C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ground for glove box light

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Ground for glove box light

I am trying to hook up my glove box light on my '63. I found the orange power wire (always hot) and understand how it attaches to the J shaped connection in the recepticle under the light bulb. All good to there. My question is : where is the ground source? Bulb holder appears to be intended to ground thru the metal light holder/lock striker attached to the glove box similar to all the other dash lights.

Problem is that the glove box attaches to the fiberglass dash opening; therefore no ground. Checking the wiring diagram I see something called "instrument compartment light& switch" which I assume is this light. Orange power wire only no ground.

What am I missing? Do I need to run a ground?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You're right the ground is the metal part of the switch into the glove box. There should be a little ground wire that runs from the left bottom of the glove box frame a couple inches to the birdcage below it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Ahaa. Didn't see it. Since I have the shortened plastic glove because on my Vintage Air. T may have to "bubba" a ground directly to the latch striker. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

My 65 doesn't have a ground wire connected to the glove box frame. The frame bolts to the z bar for ground. You can always run a ground if you need to.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Still a little puzzled. I checked my full size glove box that was in previously and it appears to be a cardboard like material held in with screws thru metal speed nuts into the fiberglass dash. Not much conductivity for the ground to the light bracket. It looks like I will have to run a ground from Z brace directly to the light bracket
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Kent in KC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The light socket (with the plunger switch) is inserted through the glove box metal frame which is bolted to the Z-bar providing the ground. The glove box liner has nothing to do with completing the ground circuit.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent in KC
The light socket (with the plunger switch) is inserted through the glove box metal frame which is bolted to the Z-bar providing the ground. The glove box liner has nothing to do with completing the ground circuit.
Kent is correct. I just did this same job on my 63 and there is not a separate ground wire of any kind. The bezel and socket should be one piece if it is an original 63 switch. When you push the socket and bezel through the hole in the metal glove box frame push the bezel firmly into the hole and then your ground is complete. That is all that there is to it. Call me if you have any questions. I am in Seabrook.

Jay
713-253-0475
Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Kent is correct. I just did this same job on my 63 and there is not a separate ground wire of any kind. The bezel and socket should be one piece if it is an original 63 switch. When you push the socket and bezel through the hole in the metal glove box frame push the bezel firmly into the hole and then your ground is complete. That is all that there is to it. Call me if you have any questions. I am in Seabrook.

Jay
713-253-0475
The only wire to the glove box lamp switch in my '65 is the hot wire. The switch grounds through it's metal connection with the metal glove box frame. The attached PDF has details of the switch mechanism. This is for the switch in my '65.
DZ
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Glove Box Lamp Switch-Sm2.pdf (749.7 KB, 404 views)
The following users liked this post:
Greg Hollowaty (04-07-2019)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:03 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

I pulled my glove box out again today. The light mounting bracket/latch striker combo does ground into the metal glove box surround. This surround is affixed to the fiberglass dash opening. There're is no metal contact with the Z bar. I have assembled the light as shown in Tom's diagram. If I run a ground wire from the Z bar to the surround, the bulb lights. So this is how I have done it As suggested, I have a connector on both the orange power wire and the ground to make glove box removal easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
xet (03-05-2021)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
I pulled my glove box out again today. The light mounting bracket/latch striker combo does ground into the metal glove box surround. This surround is affixed to the fiberglass dash opening. There're is no metal contact with the Z bar. I have assembled the light as shown in Tom's diagram. If I run a ground wire from the Z bar to the surround, the bulb lights. So this is how I have done it As suggested, I have a connector on both the orange power wire and the ground to make glove box removal easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Out of curiousity, where does the hinge and spring mount to on your glove box (with three large Phillips screws across the bottom)?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It grounds through the hinge and the spring that bolts to the Z-bar. No other ground needed.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wombvette
It grounds through the hinge and the spring that bolts to the Z-bar. No other ground needed.
I know mine does, I'm wondering why the OP's doesn't.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Out of curiousity, where does the hinge and spring mount to on your glove box (with three large Phillips screws across the bottom)?
OK, I am attaching a few pictures The hinge bar bolts to the metal glove box opening surround. Thus, the door hinge is attached to metal and not fiberglass. Then the door, hinge, box and surround mount as a unit with the 6 screws in the face of the surround to the opening
There is about a 3 inch gap between any of these "conductive" pieces and the Z bar.

Not sure how the hinge could ever directly bolt to the Z bar.
Attached Images    
Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Some aftermarket stuff going on there. And is missing the large mounting bracket.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Some aftermarket stuff going on there. And is missing the large mounting bracket.
Obviously, the door is not original, but I would assume that would not impact this. The shallower glove box was required when I added the aftermarket air(VA), but when I look at the original box liner, it has no accommodation for contacting the Z bar. I'm guessing the glove box metal surround is OEM. This is a very early 63 car-VIN 2100+
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Yes he is missing the large mounting bracket from the Z bar to the glove box frame. Look at the Long Island catalog and it should show you the bracket that you need. That will then complete the ground and the no ground wire is needed.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The lower reinforcement/brace and hinge assembly that bolts to the face of the Z-bar didn't appear until about ViN 3700 as a running change.

Get notified of new replies

To Ground for glove box light

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The lower reinforcement/brace and hinge assembly that bolts to the face of the Z-bar didn't appear until about ViN 3700 as a running change.
Ok, now I'm really confused Mine predates that, so no Z bar brace? I have checked out the vendors and they call for 2 different ones for 63. Pictures seem to show 2 pair of holes on either side of the Vin &Body tags for mounting My z bar has no holes in that location only one to the left just before the vertical on the Z.

Are you saying mine does not use the brace? If not how was ground achieved to the light? I seem to be stuck in a " do loop"!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Yea, I have seen those early ones, but I dont remember how they are grounded.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 PM
fjd
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Way too complicated. I dont have a wire in my glovebox. So I need to rip it out and go hunting. Nor is there anything remaining of a light. Was there a light delete option?

Quick Reply: Ground for glove box light