C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My LS3 into 64 Coupe Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

why didn't you do a little sanding and spray paint the frame area and firewall .It would of been easy then.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

daz_au,

Great work and photo documentation. This LS swap has peaked my interest as my son just did an LS-1 swap in his '68 Camaro (much to my initial response to go with a vintage motor). He really won me over with his LS-1 and T56 (6 speed) swap. His package turned out to be an "animal". Car is stupid fast.

rtruman, think it was just his initial "will it fit, what issues do I have" install. "Well the engine was in briefly this weekend. I wanted to lift the LS3 onto the mounts to see how close to the "stock location" the Dingo mounts would be and to check for any unknown clearance issues."

daz_au, please keep posting as you fine tune your install. If I ever pull my Gen I small block, this will be the route I will consider.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Thanks ,that will be a fast one.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
why didn't you do a little sanding and spray paint the frame area and firewall .It would of been easy then.
Oh yeah, that was just a test fit to take photos of clearances and make a list of any work needed. The engine is already out and the whole engine bay will be stripped back and painted.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
Oh yeah, that was just a test fit to take photos of clearances and make a list of any work needed. The engine is already out and the whole engine bay will be stripped back and painted.
It will then hopefully resemble this......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...1&d=1402540708

I just finished the project last week, and I'm enjoying the "test drives"!!
Hopefully I will find time to post the many pictures of the 2-1/2 month project. Best of luck with yours......
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM
daz_au
Pro

I was away for work for the past few weeks, so not much work on the car, but I did collect some parts along the way :

1) Front disc kit from MGChevy, kit certainly looks nicely made.
2) New master with disc/drum prop valve
3) Some gauges and a pod. I plan on putting these in the glove box as I want the interior to look largely stock. I want to connect the stock gauges also, but these ones allow me to set limits for temp, oil and fuel pressure so I can set an alarm if anything goes out of range.

I also picked up some ebay adapters for the sensors. I got this T piece that allows me to plumb the original oil press gauge under the sensor used by the LS3. Its hard to see, but whoever made it was sloppy, leaving aluminum burrs on the inside of the tapped holes just waiting to enter the post filter side of my oil system... grrr :

I also managed to get a new shift shaft for the muncie. I *think* the broken one was an original but the replacement I got is identical to the other one I found inside, so it was replaced also at some stage. Here is the broken one and replacement side by side, I believe the broken one is an earlier design.

Installing it was simple and the box in general looked nice inside, but I am no expert. It was certainly smooth shifting prior to removal, so I am going to replace all the gaskets and seals and put it back in service. The countershaft does have the typical leak at the front, I will try the usual fixes there and see how it goes. The front bearing retainer bolts were quite loose though, certainly not to spec, will replace gasket and retighten that also.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good, how's the wiring for the LS coming along?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You can buy replacement Muncie sidecovers with bronze bearings installed for the shifter shafts, it comes with new shifter shafts and seals and with the lock out rooster combs and spring installed for like $140; shifter forks are another $50. Just did all this to my '63.

As to the countershaft leak I recommend the black RTV sandwiched around a thin piece of rubber. Many here have found the RTV alone allows the leak to come back after a while. I used a piece of old toolbox drawer liner rubber. No leaks several thousand miles later.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 PM
daz_au
Pro

Originally Posted by Ausbrian
Looking good, how's the wiring for the LS coming along?
I have a full GMPP harness, essentially one of these.

The only real risk is that there is something different about the sensors on the Holden motor and the controller wont run it or throw codes, but as far as I was able to research, it all looks the same.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
As to the countershaft leak I recommend the black RTV sandwiched around a thin piece of rubber.
Thats good advice, thanks, I have seen a lot of people say the RTV alone doesnt work !
Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM
daz_au
Pro

I forgot to mention that I also came across an exhaust shop last month that was doing a lot of exhaust swaps on brand new LS3 HSV sedans and customers were leaving behind their bimodal (NPP) mufflers. I picked up a pair for $100.... amazing, these are basically new (QA stickers still not burnt off) stainless bimodal mufflers with actuators.

They are not that hard to get working, just need a vacuum line to the rear with a solenoid to control the actuators, then you have fingertip control over mild/wild sound. They are a little larger than the flowmasters I pulled out, but a quick test holding them under the car seems like they will work ok !

Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 AM
daz_au
Pro

I am lucky to have a good friend with a bit of an obsession for good surface prep. He came over this weekend and did most of this work :

Looking really clean and smooth, just half of the firewall left to do this week !

Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM
daz_au
Pro

Good progress on the engine bay this week, had a lot of help from my friend again and got it really clean and primed so its ready for paint.

I also had the waterpump modified and that looks all good, just got some cleanup to do on it before I take pics and put it back on the engine.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 AM
daz_au
Pro

Another test fit today, waterpump looks really good, I am going to fit up radiator and hoses and then work on an intake. I will also layout the harness this week and start looking at the routing. Really happy with how its looking though !

Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Oh yeah!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Have you ran into any other problems? I am considering on doing this when I yank my numbers matcher 327/340hp engine out of my 63

Last edited by TC233; 08-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

what are the pin strips for on the high areas
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 AM
daz_au
Pro

Originally Posted by TC233
Have you ran into any other problems? I am considering on doing this when I yank my numbers matcher 327/340hp engine out of my 63
Nothing too difficult yet, but I am not finished

One interesting one has been engine mounts, seems easy, just buy the plates and bolt some mounts on. So I got some new fancy "energy suspension" mounts last time I put it in and they totally didn't work, didn't allow the engine to drop low enough for the through bolts to go in.

This time I just used the old mounts that came off the 327. Problem is this style of mount didn't clear the plates or block and I had to grind them a bit here and there. Thats not great in principle, plus the rear through hole on the passenger side mount still isn't lined up well enough for the bolt to go in.

Now I have read about people keeping all the bolts loose on the mounts until the through bolts are in and then tighten everything, that might work.... but still this wasn't as smooth as expected.

I need to post some updates and pics, I have been working on a bunch stuff around the engine while it is sitting in place like

* The Z-Bar bracket
* ECU, harness and fuse box mounting
* Intake and airbox
* Mounting electronic gas pedal
* Radiator and heater hoses

I expect at least some of the ways I have solved things will need to be reworked, tweaked etc.... but I am only working on this a few hours at a time on the odd weekend, so only time will tell !

Get notified of new replies

To My LS3 into 64 Coupe Project

Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
daz_au
Pro

Originally Posted by rtruman
what are the pin strips for on the high areas
Ha ! Artifact of the previous owner(s), done a very long time ago, most likely in the garage at home with a roll from the parts store ! You can even see shadows of some that were removed on sections of the paint that appear to be original.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

One interesting one has been engine mounts, seems easy, just buy the plates and bolt some mounts on. So I got some new fancy "energy suspension" mounts last time I put it in and they totally didn't work, didn't allow the engine to drop low enough for the through bolts to go in.

This time I just used the old mounts that came off the 327. Problem is this style of mount didn't clear the plates or block and I had to grind them a bit here and there. Thats not great in principle, plus the rear through hole on the passenger side mount still isn't lined up well enough for the bolt to go in.

Now I have read about people keeping all the bolts loose on the mounts until the through bolts are in and then tighten everything, that might work.... but still this wasn't as smooth as expected.

I need to post some updates and pics, I have been working on a bunch stuff around the engine while it is sitting in place like

* The Z-Bar bracket
* Intake and airbox

I expect at least some of the ways I have solved things will need to be reworked, tweaked etc.... but I am only working on this a few hours at a time on the odd weekend, so only time will tell !

Good stuff. As you go can you itemize the parts you had to buy and/or replace and where you got them. I really want to do this and this winter will be rip apart frame off restore. going to try to do this all at once, frame off, paint, new gauge set, TK0600 hooked to a LS3 525hp
Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

* The Z-Bar bracket
* Intake and airbox

Good stuff. As you go can you itemize the parts you had to buy and/or replace and where you got them. I really want to do this and this winter will be rip apart frame off restore. going to try to do this all at once, frame off, paint, new gauge set, TKO600 hooked to a LS3 525hp

Quick Reply: My LS3 into 64 Coupe Project