C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need advice on how to get rid of oil spill on concrete floor before painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Need advice on how to get rid of oil spill on concrete floor before painting

A few years ago i built a 2 car garage at my mother house
The weekend i finished the garage all i had left was to paint the floor with the usual gray concrete paint and since my mothers car had a oil leak from the power steering i told her to not park the car in the garage before i painted the floor which i planned to do the next weekend

But my mother parked the car in the garage and the result was a lot of power steering oil on the concrete garage floor so i ended up not painting the floor at all

Note that the oil spill is located at one place on the garage floor

This was some years ago and now i plan on moving back to the house and i would like to paint the garage where i will park my C2 coupe so i
need to get rid of the oil spill that is on the floor

One idea that i have thought of is to lay a fine steel mesh all over the garage floor a put on a new lair of concrete about 2 or 3 inches thick but i am afraid that
the thin top lair of concrete will crack a lot
I can also lay down tiles but i suppose the glue wont stck where the oil spill is

All advices on how to remove the oil spill from the floor are very welcome

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-22-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

You can use Talcum Powder to draw the oil up from the concrete. Once it is the best you can get it a slight grinding of the surface would help a lot. Al W.
BTW, Try a Google search for more suggestions.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

I restored an old auto repair shop that was initially built in the late 1930's.

It had among other things, oil, grease, automatic transmission fluid etc. well engrained into the concrete floor. Here is a link for page 24. Look for posts # 464 and # 474.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=51567&page=24

Those posts describe what I did to remove those stains and prepare the floor.

While I chose to install Armstrong VCT tile over the concrete, the cleaning process described in those posts might be helpful to you.
I do not recommend skim coating your existing floor with new concrete. The new concrete will, in all probability, not adhere to the old and once it starts to detach you will have a real mess on your hands!!
As you'll read, to provide a base for my new tile, the floor was sealed to prevent any potential leftover oil and grease from migrating up through the old floor over time.
My old shop floor was cleaned approximately 8 years ago and I have had no evidence of the tile lifting which tells me the floor was successfully cleaned and sealed.
While I used tile as a finished product, if your floor is cleaned and prepared thoroughly, I suspect with the correct paint, you will be successful. Preparation is key.
Good luck with your project.

Thomas from the Restored 1930's Auto Shop

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51567

Last edited by BB767; 04-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use brake cleaner and a scrub brush. Not sure if it will effect the paint from sticking. Maybe if you used alcohol to get rid of the residual brake fluid. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ive done this too many times. Use a degreaser, I like the citrus stuff, them etch the floor with a 1/3 muratic acid to 2/3 water mix (add the acid to the water NOT water to acid). Brush on the mixture with a push broom. Let it sit for 10 minutes then hose off. Works every time

Don't forget chemical gloves, goggles and work boots.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Note that the oil have been on the floor for at least 6 years

Thanks for all help on how to remove the oil stain

I will try to clean the concrete doing it the way all good suugestions i got here

BB767. I tried your link to read post # 464 and # 474 but when i click on your link i need a login name and a password
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 AM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put race deck or similar flooring down then you don't have to deal with the stains at all.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by 54greg
Ive done this too many times. Use a degreaser, I like the citrus stuff, them etch the floor with a 1/3 muratic acid to 2/3 water mix (add the acid to the water NOT water to acid). Brush on the mixture with a push broom. Let it sit for 10 minutes then hose off. Works every time

Don't forget chemical gloves, goggles and work boots.
This works. I did this to my 22 year old garage floor two years ago before applying a epoxy paint and sealer. The floor today looks as good as it did when applied. As others have stated, preparation is key.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cover the stain with cheap clay kitty litter. Liberally dose with hardware store paint thinner/mineral spirts. Cover with plastic sheeting overnight. Should be gone next morning. If not, treat one more time. This approach works well with minimal effort.

Don
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You Don't Need a Pass Word...

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Note that the oil have been on the floor for at least 6 years....

BB767. I tried your link to read post # 464 and # 474 but when i click on your link i need a login name and a password
The link takes you right to page 24. All you need do is scroll down the page to the appropriate posts. To view the entire restoration shop site (396 pages worth) a pass word is not necessary.
I see you are in Oslo but you still shouldn't need a pass word just to visit and read the site.
Much like the Corvette Forum, visitors can view everything without logging on.
Would you try it again and let me know if you're having a problem. It should work just like the Corvette Forum.
Again, good luck.

Thomas
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Perhaps it is because i`m not in the US but when i click on the link provided by BB767 i get this window telling me to log in and when i click on cancel i get a pink screen

For those of you that have cleaned oil spill on concrete and after cleaning painted it have the paint not started to peel at all?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

When you say covet it with plastic do you mean having it as "airtight" as possible?
Can this method kind of drain the oil fluid up from the concrete?

I have for sure gotten a lot of very great advices here I really appreciate all the great help

Originally Posted by dhutton
Cover the stain with cheap clay kitty litter. Liberally dose with hardware store paint thinner/mineral spirts. Cover with plastic sheeting overnight. Should be gone next morning. If not, treat one more time. This approach works well with minimal effort.

Don

Last edited by TheSaint; 04-22-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I had an oil stain in my paved driveway and a neighbor told me to try Dawn dishwashing liquid. Squirted it on the stain and used a scrub brush on it, rinsed it away and it looked great although it was a fresh stain only days old. They use Dawn all the time on animals that get caught in oil slicks.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Bowlerdude
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Perhaps it is because i`m not in the US but when i click on the link provided by BB767 i get this window telling me to log in and when i click on cancel i get a pink screen
I get a logon screen also.

BTW..Tide works well on oil stained concrete.

Last edited by Bowlerdude; 04-22-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say covet it with plastic do you mean having it as "airtight" as possible?
Can this method kind of drain the oil fluid up from the concrete?

I have for sure gotten a lot of very great advices here I really appreciate all the great help
Yes the idea is to keep the paint thinner from evaporating too quickly. Yes, the kitty litter causes the diluted oil to wick up from the concrete.

Don
Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Browser Problem?

Perhaps it is because i`m not in the US but when i click on the link provided by BB767 i get this window telling me to log in and when i click on cancel i get a pink screen ....
Originally Posted by Bowlerdude
I get a logon screen also.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the link. I suspect your browser is preventing you from seeing the shop thread. Perhaps you have a different browser you could try?
While my computer is an Apple, my wife's is Windows based and she is able to use the link to open up the proper page.
If you're still motivated to read about my old shop floor prep just Goggle: Restored 1930 Auto Shop.
You should get dozens of links to the first page of the thread, go to page 24, then scroll down to post # 464 & # 474.
That should work. That restored shop thread is has been in existence for more than 4 years with close to 3 million views without the need to log on.
Personally I think working on Corvettes is easier than this computer stuff.

Cheers,

Thomas
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default My Approach using a Shot Blaster

Saint,

When I contracted to have my garage floor epoxy coated, I too had some pretty deep, old oil stains.

The outfit used a shot blaster to actually take a thin coat off the concrete and then used a product they provided to fill in imperfections in the concrete.

Here's a pic of the machine used to skim coat or shot blast the concrete.

2nd pic shows it in action

3rd pic shows the contrast before/after.

Last pic shows my "creativity" using a burgundy accent strip to compliment my '5's Milano Maroon.

Definitely folks here have some good suggestions to draw out oil stains. I'm just pointing out that if that fails in your situation, hire or rent a shot blaster to get the job done.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Do not use an oil based paint!

The oil will combine with the moisture and the alkalies and form soap, which will wash of the paint!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/oilstain.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on how to get rid of oil spill on concrete floor before painting

Quick Reply: Need advice on how to get rid of oil spill on concrete floor before painting