C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tail lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Silvette00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tail lights not working

The tail lights on my 65 coupe have stopped working as well as the license plate light. I still have back-up and brake lights though. I recently changed out my headlight switch and it appears to be ok, and the fuse is not out. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,940 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Your bulbs good, does your turn singles work
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If the brake lights work, the ground is good. The brown wire coming off the switch feeds the tail lamps and the license plate lamp. Check very carefully (measure 12v on both sides) of the 2nd and 3rd fuses from the bottom. If you have 12v on the fuses, you may have a broken wire or bad connection in the body connector going to the rear. Also make sure you have the correct two contact bulbs in the sockets. The brake lights and reverse lights voltage comes from a different source, but use the same grounds. You don't have 12v on the brown wire for some reason, possible bad light switch or loose connection at the switch. Double check. Do the front park lights and dash lights come on in the first position of the switch? Do your dash lights work in both positions of the headlight switch, but no taillamps? If the tail lamp switch blows, it will also interrupt voltage to the dash lamps. (so you can tell from the driver's seat if your tail lamp fuse is blown.)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Silvette00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, will check it out when I get home from work.

Get notified of new replies

To Tail lights not working

Quick Reply: Tail lights not working