C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who Can Supply a Correct Lenght Dip Stick '66 327/300

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Who Can Supply a Correct Lenght Dip Stick '66 327/300

I am having trouble finding a correct replacement dip stick for my '66 327/300 engine.
As I understand it from my research the upper tube should be 9" long, natural finish.
The dip stick itself should have a rounded handle, natural finish and should measure 20-5/32" from the seal surface (where it contacts the end of the tube) to the "Full" mark, and 20-59/64" to the "Add" mark according to JohnZ.
I have the correct 9" upper tube now but the replacement dip sticks I've found so far are all too short, measuring 19 1/2" to the full mark.
The short one is what's in my engine at present and obviously it doesn't give an accurate measurement.
Does anyone manufacture/supply the correct appearing and correct length dip stick for a '66 327/300 engine?
Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Thomas
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,986 Likes on 4,806 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

have you tried Paragon or LIC
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
have you tried Paragon or LIC
I couldn't get Paragon to confirm the length. They did note that they were called replacement, not correct and that the handles on theirs were painted black with black plastic plugs on the ends.
The fellow I talked with at Keens was very willing to pull one off the shelf and measured it. He confirmed it was 19 1/2", also with a black painted handle.
I looked in LIC paper catalog and they show black Tip/no dimple for 250-300hp, 65-66, and an unpainted/black Tip/no dimple for all '67's. I'll have to call them tomorrow to see if they're willing to pull one and measure it.
While my car is far from NCRS correct, I try to use correct replacement parts as I am able when the need arises.
Many thanks for the suggestions.

Thomas
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Paragon normally will go out of there way to help you get the right part.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Paragon normally will go out of there way to help you get the right part.
That's been my general experience with them as well, though I did have a similar issue with them about 12 years ago on another car. After I specifically mentioned the measurement I needed and being reassured it was the correct part, once it arrived it was incorrect. Just trying to be pro-active and avoid needless returns. I'm not wrapped around the axle if the correct one is unavailable but if I can, I'd like to use the right one.
Again, my thanks to you for your help.

Thomas
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by BB767
I am having trouble finding a correct replacement dip stick for my '66 327/300 engine.
As I understand it from my research the upper tube should be 9" long, natural finish.
The dip stick itself should have a rounded handle, natural finish and should measure 20-5/32" from the seal surface (where it contacts the end of the tube) to the "Full" mark, and 20-59/64" to the "Add" mark according to JohnZ.
I have the correct 9" upper tube now but the replacement dip sticks I've found so far are all too short, measuring 19 1/2" to the full mark.
The short one is what's in my engine at present and obviously it doesn't give an accurate measurement.
Does anyone manufacture/supply the correct appearing and correct length dip stick for a '66 327/300 engine?

Thomas
Let me check my stock Tom and I'll get back to you. I have a lot of nos early SB dipsticks.

Verne
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by W Guy
Let me check my stock Tom and I'll get back to you. I have a lot of nos early SB dipsticks.

Verne
That would be great Verne. If you do have one and think you can get it through security just put it in your bag and hand deliver it when you fly out for your visit next month. Now you can tell Janet that's the real reason you're coming out, you're going to be a professional courier on a mission.

Thomas
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Getting a dipstick through security might not be that easy. It brings up visions of old Errol Flynn movies.

Verne
Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
leaky4150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doc rebuild pg.93
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Tom,
This one has the right measurements but I thought by '66 they used a different type of sealing cap, either all rubber or a metal can with a seal in it. Maybe someone else will know for sure.
Verne
Name:  Dipstick '64 Corvette.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 05-03-2014, 12:03 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Tom,
This one has the right measurements but I thought by '66 they used a different type of sealing cap, either all rubber or a metal can with a seal in it. Maybe someone else will know for sure.
Verne
Attachment 47791286
Thanks for trying Verne. That one might be the right length but it's wrong style handle and sealing cap.

This is the type/style I need. As of now it appears I've located a correct, nice used one which will work just fine for my purpose. Interesting that I can't readily find a supplier with the correct one.

Thanks everyone for your help. This forum and the C1&C2 section especially, is populated with a pretty great bunch of guys. It's such a terrific resource.

Thomas
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 AM
65h/ddelete
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=BB767;1586799099]I am having trouble finding a correct replacement dip stick for my '66 327/300 engine.

Thomas[/QUOTE

sent pm
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Interesting that I can't readily find a supplier with the correct one.
You can't find a correct one because 1) GM stopped making them over 40 years ago, and manufactured a different Service part instead (stick and tube) to service the application, and 2) Nobody has seen fit to invest in the tooling to reproduce it due to the low volume.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You can't find a correct one because 1) GM stopped making them over 40 years ago, and manufactured a different Service part instead (stick and tube) to service the application, and 2) Nobody has seen fit to invest in the tooling to reproduce it due to the low volume.
Thanks John,

I was just talking with Verne the other night about that very subject and that's the conclusion we came to as well. Not much of a market or need for them. The originals stayed with the engines for the most part and re-conditioning one is fairly straight forward for those that need a pristine one for a Top Flight car. A nice pre-owned; "used but never abused" one will work nicely for my purposes.

BTW, you do realize that since you made that post everyone who has a correct NOS one, set aside in the deep reassess of their garage rushed to measure to confirm it's the right length and then tripled the price they were going to ask for it at the next swap meet.

Many thanks my friend for all you do for us Corvette aficionados. Hall of Fame indeed!!

Thomas
Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Thomas,
Did you see this thread in the parts for sale section?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-dipstick.html

Best of luck with the search. Tom
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

http://www.ncrs.org/classified/index.php?a=2&b=595
Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tommyn
Thomas,
Did you see this thread in the parts for sale section?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-dipstick.html

Best of luck with the search. Tom
Ummmm $350.......for a dip stick..... and they both have shelf wear. They must have read JohnZ post and really jacked up the price!!!! Nothing like trying to take advantage of your fellow Corvette friends. This reminds me of the saying, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Thanks guys for the links. I knew certain Corvette items were a bit pricey but had no idea it extended to lowly dip sticks. My car is not entirely NCRS correct and looks like it will stay that way.

Thomas

Get notified of new replies

To Who Can Supply a Correct Lenght Dip Stick '66 327/300

Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 PM
65h/ddelete
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Ummmm $350.......for a dip stick..... and they both have shelf wear. They must have read JohnZ post and really jacked up the price!!!! Nothing like trying to take advantage of your fellow Corvette friends. This reminds me of the saying, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Thanks guys for the links. I knew certain Corvette items were a bit pricey but had no idea it extended to lowly dip sticks. My car is not entirely NCRS correct and looks like it will stay that way.

Thomas
Thomas sorry I couldn't help you out with your dip stick. did some checking on the one that I have and it's for a "69" 302.
p.s. I agree on pricey for the original that's listed
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Thomas
Tom,
Didn't you know that is at LEAST what I would have charged you if my nos one had been correct?!?!?!?

I keep looking at the avatar under your name and thinking "road trip, road trip".
Thank God when they designed the C2, they made it user friendly for a guy who's 5'18" tall.

Verne
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Tom,
Didn't you know that is at LEAST what I would have charged you if my nos one had been correct?!?!?!?

I keep looking at the avatar under your name and thinking "road trip, road trip".
Thank God when they designed the C2, they made it user friendly for a guy who's 5'18" tall.

Verne
Verne, I pegged you as an honorable and principled guy from almost the first time I met you. Janet's cooking sealed the deal. If I didn't think so highly of you, do you really think you could have gotten me into that "bunny suit"- in July no less- to clean underneath your '62?

The '66 awaits your arrival and should even have a proper dip stick by then.

You claim you can fit in there and I for one believe you.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Who Can Supply a Correct Lenght Dip Stick '66 327/300