C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 lower radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
henry63
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 63 lower radiator hose

I learned something today. Bought my car about 5 years ago and have been fixing odds and ends since. Mainly just driving the heck out of it. Installed a new DeWitt's radiator and fan last spring and the hoses looked good, so I just hooked them up and started having fun. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I noticed a climb in temp. Got back to the house and I'm leaking antifreeze. The alternator belt had rubbed a hole in the lower hose. When I started to install the new hose, I noticed the old one had been installed backwards. (radiator end on water pump and water pump end on radiator.) Easy to do, ends are almost alike, but makes a big difference in clearance. Scott
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by henry63
I learned something today. The alternator belt had rubbed a hole in the lower hose. When I started to install the new hose, I noticed the old one had been installed backwards. (radiator end on water pump and water pump end on radiator.) Easy to do, ends are almost alike, but makes a big difference in clearance. Scott
VERY common mistake on midyears - as you noted, it fits either way, but it interferes with the alternator belt if it's installed wrong; many folks have learned this lesson.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. The Vintage Air/Dewitts install is just starting and a 50/50 chance for a mistake usually means I end up on the wrong side. Probably saved my tail.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 AM
GKO777
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, interesting, will check this evening. Could that be the cause of this noise? (after replacing alternator, did not replace belt)

Get notified of new replies

To 63 lower radiator hose

Quick Reply: 63 lower radiator hose