B (+7) Total = 141

The SHP 427 added 126.

The 327 with all the options would sit lower than the no-option SHP 427 because the 327 spring was shorter than the no-option 427, but it was a factory configuration and should be OK for ride height.

Both 327 and 427 springs (if no A/C on the 427) had the same rate, so handling will not be affected by springs, BUT the 427 had a bigger front bar and a rear bar so your car will roll more and if it gets into the jounce bumper in a corner, handling will be affected.
Thank you !
With the body almost off, I was going to buy new springs but the catalogs have 3 different ones. I bought the car with the big block in it and love the power, but figured the guy that owned it never changed the springs. And, since they are now 50 years old, it's time for some new ones.
Thanks again !
Dom

Quick Reply: Front End Sitting Too High?